Feeding and Nutrition :: turtle being pimped

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:06 am   turtle being pimped

i think my little turtle is being pimped by my big turtle :shock:
larry chills i under his turtle bridge and lets melissa come up to the glass and do all the begging for him, shes up there dancing and paddling for her dinner(or pre/post dinner snack or pre/post anyother time snack, shes very determined) larry then comes up and takes half of her "profits"
isnt that pimping?

amy
marsspyder

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:11 am   

Turtles are opportunistic feeders and will eat anytime they get a chance in the wild because they can go for days without anything. So in captivity this translates to begging (or stealing from another turtle), because they've learned that if they do beg/wait long enough the big softie they call owner will eventually give them something. :D

Larry has just learned to manipulate the system. Melissa knows if she begs eventually you will give her something(be strong, don't give in ;) ) and Larry has learned how to take advantage of that. This sounds very natural. Any time there's food in the tank they are going to eat whether they worked for it or whether they are even hungry. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:24 pm   

One time my turtle is begging, i continue to let him beg, it been going on for 10 minutes i was like my god, so much engery.. but i feed him =]
Calvin_Jai

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:49 pm   

wow that was funny to read but makes so much sense!
tini

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:22 pm   

That is so cute! when y'all talk about your turtles begging, do they eat from your hand or just beg for you to put stuff in there like some fish do?
Bugs and Stitches,
BethAnn aka: Kipluck, Bob, Mayberry

Nani, Lilo & Heber (& Maggie)... the Sugar Gliders!
Boo(Bonic) and Latte... the Gerbils!
Captain Michaelangelo Tortuga... the Turtle!
Plus Fish
kipluck

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:26 pm   

Kipluck-

My turtle will swim frantically at the glass when most anyone approaches the tank in the hope of some food. I also used to hand feed him at times, but he has become over zealous and kept biting my fingers! :lol:
sweetgarbage

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:45 pm   

i thought you meant x to the z...xzibit came to your house and gave ur turt a sweet paint job and nice new rimssss
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:03 am   

my turt already has a sweet paint job! shes green and yellow(not red) well the other one is green and red...does anyone know how to get a turtle to eat things that sink? like carrots? mine wont even pretend to think about possibly maybe eating anything that doesnt float
awesome! righteous! bodacious! i have always liked...cowabunga
marsspyder

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:42 pm   

Try to get the scent of something "smelly" your turtle likes on them.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:50 am   

larry has decided that carrots are not just the orange things at the bottom of the tank anymore, they're footballs, baseball bats and...edible

he also found out that cuttlebone is edible, which is good

hes still trying to decide of the dock is edible...its not, but hes a slow thinker

he also foung out that hes too big to surf on lettuce now, when he was a baby hed nap on it and drag it with him everywhere, like a securtiy blankie...
awesome! righteous! bodacious! i have always liked...cowabunga
marsspyder

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:58 am   

sonyj wrote:Any time there's food in the tank they are going to eat whether they worked for it or whether they are even hungry. :)

My turtle does not eat when he is not hungry.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:27 pm   

My female RES can eat anything at any moment, my male RES only eats if he's hungry.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition