Other Turtle Discussion :: FEEDER FISH QUESTION

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 pm   FEEDER FISH QUESTION

I have 2 red ear sliders. 1 is Med size and 1 baby. How oftern should I feed feeder fish to my turtle. I buy the small guppies like 2 dozen. I bough the last batch last week and since a week past their is only 2 left. Can I buy once a week or since you can't contol how much feeder fish they will eat. Is it too much. 1 bigger turrtle doesnt eat all in one sitting but I am worried I will over feed him since I can't control how much feeder fish he eats. Is is it healthy for him I read mixed answers and everyone hass their own opion and I would think anyone to know best is someone on here. They say it is good exercsie since he does chase them. Please advise.

Thank you
brett5

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:30 pm   Re: FEEDER FISH QUESTION

I feed my turtles by hand. I freeze the fish first then feed them. By freezing them you kill any parasites and have some control who get what and how much. I lay them in a piece of wax paper and freeze them. They are easy to retrieve and divy up. Good Luck!
mikee

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:59 pm   Re: FEEDER FISH QUESTION

Feeder fish should only be fed once or twice a month to your turtles since it has allot of protein. You could always buy allot of them and setup a enclosure for them to live in. Also they can breed and you won't have to buy anymore.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:05 pm   Re: FEEDER FISH QUESTION

Ok so feeding feeder fish once a week isnt healthy. I have a 55 gallon that looks pretty empty with out fish and only 2 turtles. So it bad to get feeder fish once a week then is too much protein bad. I read it is good exercise for the turtle to try to catch the fish asnd once a week is fine. i love going out and buying new fish but the DANIOS which are very fast fish didnt last long so the only option is small feeder guppies Ik now gold fish are too dirty. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
brett5

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:49 pm   Re: FEEDER FISH QUESTION

To much protein can cause there shell to pyramid and your turtle to grow to fast. You can feed the baby 2-3 fish a month since they need more protein when they are young. But the older one how big is he? If he is full grown then 1 fish a month.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:48 pm   Re: FEEDER FISH QUESTION

Oh I see so getting a dozen fish a week of the very little guppies still have a lot of protien. My turtle is 3 yeards old may med size I dont think fully gorwn. Any fish do you suggest would live good with them. How about a stone fish? I know they r posionis but do you think my turtles with mess with him since he looks like my placo and they dont mess with hte placo
brett5

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:47 pm   Re: FEEDER FISH QUESTION

My turtle ate 2 plecos. I wouldn't put ANYTHING poisonous in with the turtles. My favorite "feeders" are rosy red minnows. They are pretty quick. I find that if you want your feeders to last a little longer (give the turtles something to chase rather than them just get eaten the moment they hit the water) the best thing to do is take the turtles out of the tank (I just let Pickle sit in a rubbermaid for a while, he doesn't like it, but it won't kill him) and let the fish acclimate to the tank for a half an hour or so. If I just throw the fish in they are in shock from the water change and get nailed right away, but letting them get the "lay of the land" gives them a fighting chance.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:36 am   Re: FEEDER FISH QUESTION

I know this is very late and I am newer to taking care of turtles, but I didnt even know of feeder fish till now. I looked it up and I have no interest in getting feeders also. I just go to my local fish bait/shop store and get a half scoop of fish. A half scoop at the fish shop is 60-70 fish and for only 2 dollars. I throw the fish in the tank and the turtle eats as many as he wants. He eat 5-8 fish a day until winter hits. Once winter comes around like most turtles should do in winter, they will hibernate.
Shadowfang64009

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:05 am   Re: FEEDER FISH QUESTION

Hello,
Some long time turtle keeper only feed live feeders as a treat or if an eating issue comes up. Several a day a lot of protein , unless a baby which needs it. Say around 2'' introduce veggies for me at 3" its diet is 70% greens. You will find feeders at stores look poorly kept , sickly , overcrowded , and share parasites. Anything that goes in my regular tank will be quarantined fish / turtle anything , true even for a regular fish tank never right in.
In my 50 plus years of turtle keeping to me its all about the health of my friend. That's why I have a 70 gallon plant tank with quarantined feeders in it...I breed my own food , healthier.
Any pictures , what size is he/she ? Indoor or outdoor setup ? Indoor turtles may slow down but don't hibernate unless forced to. With a good indoor habitat they don't need to hibernate.
litefoot

Return to Other Turtle Discussion