General Care Discussion :: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:41 pm   

So Gimli has had rocks now for 2 full weeks. I was thinking that he was the exception but I was wrong. I found at least two large pieces and a good bit of smaller, sand sized pieces.

I really hope he doesn't have too many more to pass, but I guess time will tell. I had gravel for years!! Poor little guy...
"Some People Juggle Geese"
Gimli

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:01 pm   Thank you so much for this post...

Two days ago, I noticed gravel on Tee's basking platform. Didn't think anything of it as I thought the gravel had just gotten stuck to her. Yesterday I noticed more gravel next to her poo.
I came in here and saw this post as I searched for a "do they eat gravel" post.
I promptly removed all of the gravel, but didn't like the look of an empty bottom tank.
So hubby & I went to one of the local pet stores and bought some flat rock (shale) and a couple pieces of "wonder rock" (which is beautiful when wet). We also went to Hobby Lobby and got a couple bags of large river rock & a couple bags of large flat deco glass marbles (normally used with flowers)...we used these to fill in the empty spots. Added back her normal deco and I have to say that not only does it look better, but it is 100% safer for her.

Again thank you for posting this & making it a sticky...Tee thanks you too! :D
Mommy of...

1 dsh: Lavoisier
3 puggles: Angus, Hamish & Dougal
1 RES: Tee
Tee's mommy

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:05 pm   

Thank you! I have since replaces the gravel with river rock, not only is it easier to clean the tank with them my turtles are loving it

2- slider buster and eugene
2-R3S Buster & Eugene
1-African Side-Neck Herman
1- Nicaraguan Slider
1- Concentric Diamondback Terrapin
:D 5 total

RIP Samus
Moose

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:31 pm   

I had gravel for a while and decided no substrate at all is best because either way with turtles it becomes very dirty and bigger rock is harder to clean, since Ive removed the gravel it makes feces very easy to see and to net out immediately, thus keeping an overall cleaner tank.
Mr. T - Midland painted turtle, 4.5" Carapace
Red Tiger Oscar, 55 gal. Tetra tank, Whisper Power Filter 60, 200 watt submersible heater, Penn Plax Turtle Topper, Penn Plax Aquarium Background w/ Sea View, 100w Ceramic infared lamp, 26w UVA/B
warnereg

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:11 pm   

I've always read that anything that your turtle can put in his or her mouth shouldn't be used in the tank as decoration or substrate. I used larger fish gravel when they were really tiny and now I just use medium to large river rocks.

@1981camaroz28- That's interesting to know about the aquarium sand, I've always been curious about using it. How do you clean the sand? or do you just toss it?
I read on a site a while back that sand was bad to use, but it was a site dedicated only to hatchlings. I don't know, baby humans always poop sand after a day at the beach and it doesn't seem to bother them, haha.
Oh PS, it's REALLY easy to use just river rocks, it looks nice if you get enough to cover the bottom. I use a cyphon 1-2 times a week to suck debri from between and under the rocks. The ph levels are fine, and I only do a complete tank cleaning once a month. :) You could try it, but I think if you're turtles are healthy and happy with sand, just keep it.
Katherine <3
Mr. T - RES, 1 1/2 years
Michaelangelo - RES, 1 1/2 years
Katherine

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:34 pm   

Thanks so much for posting this. I put gravel in when I got my two turtles a month ago maybe. They keep eating and pooping out the pebbles. They poop about 5-10 out at a time. I thought it was ok cause they were coming right back out. Now I'm really worried. I need to get rid of the gravel ASAP. I hope it isn't to late.
RedSliderLove

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:31 pm   

If this natural behavior is so deadly, how is it turtles have survived millions of years with so many species alive today. Birds do it, other reptiles do it, the dinosaurs did it.
After finding different turtle forums, I noticed the parroting of the "don't use gravel" statement seemed kinda bandwagon to me. Plenty of scare tactics very little evidence. So I did my own research over a few weeks time and I respectfully disagree. I'm sure on a rare occasion a turtle may reach an ill fated end. However to say "don't use gravel, it kills turtles" is like saying " don't travel in cars, people die in accidents"
Now you don't have to agree with me. But if someone finds the advice too bandwagonish and the evidence too anecdotal, then I suggest you do your own research and come to your own conclusions.
pbullblue

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:32 pm   

I took the gravel out and they are still pooping rocks. Now my tank looks really nasty with their poop floating around. It's hard to keep cleaning it more often now. I have a huge tank. They seemed ok with the little rocks. They are pretty big turtles and the rocks were pretty small. I don't see how it would hurt them. Thanks for everyone's advice.
RedSliderLove

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:02 am   

This happened to me as well, i got a RES for christmas and i had no dock for it and all stores were closed so i was screwed. So despite warnings i used gravel to create a beach. Bad idea, i wanna say my Izabella was in thier for about 4 hrs And then i found a nice stone to use as a beach so i dumped the gravel. Its been 2 days and shes been pooping gravel. I found a couple peices yesterday that i removed and today i found 3 more peices. Gravel sucks for turtles, in my opinion it doesnt even look good. I order some nice smooth river stones that i think will look very natural, it will be easier to clean( no need for a strainer, like you need when washing gravel) and most important river stones are to big for your turtle to eat so they wont get clogged digestive tracks. DEFFINATLEY Dont use Gravelif you want your babies to stay safe.
1 RES (Izabella)
Richman118

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:14 am   

pbullblue wrote:If this natural behavior is so deadly, how is it turtles have survived millions of years with so many species alive today. Birds do it, other reptiles do it, the dinosaurs did it.
After finding different turtle forums, I noticed the parroting of the "don't use gravel" statement seemed kinda bandwagon to me. Plenty of scare tactics very little evidence. So I did my own research over a few weeks time and I respectfully disagree. I'm sure on a rare occasion a turtle may reach an ill fated end. However to say "don't use gravel, it kills turtles" is like saying " don't travel in cars, people die in accidents"
Now you don't have to agree with me. But if someone finds the advice too bandwagonish and the evidence too anecdotal, then I suggest you do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Well as far as i know it cant be good because the gravel my turtle pooped was bloody. I dunno why anyone would risk hurting thier turtle. And i know that thier is gravel everywhere in the wild, but i think a big pond or lake haz alot more going on then our little tanks. The turtles have much more exploring and swimming to do so they probally could care less about gravel. I dunno, im no turtle expert, but i do know i will nver use gravel again after the gravel ive seen my turtle pass.
1 RES (Izabella)
Richman118

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:53 am   

pbullblue wrote:If this natural behavior is so deadly, how is it turtles have survived millions of years with so many species alive today. Birds do it, other reptiles do it, the dinosaurs did it.

You are right. But How hard can it be to remove your gravel and minimize the risk of a dead turtle? Its a hazard that can be avoided easily
1 RES
1 convict
2 black neon tetra
3 Minnow
Lilsaint

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:10 pm   

I said you didn't have to agree with me. I'm glad you're willing to do the research and not just adhereing to general forum concensus. :roll: :lol:
pbullblue

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:08 pm   

When I used a ten gallon tank for my baby RES, I had dollar size river rock. I was able to clean the tank every week because the filter was small. I purchased a larger tank and currently do not use any type of rock, gravel, or sand. It allows me to vacuum the bottom easily.
bigG

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:57 am   

sittin in my mums at the mo. but read this because i had heard conflicting stories about gravel in the tank. As soon as i get home tonight because am paranoid now. am glad this was made a sticky because i have only had a turtle for around 2 months now and i have learnt alot through this site and my mates dad. if it wasnt for this site i dont think i would have been able to look after my harvey as well as i have.
MUMMY TO
JACK 1YR BLACK LAB
HARVEY AROUND 3YRS YELLOW SLIDER
weepixieni

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:57 pm   

I read this sticky a few weeks ago and went into a really over the top panic. anyway i got rid of my gravel and went for big peebles each just over an unch in size and when i clean out my tank am still finding gravel that the wee dude had pooped out thanks very much for this info.
MUMMY TO
JACK 1YR BLACK LAB
HARVEY AROUND 3YRS YELLOW SLIDER
weepixieni

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion