Other Turtle Discussion :: Be careful when making online purchases...

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:53 pm   

The internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are government agents.
EmperorTunaFish

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:15 pm   

EmperorTunaFish wrote:The internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are government agents.

Well said ^___^
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:29 am   

EmperorTunaFish wrote:The internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are government agents.

Oh, and here is a great reason, speaking of the internet, why you should NOT go on websites like eharmony and match.com:

My mother met her ex-boyfriend on one of those dating websites.

He choked her twice, came after her with a sword, then put Hurricane and Typhoon in a microwave, turned it on for a few seconds then took them out. I thought for sure the next time we went back to the house I was going to find one of both of my cats dead.

Low and behold I saw my mother on match.com last night again. Oh hell no. I'll wait for the right moment to bring this up to her. She needs to start meeting people face to face first, lying on the internet and giving someone a superficial first impression isn't fair for her. She needs a real man.
theartbook35

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:58 am   

theartbook35 wrote:

Oh, and here is a great reason, speaking of the internet, why you should NOT go on websites like eharmony and match.com:

He choked her twice, came after her with a sword, then put Hurricane and Typhoon in a microwave, turned it on for a few seconds then took them out. I thought for sure the next time we went back to the house I was going to find one of both of my cats dead.

Low and behold I saw my mother on match.com last night again. Oh hell no. I'll wait for the right moment to bring this up to her. She needs to start meeting people face to face first, lying on the internet and giving someone a superficial first impression isn't fair for her. She needs a real man.

I'm sorry, but this post makes no sense what so ever.......
Dating sites have nothing to do with your mom meeting an azzhole.If she met him at the supermarket it would have been the same thing.A dating site is just a tool that gives you the "chance" to meet someone.After the initial date, it's just the same as any other dating situation, and it's up to you if you want to keep seeing that person or not.
I met both my ex and my current fiancee on match.com and many women in between.Although they all kept saying i was the only "normal" guy they met, i can only speak from personal experience.
jozzep

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:10 pm   

jozzep wrote:
theartbook35 wrote:

I'm sorry, but this post makes no sense what so ever.......
Dating sites have nothing to do with your mom meeting an azzhole.If she met him at the supermarket it would have been the same thing.A dating site is just a tool that gives you the "chance" to meet someone.After the initial date, it's just the same as any other dating situation, and it's up to you if you want to keep seeing that person or not.
I met both my ex and my current fiancee on match.com and many women in between.Although they all kept saying i was the only "normal" guy they met, i can only speak from personal experience.

Marc is just one example. Every man she's met on the internet seems like a really nice person at first, then turned out be very disrespectful later on. They are the kind of guys that act very down to Earth and normal, and then when you start dating them they show their true colors.

Yeah, he would've been the same person if she met him in a supermarket. But it would've been more noticeable. If you meet somebody in person first, and have never spoken to them on the internet, they can't lie to you, or pretend to be something they aren't. There's a whole lot of body language and mannerisms that you can't see through text, a nature people have about them that makes their actions plainly obvious. I knew it wasn't going to last shortly after I first met him. I didn't expect it to get as dangerous as it did, but I knew it wasn't gonna be a picnic either.

I think my issue with the dating sites is, she has very few girlfriends, and the friends she does have, she won't go hang out with. I know she's 53, but why can't she call up one of her friends, and drag her down to the beach or downtown New Haven, and have a good time? Go to an event where she can meet people and mingle. Ya know, have a normal social life. I may spend a lot of time on this site, but I spent twice as much time with my friends. You don't have to be my age to do that, either.
theartbook35

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:41 pm   

theartbook35 wrote:
Marc is just one example. Every man she's met on the internet seems like a really nice person at first, then turned out be very disrespectful later on. They are the kind of guys that act very down to Earth and normal, and then when you start dating them they show their true colors.

You just described every guy on the face of the earth when they meet a woman....At first you try to be perfect, then you chill and become yourself.Some become weirdos i guess.
After the first time the guy wigged out, why didn't your mom dump him then?
Could it be that your mom has some work to do with her choice in men?

theartbook35 wrote:Yeah, he would've been the same person if she met him in a supermarket. But it would've been more noticeable. If you meet somebody in person first, and have never spoken to them on the internet, they can't lie to you, or pretend to be something they aren't. There's a whole lot of body language and mannerisms that you can't see through text, a nature people have about them that makes their actions plainly obvious. I knew it wasn't going to last shortly after I first met him. I didn't expect it to get as dangerous as it did, but I knew it wasn't gonna be a picnic either.

You don't start a relationship online...
You send a few emails then start talking on the phone till you decide to go out on a date.On the date you can see the body language and all the stuff you're talking about.If you click,great, if you don't, you delete the number and move on to the next.

theartbook35 wrote:
I think my issue with the dating sites is, she has very few girlfriends, and the friends she does have, she won't go hang out with. I know she's 53, but why can't she call up one of her friends, and drag her down to the beach or downtown New Haven, and have a good time? Go to an event where she can meet people and mingle. Ya know, have a normal social life. I may spend a lot of time on this site, but I spent twice as much time with my friends. You don't have to be my age to do that, either.

That could be possible if she had other "single friends".They could be Thelma and Louise.But if her friends are married, they have their own lives......
jozzep

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:31 pm   

Yeah, I'm a little leery on buying stuff online. One time my sister thought she was buying a purse, but they just sent her a picture of the purse, so it wasn't illegal.
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
TurtleLover_S&B

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:14 am   

Just to remind everyone, the more off topic something gets, it gets locked and then it won't be a helpful sticky anymore. You can PM to continue the dating topic!

And I can understand it's rough if you are offering the turtle and the tank to meet somewhere safe and in the middle. I just wanted to remind people (esp. our younger audience) that not everything is always safe and it's often best to meet in public. I am on a few "freecycle" boards that there is the occasional person who requests to meet in public. Most people (since it's free stuff) just stick it on their porch and don't want you to see them or knock on their door.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:17 pm   

That is true. For my big/electronic stuff I either bring someone with me or meet in a mall parking lot.

Some ad will have an address posted, so you can check it with http://maps.google.com Even if you just have the postal code, you can punch it in with the city and province/state. From there you can decide whether you want to go there or make a meeting place. Sometimes you can reverse lookup a phone # the same way, but most posted are cellular and not land.
EmperorTunaFish

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:07 am   

I was looking at getting a baby turtle. The pet shops around us only have juveniles. I looked online and found a website. [name removed] Has anyone ever gone through this site? They are selling hatchling RES for $9.95. It just seems weird to me. Anyone at all gone through this site please any info will help.
SabrinaF

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:42 am   

Ok the name of that website is turtlesale [not reputable]
SabrinaF

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:45 am   

SabrinaF wrote:I was looking at getting a baby turtle. The pet shops around us only have juveniles. I looked online and found a website. www.[name removed].com Has anyone ever gone through this site? They are selling hatchling RES for $9.95. It just seems weird to me. Anyone at all gone through this site please any info will help.

That site is horrible, and this is the second time today i hear about it. the problem is that when you google "buy a turtle" that site is THE FIRST that pops up.
If you want a reputable dealer, PM me and i'll point you in the right direction.
On another note, RES are the cheapest turtles money can buy, so yes i believe that that is the price. They buy them as low as $1 each if they buy 1000! So they make a 900% profit on them.
jozzep

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:35 pm   

Jozzep. I just started using this site I have no idea how to PM. But we have a turtle who is 5.5 " and we only have a 20 g right now but I would like to get a smaller one also. I live in Minnesota.
SabrinaF

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:24 pm   

Wow I hadn't heard about the woman that got killed after meeting with a seller on craigslist! I recently purchased a used tank for my turtle on craigslist and went to see it alone. Thank goodness the seller was a really nice lady and had the tank outside for me to view. I later went back with my boyfriend to pick it up. But from now on I will take someone with me to begin with, thanks for the info.
Twilite25

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:32 pm   Re: Be careful when making online purchases...

I don't like buying snakes from pet store unless they are ridiculously healthy, but anyways, a Petco worker, yesterday, was trying to convince me to buy a snake online instead of in the store. Her reasons were because they never carry special colors inside the store, and that snakes online are cheaper.

See, there is a big issue that I have with buying any reptile online, whether it be from craigslist, or a retailer: You can't examine the condition of the animal until after you get it. Yes, it may be the color you want, or the age you want, or the gender you want, but it may turn out to be very ill or, it may not like you. And there isn't exactly a return policy for a LIVING THING.

Besides, the snake I was looking at, she may not have been albino or a pale tan color or whatever, but her personality was wonderful and she was healthy. THAT is what I am looking for most. I had to keep mentioning to her that I'm not one of those collector people. Pets are family.
theartbook35

PreviousNext

Return to Other Turtle Discussion