General Care Discussion :: Turtles On Top Of Each Other?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:31 pm   Turtles On Top Of Each Other?

My two RES are always sitting on top of each other at night? They will both get up in the basking area and then one will climb on top of the other and they will stay that way all night? They don't do it every day but alot.. is this normal?
Carina
Working Mommy of 3
Califmommy9

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:31 pm   

yes that is quite normal..the refer to it as stacking so not to worry :)
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
I am Tortuga's slave :)
Az^FolkSinger

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:47 pm   

lol, it sounds funny, turtles stacking....why would turtles do that, you dont see people of same or different gender laying on top of eachother, or do you.....:shock:

sorry, i know, that came out wrong, as long as you dont have a sick mind....it wont affect you...(wow, people are nasty....)
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:30 pm   

They will stack for the warmth, to be nearer to the heat, but they're stacking all night? Do you have the lights on all night? (If you're using a red heat light or another form of heat that doesn't give off light, this doesn't apply.) If the lights are on, they should be off so your turtles can sleep (the lights will interfere with their sleep cycle). Lights should be on for an average of 12 hours a day, slightly less in the winter months would be good. Using a timer would be good as well.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:51 am   

That must be it!! I could never find out any info on whether the lights should ever be turned off and I have been so worried about them basking enough I dont turn any of them off! Poor things.. they are probably pissed! I ll have to go turn them off right now!
Carina
Working Mommy of 3
Califmommy9

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:37 pm   

i turn off my uvb light at night but keep the basking light on because thats what somebody told me to do, but i should turn them both off?
odevicto

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:28 pm   

Yes you should have both lights off a night. You should simulate a day/night cycle. Which would mean the lights are on longer in the summer than the winter.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion