Other Turtle Discussion :: Do turtles like to be touched?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:39 pm   Do turtles like to be touched?

Would a turtle liked to be pet on the head or rubbed on the shell or something? i could just try but i figured i would ask for opinions first
I have 4 baby RES. Their names are, Bob, Motzarella, Mr.Turtle, and Mrs. Turtle.
Pictures can be found here
http://s408.photobucket.com/albums/pp16 ... 6446dd.pbw
Sniffa

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:47 pm   

It depends on the turtle. Usually, a turtle doesn't like to be handled. Turtle is a
see-only pet most of the time, unlike cats or dogs.

Watch your turtles closely and you'll notice each has its own personality :)
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:50 pm   

Kemul wrote:It depends on the turtle. Usually, a turtle doesn't like to be handled. Turtle is a
see-only pet most of the time, unlike cats or dogs.

Watch your turtles closely and you'll notice each has its own personality :)
oh they definitely act different. One does anything he can to get away. another sometimes will swim into my hand if i put it in the tank.
I have 4 baby RES. Their names are, Bob, Motzarella, Mr.Turtle, and Mrs. Turtle.
Sniffa

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:54 pm   

I don't touch my turtles unless i have to...I treat them more like fish (admire in the tank).Others here hand feed them and have a personal relationship with them.
Keep in mind that turtles can carry diseases like salmonella so make sure to wash and sanitize after handling.
jozzep

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:55 pm   

jozzep wrote:I don't touch my turtles unless i have to...I treat them more like fish (admire in the tank).Others here hand feed them and have a personal relationship with them.
Keep in mind that turtles can carry diseases like salmonella so make sure to wash and sanitize after handling.
i wash before and after handling (i rarely touch them though)
Sniffa

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 pm   

It depends on the turtle. They are all different.

My turtle had a shell condition for a long time and I picked him up every day to check how his shell and skin were doing. This went on for a couple of years. It took him a long time, but he gradually got used to it and now, when I put my hand out, he'll swim right into it. He'll follow me around (sometimes) when we're outside and generally acts interested. He distinguishes my husband and I (the gods that feed him) from other people.

For most turtles it takes quite a while before they trust a person well enough not to object when they are picked up. Even with a friendly turtle, don't let him get within biting distance of your fingers. Even when a turtle knows and likes you, he/she is still a turtle and turtle biting instincts are really powerful.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:11 am   

My turtle doesn't really like being picked up, but if I put my hand in the tank she swims into it. She also lets me "hold her hand" in the water. But she will bite. it's almost playful, but it can still hurt!
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 am   

Turtles don' t like to be picked up. When you do they lose control and cannot swim or get away. I have had mine for years and they tolerate it as they are looking forward to getting fed in a smaller feeding tank. Sometimes they get fooled and I brush off their shell with a tooth brush. They do not like that. They are not contact pets and there is no need to pet them.
Things come to those who wait, - Just remember, someone probably got there first!
mike hill

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:27 am   

You can socialize them, so they are used to it, and depending on the turtle, some really don't mind being handled. I've had plans for my turtles to be in educational stuff, so, they have to be socialized well. Just know that when you have the clean the tank when they are full grown, they will put up a fight.
Last edited by theartbook35 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:35 pm   

I have one turtle who likes shell scratching, and one who hides at the bottom of his enclosure if my hand gets within 5 feet of him. Neither of them like to be picked up. Spike just tenses up a bit, but Sparky tries to bite every time.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
scripta_elegans

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:38 pm   

scripta_elegans wrote:I have one turtle who likes shell scratching, and one who hides at the bottom of his enclosure if my hand gets within 5 feet of him. Neither of them like to be picked up. Spike just tenses up a bit, but Sparky tries to bite every time.

If you pick them up the exact same way every time, they won't be bothered by it. If it's always the same, they know what to expect.
theartbook35

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:59 am   

Generally speaking, they don’t like to be touched. Some tolerate more than others. We must remember that these are reptiles and not mammals. The only time mine like me to have my hand near them is when I have food in it.
Things come to those who wait, - Just remember, someone probably got there first!
mike hill

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:29 am   

mike hill wrote:Generally speaking, they don’t like to be touched. Some tolerate more than others. We must remember that these are reptiles and not mammals. The only time mine like me to have my hand near them is when I have food in it.

True, true. Heh, some mammals, like my cat Spike, don't even like to be pet. One moment he's rubbing heads with you, like you are his snuggle-bug, then he randomly turns around and bites your face. Nothing can be done about this, because it coincides with his breed (Egyptian Mau).
theartbook35

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:58 pm   

mine likes to get pet under his head. i swear. he freaks out then i just pet him under his head and he calms down and looks at me
turtledlucas

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 pm   

My turtle does not like being picked up, and hides in his shell VERY deeply when I do pick him up. The only time I pick him up is to scrub his shell. I always give him an extra special treat, like tuna, whenever I do, because I know he doesnt like it one bit.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
Caphits

Next

Return to Other Turtle Discussion