Feeding and Nutrition :: How to tell if a guppy is pregnant

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:44 pm   

My son has one breeding female and she will eat them as quickly as they come out. I don't what type of guppy you have but typically she wil now have no color (or light color) and be at least twice the size of the very colorful males. If she is really pregnant, which i an betting she is, she will have the babies in about a month.(I think that is how long. truthfully i have never looked at a calender. I'll let you know for sure because his girl had her last set on christmas and due very soon.) Also as a rule of thumb if you have a male and female together you can just about put money on it that she is pregnant.

If you want to save them pet stores carry breeding tanks that are same and very cheap. Just go in and ask someone about them and how they work. They should know that info if not pm me and I'll help you.
"I will love him and hug him and pet him and squeeze him and I will call him George." Hugo the Abominable Snowman
2 cats - Cali , Maia
dog - Ubu
turtle - Froot loops
hamster - Senior
2 fish tanks
2 gliders - Luka, Jade
curiousmonkey

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:49 pm   

Ok are the females the ones without the dots? Cause I have like two with dots and the one I think is pregnant has a black underbelly. And I have no idea what tyep of guppies these are. Just your average feeder guppies I guess.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:10 pm   

Yes, the females are the ones with black dots on their underbelly. Females are usually pregnant for about 22 days. A female can actually have five sets of babies without ever seeing a male in between births, because they can save up the sperm for months at a time. Believe me, they will reproduce very quickly.
andywoo87

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:02 pm   

Ok that's just gross about saving up...and I'll have to keep track on how long I have these girls. I've had them for a week now so we'll see how long it takes before the babies pop out.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:18 pm   

I'm a grandma!!! I saw only one so far swimming around. I have no idea where the rest are. But I know I have one baby!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:24 am   

Congrats!!!! :D
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
I am Tortuga's slave :)
Az^FolkSinger

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition