Urgent Care :: shell issue and something comes out from his butt!!!!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:08 pm   shell issue and something comes out from his butt!!!!

i rear RES for almost 2 years. recently i found that there is some mud-like thingy coming out from his butt(a$$hole), it is black in colour and its quite a big clump, and when i walk near him, the clump will back into his stomach through the hole. i wonder whether i can remove that by force? or that clump thingy is his internal organ? what should i do??

another question, my RES have problem on his shell too. his shell is in curved-up shape. what cause this problem and how can i solve it??

thanks.
stryxker

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:29 pm   

Congrtates you have a male turtle. The black thing would be his male member so please don't remove it.

Pictures for the shell issue would help.
2 - RES
-Slider 5.5" male
-Luckie 5"
1- eastern painted turtle - Anubis 5.25"
1- southern painted turtle - AmunRa 2.5"
1- northern dbt - Tiki 4"
1- concentric northern dbt - Isis 5"
2 - DSH cats Spike and Grim
tammi

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:11 pm   

as far as i concern, the pet shop owner told me that my turtle is a female turtle(considering the bottom is flat), and me myself also read about that facts on a website before. sure the black thingy is his male member? cuz my turtle seems to be kinda in pain when the black thingy comes out from his butt...
stryxker

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:19 pm   

How larger is your turtle? Is. Its front claws long or short and is the tail thin or thick. A picture would help.
2 - RES
-Slider 5.5" male
-Luckie 5"
1- eastern painted turtle - Anubis 5.25"
1- southern painted turtle - AmunRa 2.5"
1- northern dbt - Tiki 4"
1- concentric northern dbt - Isis 5"
2 - DSH cats Spike and Grim
tammi

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:32 pm   

For RES, the shape of the shell is a poor indicator of male/female. There are three good indicators:

1) The opening on the tail. If it seems very close to the shell, it is likely a she. Also, the tail will be shorter and stubbier. Further away and longer and thinner, male.

2) The front claws. If your turtle resembles Wolverine, you have a male. However, female claws can look rather large if you don't have a male for comparison.

3) The boy parts. They are a dark purple/black and protrude at random, rather alarming times. You can search the forum, I know at least one photo is floating around.

Your best help will come with some photos. Try to take a clear photo of the curving of the shell, as well as the front claws, and the underside of the tail while extended. It's hard to take some of the photos, so I recommend taking as many as you can and hopefully one will be less cloudy. You need to upload them to an independent hosting site, like Flickr, and you post the photo link to the site here.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:42 am   

TheComputerGremlin wrote:For RES, the shape of the shell is a poor indicator of male/female. There are three good indicators:

1) The opening on the tail. If it seems very close to the shell, it is likely a she. Also, the tail will be shorter and stubbier. Further away and longer and thinner, male.

2) The front claws. If your turtle resembles Wolverine, you have a male. However, female claws can look rather large if you don't have a male for comparison.

3) The boy parts. They are a dark purple/black and protrude at random, rather alarming times. You can search the forum, I know at least one photo is floating around.

Your best help will come with some photos. Try to take a clear photo of the curving of the shell, as well as the front claws, and the underside of the tail while extended. It's hard to take some of the photos, so I recommend taking as many as you can and hopefully one will be less cloudy. You need to upload them to an independent hosting site, like Flickr, and you post the photo link to the site here.

He's "obviously" a male from what she described.
Petstore clerks don't know jack....(most of them)
As per the shell, we need pics to give you a good answer.
jozzep

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:59 pm   

the front claws really are a give away.
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
bradmeisel

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:37 pm   Re: shell issue and something comes out from his butt!!!!

stryxker wrote:i rear RES for almost 2 years. recently i found that there is some mud-like thingy coming out from his butt(a$$hole), it is black in colour and its quite a big clump, and when i walk near him, the clump will back into his stomach through the hole. i wonder whether i can remove that by force? or that clump thingy is his internal organ? what should i do??

another question, my RES have problem on his shell too. his shell is in curved-up shape. what cause this problem and how can i solve it??

thanks.

Please dont pull that out. Your turtle will not like that...
Also you really should post a picture to show the shell.
1 Red Eared Slider- Izzy (female)
corey7144

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:20 pm   

str-er If it is not a worm it is something he ate. Years ago I had one to eat the carpet that was on the ramp. I noticed fibers coming out of his rear and pulled it out as it exposed itself. With my assistance and a laxitive he got over it. I removed the carpet. m.
mikee

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:22 am   i saw same

hey .... i saw the same sh... coming out from my turtle too ..... so whats that?????????????????
vozhyk

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:56 am   

zuse

Return to Urgent Care