Feeding and Nutrition :: Turtle Jello Shots

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Did the jello shots work to your satisfaction?

Yes!
86%
No!
14%

Total votes : 120

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:05 am   Jello Shots!

I just went for a shop and have everything for the "Jello Shots"! Can not find Collard??? Is there any other veg that may replace Collard? I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. What the hell is Collard; no one seems to know? Can I mix in organic spring greens...you know the salad greens mix? I know I will have to pick out the spinach; is this a good mix to use? Volare will eat nothing but Krill and organic peeled grapes, he is soooo picky! Amore will eat reptromin sticks and banana, but I have to limit them because she will eat continuously! I have two turtles with opposite appetites! Amore is a cooter and Volare is a RES, both approx 3 years old. He is half the size of her.

I will prepare the Jello Shots tomorrow and hopefully it will be a success...Volare really needs to eat. Keep you posted and thank for all the excellent information everyone!

Cheers :D
Ro

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:05 am   

red lettuce, green lettuce -- collard greens -- look on diet link :)
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
bradmeisel

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:18 pm   

hm.. i just thought that perhaps if one has a sick turtle that needs ORAL medication this would be perfect to hide it in while its still in its jello-ie form... of course i'm not sure how well that would work once it hits water..... you still wouldnt know if they got the whole doseage.. :/ still its an idea!
~amy

Rolo- Female RES 3-4 years ~ lives away from home now :(

Jim- Fiance
Dein211

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:00 pm   

this is probably a silly question BUT do the veggies need to be cooked?
Jociellen

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:47 pm   

nope. theyre better uncooked
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:03 pm   

Last edited by Jinxie6661 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinxie6661

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:33 pm   

Lots and lots of sugar.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
Caphits

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:16 am   

Last edited by Jinxie6661 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinxie6661

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:18 pm   

How do most of you puree your veggies? I don't have a blender, but if I have to buy one I will, just thought I would ask if there is any other way to do it. Also my turtle loves her lettuce so I normally give her 2 leafs of green leaf or red leaf a day. With carrots or some other veggies mixed about once a week. She hasnt shed and has not a very good shell so what would you suggest for a good veggie mix for her? I mostly will use these only 1-2 times a week since she likes her lettcue so much. I have calcium powder and pellets of course already.
Charissa =)
1 RES-Momo
1 Chihuahua-Lily
1 Male Beta-Max
1 New ferret -Riko
lunabebe4

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:58 pm   

I made some the other day finally. I used mustard greens, red and green leaf lettuce, carrots, sweet potato, blue berries, reptical powder,reptomin pellets and sprinkles a few reptitreat dried shrimp on top. I am only giving her these maybe 1 time a week so she gets the blue berries and potato to help with shedding. She loved them frozen though swallowed it up in a matter of minutes. =)
Charissa =)
1 RES-Momo
1 Chihuahua-Lily
1 Male Beta-Max
1 New ferret -Riko
lunabebe4

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:06 am   

Zoologist, thanks so much for this tip! My turt never had veggies until I got her, she only had Wardley's pellets her whole life so she has voraciously eaten most everything I've given her, but I made a batch yesterday and she went nuts on it today! I made mine with collard greens, a little bit of carrots, some sweet potato, a whole squash, a little green leaf lettuce, a slice of tomato, 4 blueberries and a quarter piece of banana. I also added ground reptomin pellets, ground Hikari pellets and ground cuttlebone. I have to travel out of town alot right now due to a family illness so this is great for the babysitter to give Barnie when I'm gone so she can continue to have a balanced diet. Thanks again!
1 RES Barnie, 4 years old
7 dogs, all rescues (Misty, Chewbacca, Lexus, Toby, Sable, Claree, Harley)
1 cat, Eric
trudykurz

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 pm   

Finally got around to making these myself. I delayed because Ralph will eat anything I put in his tank that is remotely like food, and Frankie gobbles up lettuce almost as quick as pellets. But it's hard to get Frankie to eat foods with vitamin E, which she needs. In fact, if it's not pellets, tuna, or lettuce, she'll pretty much ignore it. I upped the tuna + pellets a bit, since I wanted to make sure she'd eat them

So my (vitamin E) mix was:
About 75% sweet potato
A small handful of blueberries
Some apple peel
Little bit of romaine lettuce
About 2 tbsp vitamin E enriched cat tuna
1.5 tbsp Reptomin pellets
The cuttlebone dust I could shake out of the bag (maybe about a tsp)

I did some of mine in sticks, which probably wasn't the best choice esthetically, considering the colour they turned out... :lol:
The glob at the bottom is the stuff I scraped of the plate (Yeah, I spilled it all over. Lovely!).

They're about the thickness of my index finger, and about as long as a pen.

To be honest, I was sceptical, considering they were mostly sweet potato, which Frankie generally ignores. But I was pretty sure Ralph would eat them if nothing else.

Ralph of course, gobbled up like a good little boy. I left Frankie's on the ramp of her basking area, since she was up there at the time. I came back a few minutes later and she had snarfed it! So I gave her another chunk, and she downed it in two bites! I'm glad I can finally get some vitamin E into her!

Thanks again Zoologist :D
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:19 pm   

Bulldog thanks for the info on Vitamin E. I gave Barnie sweet potato for the first time with these shots, and now I steam some for her every few days, and she goes insane. My shots were more green, probably because I had more collard greens in it than anything else. But now she won't eat regular collard greens, go figure!
1 RES Barnie, 4 years old
7 dogs, all rescues (Misty, Chewbacca, Lexus, Toby, Sable, Claree, Harley)
1 cat, Eric
trudykurz

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:49 am   

This is how my turtle jello shot looks like hehehe .. more greener cuz I used 100% of pureed vegies such salad and half cut of sweet potato.. other than dat a little bit of crush pellets, cuttlebone and dried shrimp.. Thats all.

I used the stick ice-maker.

THankS for the recipe~! my turtles damn love it~! ho ho ho~!
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
Azfar

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:46 pm   

I make turtle jello for Cap'n Pockets and Smee. They love it. I only use red or green leaf lettuce for my vegetable since other vegetables are supposed to be used in moderation. Anyway, I was wondering is tuna juice the only thing allowed? Everyone says use tuna juice but it sucks that tuna is packed in such a small amount of water, especially the very low sodium kind. What about using another fishy water like clam juice?

Here's the captain's and smee's lunch.
nom nom nom nom nom nom..

Also, I try to use more vegetables than pellets so I can give them a larger portion of jello.

:D
Ahoy, Crew line up:
1 RES- Captain Pongo Pockets
1 Map turtle: Smee - Second in Command
hoojib88

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition