Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Russian Care

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:30 pm   Russian Care

So, a Russian might be falling into my care, and like any reptilian investment I wanted to check with you guys to see what I'm getting into.
One of my boyfriend's coworkers is giving up his male Russian Tortoise which he's had for several years now. His human family is expanding and he "can't" keep it. So I tentatively said I'd take it if he cannot find anyone else in the office to do so.
The Russian comes with his rubbermaid set up, lights, and extra substrate. From the sounds of things and what I've researched online, this guy has taken EXCELLENT care of his "godzilla" (I'll have to change the name, haha).
But I just wanted to see if any of you experienced tortoise owners have any tips or warnings on owning a Russian.
Would I be getting in over my head?

He's really trying to find a great home for the guy, and frankly I'd love him, I just like to double check things before I leap into something...
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:35 pm   

check out the care sheet on austin's turtle page.. research the crap out of it.. I've never owned a tort so that's all I can offer. If you do take him, make sure you post pics :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:23 am   

Well, after discussing things with my boyfriend and looking at three million care sheets, we've decided to take Godzilla in!
My boyfriend will be telling his owner today, so unless by some freak chance someone jumped at the opportunity to adopt him yesterday, I'll be the proud new owner of a russian tortoise.
He probably won't arrive until next weekend, but I'll be sure and post pictures then!!

Also, if any tortoise owners know of a good forum, I'd be forever grateful. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I keep reading up on russian care.
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:05 am   

Check out the boards on ATP. When I got my boxie, I would have been lost without them.

http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload ... hp?act=idx
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:17 pm   

So Godzilla arrived yesterday afternoon and was already eating by this morning, hopefully this means the move wasn't too traumatic for him :-).

I've gotten a lot of good info from ATP and a russian tortoise forum, so I'm planning on upgrading his bedding in a few weeks when it's time for a change as I don't think the cypress mulch is what I want to continue using.

And here are my first pics of him!!
http://picasaweb.google.com/megcornell/ ... 2379606338

http://picasaweb.google.com/megcornell/ ... 1332883682

I think his beak may need a little trimming. Once things get more settled I figure a vet trip may be in order to file it down.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:57 pm   

He is so cute!!!
1.1.0 - RES - Ichigo & Pan-kun
1.0.0 - Pitbull mix - Coleman
1.2.0 - Kitties - Jojo, Spidey, & Hopi
& hubby David
and now.... porch cats - Macy, Tink & Henry

http://ichigotheturtle.blogspot.com
littlecakes

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:43 am   

Very nice! How big is his entire enclosure?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:24 am   

His shell looks prefect!! I'm very jealous.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:26 am   

I think his owner took very good care of him. They were big reptile fans but I guess with their expanding human family there wasn't room for Godzilla.

His entire enclosure is about 40g which I think is ok for him for now (he's ~5 inches). But I'm going to scope out tupperware bins the next time I'm at a target or walmart so I can get him into something larger since he doesn't have the option of going outdoors in NYC.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion