Habitat - Indoor :: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:46 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

I was originally going to go with a Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite for a controller on this setup. I realized I only really needed two things for a turtle... 1. lighting control and 2. Auto Top Off.

For the lighting... I took advantage of the time of year and found a digital timer on sale in the holiday lighting section of my local Walmart. $15 got me a digital timer with integrated rechargeable battery backup and two outlets. If the power goes out, the built in battery keeps the time-of-day and the on/off program information saved. I chose the one with two outlets so I have one outlet for the MVB bulb, and one extra outlet for an aquarium light which I will add later.

Right now Moe's MVB light runs from 9AM-9PM. What light schedule does everyone else run? Is this too much light (12 hours)? Not enough?

timer.jpg
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:29 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

The ATBA looks great. Right now I have the timer on at 6:30am and off at 7:30pm. It should be shutting off earlier, however I like to give them a treat when I get home.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:33 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

Looks great, and I love the stocking :D

I do have to say one thing tho being from PA......damn jankees fans :lol:
0.1.0 - Trachemys Scripta Elegans (Duper)
1.0.0 - Graptemys Nigrinoda Nigrinoda (Peanut)
0.0.1 - Malaclemys Terrapin Centrata Concentric (Speedy)
Jaysea

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:18 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

@ Steve: Thanks.

@ Jaysea: Thanks and :P pbbbbbbbbt! (yes mature I know hehe)

Now to figure out the auto top off...
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:14 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

I think I'm going to end up getting the SL2 module for my Reef Keeper Lite on my reef tank. I can hook up a float switch to that for ATO and move the JBJ ATO currently on the reef tank up to my turtle tank.

What kind of ATO systems are you guys using? JBJ? Tunze? DIY? other?

How about ATO pumps? any favorites?
I used to like the MJ1200 for an ATO pump, but I'm boycotting Marineland. I need something reliable, cheap with a 4-5 foot head. Ideas?
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:11 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

so, I read the whole thread and i was sorta disappointed lol. I thought you would make the WHOLE top be a land area for him to walk around and all that but you ended up just using one piece of tile for him to chill. Still a very nice setup. I love all the work you put into it and it turned out great looking. I also love the little stocking you put on his tank HAHA. fill it up with like dog treats or something he will love them. Also Congrats on the baby i bet that was a great time ^^

I love the little handles those are so cool i wish i had some but unfortunately my turtles have upgraded to a 20$ 600 Gallon Pond outside. They are in Hibernation right now.
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:40 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

If I made the land area really large, i wouldn't have access to the water for cleaning without taking the entire hood and atba apart.

I'm not done with this build yet. I just ordered a few parts in. Stay tuned, hopefully I can negate some of your disappointment as this build progresses :-D
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:10 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

VeipaCray wrote:The tank is up and going. I need to clean up my office a bit and post some good photos. I caught Moe during his first basking session on his new ATBA. I got the rare photo... Moe is camera shy.

The cord in the middle of the photo is temporary and is for a digital thermometer. I was checking the basking platform to make sure I had his light at the correct height for temp. Apparently Moe is saying good job dad... this temp is just right for me.

firstbasking.jpg

look at that happy turtle! :mrgreen:
My Babies are:
Filbert... given to a new home :(
Johnny - DSH tabby
Cid - DSH calico
KatieSmeltzer

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:42 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

BTW, I just thought of the varnish again... You can apply it to the surface with a regular paint brush, and just let it air dry completely before putting it back on top of the tank.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:21 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

No need to varnish over enamel paint. The varnish can and probably will cause the paint to bubble or peel.

I haven't posted to this thread in a while because the parts I'm waiting for are on backorder. :x

I did decide to go ahead and run the top-off plumbing and hook up a pump without the ATO for now. I used some poly tubing from the hardware store 3/8" CTS. I got two quick connect elbows and a quick connect union to join the poly to the pump's output. I added a $1 clearance bin switch to the mix to run the pump manually until the ATO parts arrive.

You can see the two elbows making an upside down U shape for the back rim of the tank.
top_off_hose.jpg

Here's the upside down U in place... this is where the top off water enters the tank.
top_off_return.jpg

Here's the union connecting the hose to the pump.
top_off_pump.jpg
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:23 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

Here's the hose connected to the pump. You can also see the $1 temporary switch. It plugs into the power strip, has a switch and has an outlet to which I plugin the pump. Manual top-offs for now.

top_off_pump_switch.jpg
top_off_pump_switch.jpg (77.91 KiB) Viewed 11894 times
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:49 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

Very nice! I'm planning to build a canopy soon. Will reference this thread. Thanks!
psumichael

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:05 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

psumichael > thank you. If you have any questions feel free to ask or PM me.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:07 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

Today I completed the manual top-off by adding a 5.5 gal glass tank in the bottom of the stand.

I also picked up a 24" coralife T5 fluorescent plant light and a bunch of turtle friendly plants for the tank today. I just got done planting everything... I'll take some pics and post them once the sand storm that I've just created subsides.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:35 pm   Re: Moe's new 75G home - build thread.

ive been planning on remodeling my 75 gallon tank and really like your idea. what plants are you putting in the tank and how are you putting the aquarium lights if the atba is setup like that? great work though. i really like your idea
darklight

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor