General Care Discussion :: Aquarium salt?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:27 am   Aquarium salt?

Hi there everyone! Hope everyone is doing well.

Lately I've had the pleasure to have the knowledge to answer some other people's questions, which makes me feel like I'm learning so much on this site.

I have a question though about aquarium salt. I have 7 feeder fish of some kind, 5 little guppies, one blueberry tetra and one strawberry tetra currently living in my tank with Niko my red eared slider turtle. I was watching videos on youtube about how to clean your aquarium. For their fish they used water conditioner and most used aquarium salt also. Should I be using aquarium salt for my fish? Or is it harmful to turtles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much everyone and love you all.
my.lovely.turtle.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:32 am   Re: Aquarium salt?

I see aquarium salt in every fish tank my local pet store has but none in their turtle tank. I wouldn't really think it would harm the turtle but I don't know much about the salt.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:40 pm   Re: Aquarium salt?

Some people do use aquarium salt in turtle tanks. It's supposed to help keep up water quality and help prevent the growth of bacteria. I've never used it, so I can't attest to it's effectiveness.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:58 am   Re: Aquarium salt?

So in other words none of you guys on here use it?
my.lovely.turtle.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:27 am   Re: Aquarium salt?

I use it in fish tanks but not the turtle tank...the salt is good for gill health & slime coat of fishes, neither of which the turtle has, so I never bothered. I'm really not sure if the salt would hurt the turtle or not, I would think that if the salinity was TOO high it could sting their eyes and possible damage the kidneys, but I doubt that normal levels of "aquarium salt" (as opposed to "marine salt & sea levels of salinity) would do that. It's not something I would want to try without doing a lot more research, and honestly I wouldn't do it for the simple reason that the way my turtle tank is set up I have a huge amount of evaporation from the tank. I already get a lot of "water stains" on my tank glass...it would be 10x worse w/ the salt. Just in 20 gallon fish tank that I do use salt in, I actually have to scrape crusted salts off the hood all the time :P
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:16 am   Re: Aquarium salt?

I used to but did not have any noticeable results to my RES :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:29 pm   Re: Aquarium salt?

Aquarium salt will not hurt your turtle if you follow the directions when using it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:24 pm   Re: Aquarium salt?

I put aquarium salt in but only for my oscar and other fishes that live in there. My turtles are fine, no harm to them how so ever. It's suppose to help keep your fishes healthy and bacterial growth. I suppose it'll help your turtle keep up their health a bit but I'm not sure. It's only if you have it already and have fishes. Not really a big deal. My family is big on fish raising and since we already have it then I might as well use it. Don't run out and buy it just for your turtle I suppose.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
n00bEmpty

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:29 pm   Re: Aquarium salt?

imderanged wrote:I use it in fish tanks but not the turtle tank...the salt is good for gill health & slime coat of fishes, neither of which the turtle has, so I never bothered. I'm really not sure if the salt would hurt the turtle or not, I would think that if the salinity was TOO high it could sting their eyes and possible damage the kidneys, but I doubt that normal levels of "aquarium salt" (as opposed to "marine salt & sea levels of salinity) would do that. It's not something I would want to try without doing a lot more research, and honestly I wouldn't do it for the simple reason that the way my turtle tank is set up I have a huge amount of evaporation from the tank. I already get a lot of "water stains" on my tank glass...it would be 10x worse w/ the salt. Just in 20 gallon fish tank that I do use salt in, I actually have to scrape crusted salts off the hood all the time :P

I have the same problem with just my normal water..
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:18 pm   Re: Aquarium salt?

So my fish in my turtle tank will be fine without it?
my.lovely.turtle.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:23 am   Re: Aquarium salt?

my.lovely.turtle. wrote:So my fish in my turtle tank will be fine without it?

Yes they will. But if you're planning on having a dedicated fish tank with more.... unexpandable fishes then go ahead and get it.
1 Mississippi Map Turtle 3.25'' (Landslide)
1 Ouachita Map Turtle 4.0'' (Hurricane)
The rest of the turtles have been adopted to good homes. :)
n00bEmpty

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:44 pm   Re: Aquarium salt?

I use aquarium salt in all of my aquariums and it works out well. You have to be careful not to put in too much. You will need a Parte Per Thousand Hydrometer. I put in enough to raise the needle to the first two marks and stop there. I started years ago when I got some of my fisrt turtles from brackish water and the seem to do fine. Whit that little abount of salt it did not seem to kill any and feeder fish I put in at later dates.
hill

Return to General Care Discussion