Feeding and Nutrition :: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:01 pm   

size: 6 in
habitat: indoor

sunday: Zoomed pellets
monday: leffy greens
tusday: carrots
wensday: zoomed pellots
thursday: random veggies
friday: leffy greens
saturday: fruit

treats(and frequency): kreel, blueburrys, earthworm. one every other week.
dethTr0ll@hotmail.com

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:08 pm   

Age of RES: almost 4 months.
Size: 2''
Habitat: Indoor

Feeding Schedule:
Monday-Sunday: Nutrafin pellets (4), medium sized piece of romaine lettuce.
* Every other day she will get a small piece of cuttlebone.
* Treats: small piece of tuna, blueberry (1 every other week).
Charlotte - 1yr old RES
Turtle Mummy 101

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:27 am   

after reading everyones diet list mine is embarrassing but im being honest.
unknown age
(size of a dvd cover)
outdoor pond/indoor tank
everyday i offer them pellets and various veges and fruit from yr what to feed lists. i have never seen them eat any of them. i have grown watercress and duckweed in the pond and they dont seem to eat them either. ive tried starving them but they get aggressive and fight and start chomping the pond fish. ive tried the jello shots. they eat shrimp, dried fish, tadpoles, snails from the pond, chicken, locally made turtle meat but not vege. the last tough love vege forcing led to a massacre of apple snail

Update: after another toughlove stint they ate blueberry! a fruit/vege first!
Last edited by amylawton on Sun May 23, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amy Loves her RES
Bindi&Bubbles both adult RES unknown age
4 huge apple snails, 15 various pond fish
Saffron the staffordshire bull terrier
Muffin the cat
amylawton

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:01 pm   Paris

size: 5.5 in
habitat: indoor

Food:
Pellets on a bi-daily basis
small goldfish (feeder fish) on an almost daily basis. We buy a dozen and usually do 2 a day until they're gone, then we wait for about a week and do it again.

Treats:
cooked chicken (small pieces on the basking rock)
just bought a small container of river shrimp (the dried ones or whatever) and Paris loves them!

I have tried veggies and fruit and she practically refuses to eat them. I'm still trying new things, and am looking forward to trying out the things on the site!
chantal.charbonneau2426

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 pm   

Size: 5.5 in female
Habitat: Indoor

Food: Sat n Sun-pellets
Mon-Friday-veggies
Carrots and fruits about once a week when my mom buy them.
Rosy Red 5 a month.
1 RES
1 convict
2 black neon tetra
3 Minnow
Lilsaint

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:34 am   Re:

Safdar wrote:Turtle Age-Aprox. 3-5 months
Turtle Size- 1 7/8 inch
Turtle habitat (indoor/outdoor): indoor

Sunday- 5-6 pellets, Veggies ( i try to feed it to him but so far he has no interest.)
Monday-4 pellets, Carrot (which he eats)
Tuesday- 5-6 pellets, Veggies( i try to feed it to him but so far he has no interest.)

Wednesday- Fruit
Thursday- 5-6 pellets, Veggies( i try to feed it to him but so far he has no interest.)

Friday- 5-6 pellets, Veggies( i try to feed it to him but so far he has no interest.)

Saturday- 5-6 pellets, Veggies( i try to feed it to him but so far he has no interest.)

Treats (and frequency)
Rosy reds
Tuna

Hi, My turtle is about the same size as yours!!!

Here is how i got Spiky-wild RES to eat veggies, two methods, make sure veggies are fresh =)
1-Make sure your turtle is hungry and didn't eat in the last 8hrs min, then hand feed, entertain your turtle with the food if your chases your finger...

2- make a small tiny salad for your turtle with all the greens and then sprinkle some crushed reptomins, like the powder tiny little pieces over the salad, like a cesar salad...lol.... give it a try.... make sure your turtle is hungry...

Turtle Age (Aprox): 4 months
Turtle Size (SCL): 2INCHES/1.3oz
Turtle habitat (indoor/outdoor): INDOOR

Sunday- ReptoMin-Baby 3pcs and 5 Turtle Bites Veggies/Fruits Based x2 daily
Monday- ReptoMin-Baby 3pcs and 8 Turtle Bites Veggies/Fruits Based x1 daily
Tuesday- Potatoes, Carrots, Greens, Watermelon, Grapes, Apple
Wednesday- ReptoMin-Baby 2pcs and 2 Turtle Bites Veggies/Fruits Based x1daily
Thursday- ReptoMin-Baby 3pcs and 5 Turtle Bites Veggies/Fruits Based x2 daily
Friday- ReptoMin-Baby 3pcs and 8 Turtle Bites Veggies/Fruits Based x1 daily
Saturday- Mixed Diet

Treats (and frequency)
-Turtle Delight Dried Shrimp 3 little ones, i find it odd because when i was feeding Spiky shrimp he grew too fast!
-Variety of feeder fishes from the petshop not many... i would buy some and add to the tank and Spiky will eat it, when i do that i feed feed pellets
Spiky - 7mo Wild Red Ear Slider
Toni Montana - 6mo Gold fish
Shiner - 4mo went fishing the last life bait lives in the tank
Goldie - 3mo gold ish
Loner - name says all
Survivor - i caught in the lake
pics: www.facebook.com/mbombonato
TartarugaVerde

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:40 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

plus veggies and fruits... what is NOT good for RES?

Goldie - 3mo gold ish
Loner - name says all
TartarugaVerde

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:00 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtles age: Around 3 years
Turtle size 4 inches
Turtle habitant indoor 20 gallon soon to be in a 40 gallon
I don't have a schedule down for Ranger yet but i kinda pieced one together.
Sunday-Saturday Pellets 1-2 days of a few crickets and worms
The days i try to give him vegetables i leave the lettuce/carrots and other veggies in there for him to eat if he does not eat them then it turns into one of his off days.
It sucks that he hates vegetables cause i don't know how to get him the nutrients that the veggies give to him through other foods other then his pellets which i would hate for him to get stuck on. He hates his jello shots i even tried dipping the veggies in tuna water.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:00 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Ranger The Red Ear Slider wrote:Turtles age: Around 3 years
Turtle size 4 inches
Turtle habitant indoor 20 gallon soon to be in a 40 gallon
I don't have a schedule down for Ranger yet but i kinda pieced one together.
Sunday-Saturday Pellets 1-2 days of a few crickets and worms
The days i try to give him vegetables i leave the lettuce/carrots and other veggies in there for him to eat if he does not eat them then it turns into one of his off days.
It sucks that he hates vegetables cause i don't know how to get him the nutrients that the veggies give to him through other foods other then his pellets which i would hate for him to get stuck on. He hates his jello shots i even tried dipping the veggies in tuna water.

Really, no veggies at all?.... i got mine to eat potatoes like this: whenever you are cooking/boiling something w/ chicken or beef, just add the potato... then cut in pieces and serve... it will add the taste of the broth of the beef or chicken...
Goldie - 3mo gold ish
Loner - name says all
TartarugaVerde

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:11 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Well today i bought him a few anacharis for him and he liked them. So thats kinda good i might put some red leaf lettuce with the anarcharis to trick him into eating it haha
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:54 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle Age (Aprox) 4~5 years
Turtle Size (SCL) 4 1/2 inches
Turtle habitat (indoor/outdoor) indoor

I alternate between pellets and a modified jello shot recipe. Day one he gets pellets, day two he gets jello shot.

For the jello shots I just pureed a bunch of different lettuces (romaine, red leaf, green leaf, and radish leaves), mixed with gelatin and water and sprinkled little bits of reptomin on top.

And of course, I throw in a chunk of cuttlebone every couple of days.

Treats (and frequency) : I give him 2-3 blueberries every week as I heard it's good for shedding and he really needs a good shed. This is only a temporary "diet" for shedding purposes.

Question: how many pellets should my RES be getting considering age/size? I know the rule for feeding is the amount of his head but that's a lot of pellets, and I've been reading that people only feed about 4 pellets a day.

And is his diet a good one? Not a lot of variety... I will work on that once I become a more experienced turtle owner (I'm new!) but I think it's a healthy one because it contains the staple pellets with the needed veggies. :)
Karawr

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:34 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Karawr wrote:Question: how many pellets should my RES be getting considering age/size? I know the rule for feeding is the amount of his head but that's a lot of pellets, and I've been reading that people only feed about 4 pellets a day.

That amount is for hatchlings (under one year old). You can do it every other day or twice a week... up to you.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:33 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

steve wrote:
Karawr wrote:Question: how many pellets should my RES be getting considering age/size? I know the rule for feeding is the amount of his head but that's a lot of pellets, and I've been reading that people only feed about 4 pellets a day.

That amount is for hatchlings (under one year old). You can do it every other day or twice a week... up to you.
Okay well if I want to do it every other day, how many pellets should I be giving? 10?
Karawr

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:50 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

That would depend on the pellet, but that sounds OK. The reference amount is if the head were hallow, excluding the neck.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:53 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle Age- I've had them . . . . approx 5 months. 2 of them.
Turtle Size- about 2in
Turtle habitat- Indoor, 20gal tank

On my days off from work, they get only Jello shots- because I have the time to clean up afterwards. Their shots are made from only lettuce and a little salmon, and one small apple peel.

Sunday- Fish flakes or lettuce, pellets
Monday- Fish flakes or lettuce, pellets
Tuesday- Fish flakes or lettuce, pellets
Wednesday- a Jello shot each
Thursday- Fish flakes or lettuce, pellets
Friday- Fish flakes or lettuce, pellets
Saturday- a Jello shot each

About every other day they get a fish food 'snack' in the morning, a very small amount because of the protein but they seem to enjoy chasing the little flakes and it gives that one feeder minnow that ALWAYS survives a chance to eat.

On the other every other days they get lettuce in the morning, type varies by whatever salad mix/lettuce I have around. Usually at least some red leaf and other varieties, I try to mix it up every week and give them good variety. It sometimes takes them a day or two to eat it all. They are both eating their greens well now.

Afternoons they get the amount of pellets that is appropriate for their head size, then I take them out and put them under their UVB light for a while. I think it aids digestion (?) but I have no idea.

Treats- I put a new piece of cuddle bone in on cleaning day when the old one is gone. Usually about every week or so.
About once or twice a month I'll drop in some fruit that I'm eating, like blueberries, cherry pieces, anything new that I don't think is toxic really.

About every other month I end up going to PetsMart for one reason or another, and I get about 6 feeder minnows and as many of the tiny 'nuisance' snails I can convince the attendant to catch for me. Shiloh suddenly becomes brave and eats most of the minnows right away, others linger for a while. One always seems to last until the next round so far. I hope I didn't just jinx him :?
Speedy loves to hunt snails, and will spend DAYS making certain she's got them all. They don't get fish flakes when they're eating the actual fish and snails, don't want them to get too much protein. I also skip the pellets for a few days and put in plenty of greens.

Suggestions?
BiteyBits

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition