General Care Discussion :: Turtle antibiotics ?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:12 pm   Turtle antibiotics ?

What antibiotics you offer for turtles ? and what this method of use ? And How much ?
Did u have book or web page for Turtle antibiotics ?
I want some antibiotics store in drag stores and can use in water .
Can use it to help Cold Turtles ?

What antibiotics better for Respiratory Infections ?

Thanx
I want use this information for a red eared slider manual book .
http://lakposhtha.blogspot.com ( My Turt Blog in Persian )
1 Red Ear Slider :mrgreen: :
Name Laki Poki
SCL 4.7 in.
1.5 year
mohamadfar

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:04 pm   

In the US you can't get antbiotics in a drug store, you need a prescription froma doctor or vetrinarian.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
octpusgirl8

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:09 pm   

octpusgirl8 wrote:In the US you can't get antbiotics in a drug store, you need a prescription froma doctor or vetrinarian.

I live in Iran and can get some antibiotis in a drug stores. similar : ampisilin , amoxisilin , tetrasayklin and ...
Name Laki Poki
SCL 4.7 in.
1.5 year
mohamadfar

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:21 pm   

Baytril is one i've heard precribed for turtles, i'm sure that other members who've had to take their turtles to the vet will have some more to add to that.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
octpusgirl8

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:56 pm   

You want someone who know what they're doing (i.e., a herp vet) to prescribe the appropriate antibiotics for a turtle. Dosage generally depends on the weight of the turtle.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:27 pm   

Let me get this straight, you are writing a turtle manual? Will this manual be for local persons in your area that have turtles? Or will this be a manual that will end up on the internet?

In the US and other countries (though I'm not sure which), you have to have a prescription to get ANY antibiotics, whether for your turtle or your dog or yourself. I know in many countries you can just get antibiotics in the store, but even then, if you give too high of an amount, you WILL KILL your turtle. Only a herp vet will know exactly how much to give.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:11 am   

TheComputerGremlin wrote:Let me get this straight, you are writing a turtle manual? Will this manual be for local persons in your area that have turtles? Or will this be a manual that will end up on the internet?

yes , I write Turtle manual . yes . Both , I have Weblog and ye a Book , book not publish yet . my book cover :

and my Weblog : http://lakposhtha.blogspot.com/

TheComputerGremlin wrote: Only a herp vet will know exactly how much to give.

I want know this ...
Name Laki Poki
SCL 4.7 in.
1.5 year
mohamadfar

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:32 am   

marisa wrote:You want someone who know what they're doing (i.e., a herp vet) to prescribe the appropriate antibiotics for a turtle. Dosage generally depends on the weight of the turtle.

Vet in iran not herp ! thay don't know about turtles and other reptiles . I want a herp help me to know this.
Name Laki Poki
SCL 4.7 in.
1.5 year
mohamadfar

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:26 am   

There are no vets on this board as far as I know. I doubt a vet will just give that information out, either, since they spent thousands of dollars and years of their time being given that info. You could try calling some herp vets here in the US or other countries, but I'm going to say I doubt they'll give you that info.

Most of the time when people talk about antibiotics on this board, the vet administers them or the turtle owner is given a syringe that is prefilled with the correct amount. I don't think any of us, or any turtle owner for that matter, would know how much is given. Honestly, the correct thing to write in your book is that if your turtle gets a respiratory infection, it is fatal unless treated with antibiotics GIVEN BY A VET. There is a reason that people go to school to become vets and doctors and why regular people like us don't get that information on our own. Otherwise, we would all be self-treating, which would either kill us or make super-bugs.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 pm   

Any reputable book on turtles, reptiles, etc. would not presume to just give out the information you're suggesting. A sick turtle (or whatever creature) needs to be evaluated first-hand by a qualified vet and then an appropriate medication would be prescribed. That is basically what you should say in your book...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:43 pm   

Well,I don't think that you'll be able to talk to a herp vet that works in the US.You might want to explore the Internet some more,and look for some books about taking care of turtles.
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
TurtleLover_S&B

Return to General Care Discussion