Other Turtle Discussion :: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:42 am   

theartbook35 wrote:My belief is, if you aren't willing to take care of a turtle, don't get one.

I think that many people are very very ignorant on how big/requirements/care/diet when they first get a turtle.

"Oh look at this cute little turtle for $5."

I think that most people (me) buy them on a whim, and have done almost no research beforehand.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
Caphits

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:18 pm   

I've absolute no researches on them before too .

I am a Singaporean - There = RES legal, the size of 1"+ is already salable . SGD2 bucks is usually how much they cost .
2 Mini. Schnauzers - Yukie, Sukie.
3 Red Ear Sliders - Winina, Winana, Winona.
3 Fire-bellied Newts.
A monster fishes community tank .
twyangzii

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:27 pm   

Caphits wrote:
theartbook35 wrote:My belief is, if you aren't willing to take care of a turtle, don't get one.

I think that many people are very very ignorant on how big/requirements/care/diet when they first get a turtle.

"Oh look at this cute little turtle for $5."

I think that most people (me) buy them on a whim, and have done almost no research beforehand.

Like my father, for example.

I love raising them, but I just spent 66 dollars on new tank stuff. Even if that's the cheapest I could find, it's still a big chunk of money coming out of my pocket. Imagine what is spent when they will upgrade to a 30 gallon.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:31 pm   

Country:New Zealand, they can be sold, bred, and owned in New zealand we have no turtles in our waterways.
Four Red eared sliders..
Lola, 7 Years old. (Female)
Junior 4 Years old (Male)
Spongebob, 4 Years old (Male)
Raphael, Raf-eye-l, 18 Months old. (Unsure)
Joel

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:55 pm   

Its my understanding (after reading the entire code book) in Missouri you are legally allowed to have 5 class 1 animals of any one species (all turtles except snappers are class 1) but it is not legal to sell/trade/purchase any native species and if you have more then the legal limit you have to get a breeders permit.
Proud Mom to:
Kippe (10 yr Mainecoon)
Echo (6 yr Cocker)
Bambi and Poop (1 yr old Gerbs)
and Charger (<1 yr RES)
MommaEich

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:05 pm   

General Status: Allowed as pets, but no longer allowed to be sold in petstores. Selling between breeders/hobbists is allowed.
Wildlife Status: Not native.
Polly

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:48 am   

RES are totally legal...they are selling it like a candy :(...it's sad to see but that's the fact. It cost less than half american dollar.

Most of people got bored easily and treat them badly :(.

I got Kame because My inlaw's friend got bored with her. I bought Kroten because she looks so misrable in the shop (she didin't have nail, and there was soft spots on her shell)
My Baby Turtles:
Kame : My spoiled one (R.I.P)
Kroten : My beautiful RES
Papoe : My Emydura Schultzei (Pink Belly Short Necked Turtle)
Kurome : My Chinemys Revesii (Chinese Three Keeled Pond Turtle)
Underneath The Shell
Youtube
novroz

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:52 am   

BullDog wrote:Country: Canada
General Status: Legal to sell and own at any size.
Wildlife Status: Considered an invasive alien species.

*No live turtles or turtle eggs may be imported.

I am in Alberta and I'm pretty sure it is illegal to sell RES but you are allowed to own them. I have seen other species of turtles sold but never RES.Mine was bought in BC.
heather822

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:07 pm   

I live in Florida and cannot buy a RES anywhere, no matter the size. I found mine crawling across yard and apparently it is okay for me to keep him. Apparently we are overpopulated with a non-native species, but the truth of the matter is that farmers have self dug reservoirs to hold water for growing season to spray on the crops. Farmers also like to stock these ponds with trucked in bass and bluegill, perch and whatnot. RES's like to get in those ponds and eat those same fish! Farmers get mad and have legislation passed. It's a bunch of crap. Here's a similar story, when I was a young kid about 15 years ago, I used to go to this huge 700 acre reservoir to swim and fish and dodge gators. An older man slipped on a concrete boat dock while loading his boat and broke his hip, sued the parks dept. for not keeping algae off boat ramp. So fish and wildlife put 100 plecos in the reservoir in hopes that they would keep boat docks clean. Now 15 years later there are 100,000 plecos in that reservoir and they are in the process of draining it, uprooting 1,000''s of gators turtles birds and poisoning and killing every last fish just to get rid of plecos they added to it. All in the name of a clumsy guy falling and castnetters tired of pulling plecos up every cast, they are going to kill millions of different forms of life and ruin an ecosystem for years to come. Buraucracy is something else
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
jay2487

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:49 am   

Found this website (since it's local to me) and it's got a great set of resources. Scroll about halfway down to "Legal Issues" and it has a breakdown state-by-state for several states. I can't speak for how current it is, but it's a good starting place.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/matts.html

MD residents: A permit is required if you own more than one turtle of each native species, including eastern box turtles and native painted turtles.
New Maryland regulations went into effect March 31st, 2008. Eastern painted, midland painted, northern redbelly, stinkpot (common musk), muds (Kinosternon subrubrum), terrapins, eastern box, snapping turtles, North American woods, and spotted turtles are regulated but CAN BE kept as pets under certain conditions. Please contact the MD Department of Natural Resources at http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/captive.asp for information on owning a native turtle in MD. Please e-mail matts_adoptions@hotmail.com or call 301-785-3390 if you have questions about MD regulations before adopting.

AL residents: If you can find the state wildlife code that allows you to keep a subspecies of Terrapene carolina, shipping will be considered.

CT residents: An importation permit is required for all wildlife, whether native or not. There are exceptions for certain species that are common in the pet trade and don't pose a risk to native species. Contact the CT Department of Environmental Protection to see if you can obtain an import permit. Contact Dale May, Director, CTDEP Wildlife Division, Dale.May@ct.gov

GA residents: We cannot place eastern box turtles or any Terrapene carolina subspecies, common map, Alabama map, Barbour’s map, alligator snapper, spotted, or diamondback terrapins in GA due to state wildlife regulations unless you possess a scientific or educational display permit. Visit http://www.georgiawildlife.org to learn more.

OH and IN residents: Your state requires a permit for eastern box turtles and other native turtles. Box turtles must be microchipped in OH and IN. Native reptiles, including red-eared sliders must be microchipped in OH.

MS residents: Mississippi requires a hunting and fishing license to keep native species, and limits native species to four per species per person without a permit. http://home.mdwfp.com/

MI residents: We can ship at least one eastern box turtle to MI per resident. Please check your state regs if you want more than one eastern box turtle or any other native turtle. Residents of Detroit are not allowed to have reptiles.

NY residents: New York requires a permit for North American box turtles. Please visit http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/ to find laws about turtles in NY. Currently, we cannot place native turtles into NY unless you supply a copy of your NY permit.

NJ residents: Your state requires a permit to keep turtles, but the permit is fairly easy to obtain. To obtain a permit to keep or breed turtles in New Jersey, call the NJ Department of Fish and Wildlife at 609-292 9591 or go to http://www.njfishandwildlife.com - click on "regulation" and click on "other", then click on Exotic and Nongame Wildlife Species Possession Permit application (Hobby Permit). You can download the application for a permit and mail it in. Proof that a turtle was not wild-caught in New Jersey is required - all MATTS turtles come with an adoption contract and ID number that serves as proof.

PA residents: New regulations went into affect January 1, 2007. We cannot place eastern box turtles or any other native turtle into PA as a result. Please contact Chris Urban of the PA Fish & Boat Commission at 814-359-5113 to learn more about PA regulations.

TN residents: We will NOT ship to TN residents due to the difficulty of interpreting TN health code regulations.

VA residents: No permit required, but there are number limits. Your state allows up to five individuals of any given native species that is not threatened or endangered, but does not have a permit for breeding, and does not have a permitting system. So, you are allowed five eastern box turtles, plus five of any other native species not considered state threatened or endangered, but no more than five of each.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:06 pm   

I do turtle adoptions in my spare time, so I've compiled a list of states that I know don't allow RES or don't allow them to be sold.

It is illegal to SELL red-eared sliders in OR, TN, VA, NC, IN, FL, and NJ. There may be other states, but these are the once I know about. I suspect it's illegal to sell them in WV, but I haven't been able to prove that yet. OH requires a permit for keeping and selling red-eared sliders.

- OR doesn't allow them, period. Any found by authorities in OR will likely be euthanized.
- NJ doesn't allow the sale of any turtles, but you can have RES and other turtles in NJ with a permit.
- VA allows the possession of up to 5 RES per person, but no selling. They're considered "naturalized" (NOT native) in VA.
- FL allows RES to be kept as pets IF they were in possession before the regulation when into place (2008?), and "color morphs" are allowed to be sold, but not "regular" red-eared sliders. It's illegal to send a RES to FL unless it's going to a licensed dealer, who can then breed and sell OUT OF STATE. I guess if you find a "feral" RES in FL, you can keep it, just so long as you're not selling or trading within FL.
- IN does not allow the sale of native species, and they consider RES to be native. You can own them in IN, but there might be regulations about how many you can have. A permit may be required in some cases. IN doesn't allow the possession of turtles under 4".
- NC allows them as pets, but none can be sold in NC. There may be number limits or a permit required in some cases.
- TN doesn't allow the sale of any native turtles, and it appears that thier health code prevents bringing turtles into the state. I'm not completely clear on that, so you'd want to talk to a TN wildlife agent to check on the regulations.
- OH requires a permit for keeping and selling red-eared sliders.
- TX allows up to 6 per person. I'm not up on the TX regs right now in terms of breeding, permits, and selling. I thought it was illegal to sell native turtles (they consider RES native) in TX without a permit, but I could be wrong. I know that they can be harvested from private land for commercial sale, though.
- MD requires a permit to keep a turtle under 4".

It is an FDA federal regulation - all 50 states - that makes it illegal to sell baby turtles (under 4" in shell length) as a pet in connection with a business. So, "hobbyists" can sell baby turtles, and they can be sold for "bona fide" scientific or educational purposes. Since the FDA does not consider a mall kiosk or pet store to be "bona fide", the sale of a baby RES as a pet from a mall kiosk or pet store is illegal.

I donn't know where people are getting their information on PA, but sliders are NOT native to Pennsylvania. In fact, last I heard, the state of PA was doing a study to see how RES are affecting the native turtles, especially the northern red-belly. As far as I know, RES aren't native to the east coast, unless there's a population in western GA. Yellowbellied sliders go from FL to VA on the east coast.

Katrina
Katrina

Post Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:36 am   

Joel wrote:Country:New Zealand, they can be sold, bred, and owned in New zealand we have no turtles in our waterways.

there are lots of documentation of RES in the Waikato River in the North Island of NZ. apparently there is a colony of them living there. even though the authorities say they wont breed in the wild here as it is too cold. mine lay eggs outside but dont have a male.

we have 5 species of sea turtles around the north island. anyone can sell and breed them. which is odd because we have such strict laws on everything else.
Amy Loves her RES
Bindi&Bubbles both adult RES unknown age
4 huge apple snails, 15 various pond fish
Saffron the staffordshire bull terrier
Muffin the cat
amylawton

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:52 pm   Re:

TheComputerGremlin wrote:State: Ohio
General Status: Native
Captive Status: Able to be sold over 4", no household limit
Wildlife Status: Can be taken from the wild
Personal Experience: Turtles and turtle supplies sold in pet stores, have seen hatchlings sold at markets

State: Pennsylvania
General Status: Native
Captive Status: Able to be sold over 4", no household limit
Wildlife Status: Can be taken from the wild
Personal Experience: Turtles and turtle supplies sold in pet stores

State: New York
General Status: Native?
Captive Status: Able to be sold over 4"
Wildlife Status: Should not be released into the wild
Personal Experience: Turtles and turtle supplies sold in pet stores, have seen hatchlings sold at markets

State: West Virginia
General Status: Unsure
Captive Status: Able to be sold over 4"
Wildlife Status: Unsure
Personal Experience: Turtles and turtle supplies sold in pet stores

State: Florida
Cannot be sold in Florida, can be shipped out of Florida to other states, cannot be released, cannot be bred, if you already own one, you can keep it.

I live in south florida, my mom gave me one which landed in the pool.. tiny lil res, plus... our lakes are packed w. turtles... specially the everglades..
Spiky - 7mo Wild Red Ear Slider
Toni Montana - 6mo Gold fish
Shiner - 4mo went fishing the last life bait lives in the tank
Goldie - 3mo gold ish
Loner - name says all
Survivor - i caught in the lake
pics: www.facebook.com/mbombonato
TartarugaVerde

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:22 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

"NJ residents: Your state requires a permit to keep turtles, but the permit is fairly easy to obtain. To obtain a permit to keep or breed turtles in New Jersey, call the NJ Department of Fish and Wildlife at 609-292 9591 or go to http://www.njfishandwildlife.com - click on "regulation" and click on "other", then click on Exotic and Nongame Wildlife Species Possession Permit application (Hobby Permit). You can download the application for a permit and mail it in. Proof that a turtle was not wild-caught in New Jersey is required - all MATTS turtles come with an adoption contract and ID number that serves as proof."

Apparently I need a permit, like most things in New Jersey. What nonsense :roll: I have read and heard that RES are native to NJ and my area, but in the 20 years I've lived in New Jersey, I've never seen any in the wild.

-Spike
Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. -Heraclitus of Ephesus
Spike 7.62

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:23 pm   Re: Are RES legal in your state/country?

Are hatchlings illegal to sell in all states?
Cherrio (RES)
Lady Grey (Grey Tree Frog)
Michigan J. Frog (Green Tree Frog)
Heinz (House Gecko)
Pampers (Mourning Gecko)
----------------------------------------
Miss you Grundig <3 (Mississippi Map)
OxymoronFromMars

PreviousNext

Return to Other Turtle Discussion