General Care Discussion :: How do Red Ear Slider Sleep?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:19 am   How do Red Ear Slider Sleep?

I know animals sleep, but since this is my first time of owning a red ear slider turtle and first time owning a reptile. how do they sleep? I mean do they sleep in water or on land or both? Do they sleep with their head inside shell? Or do they sleep with their nose above the water? Or do they sleep part in water and part in land with one foot sticking out? What way do they sleep?
MrsWarren

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:46 am   Re: How do Red Ear Slider Sleep?

RES Sleep outside of water and in and under water. They can hold there breath pretty long. When they sleep outside of water they can both sleep in there shell and out side there shell. when you get a basking light im sure you will catch them sleeping and have there legs all spread out and there head just laying on the basking dock just dead asleep. its pretty cute lol but you have to be quiet, they have a pretty good hearing. In water they usually sleep inside there shell iv noticed but iv seen mine sleep under water fully out of there shells holding onto stuff. it just depends on what they want at the time.
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:49 am   Re: How do Red Ear Slider Sleep?

Yeah I notice Chris sleep in funny postions it make me laugh
MrsWarren

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:55 am   Re: How do Red Ear Slider Sleep?

Yeah when I first got mine it was pretty funny to see them sleep all weird. sometimes they will sleep ontop of each other and be all spread out if you have multiple turtles.
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:38 am   Re: How do Red Ear Slider Sleep?

MrsWarren wrote:I know animals sleep, but since this is my first time of owning a red ear slider turtle and first time owning a reptile. how do they sleep? I mean do they sleep in water or on land or both? Do they sleep with their head inside shell? Or do they sleep with their nose above the water? Or do they sleep part in water and part in land with one foot sticking out? What way do they sleep?

Hello MrsWarren,

Turtles can sleep in _all_ the positions you described. They're very flexible and versatile, and they can also hold their breath for a long time.
--
Juxtapose13

"Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards." Cpl. Hicks, Aliens.
Juxtapose13

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:26 pm   Re: How do Red Ear Slider Sleep?

:mrgreen: Donatello sleeps mostly underwater. he likes sleeping up on the side of the tank near the heater. if not then hes at the bottom in his shell with an air bubble on his nose lol and he wakes up as soon as i creep near his tank! RES hearing seems to be incredible!
*Marley*
LouDiamondz

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:35 am   Re: How do Red Ear Slider Sleep?

Trevor alternates; sometimes he's sleeping underwater, usually in a back corner, sometimes all tucked into his shell, and sometimes sort of balanced on his back legs, floating all stretched out. And sometimes he falls asleep on his basking platform, usually with all his legs spread out as far as he can, his head right down on the glass. But he is a very light sleeper and will wake up at the slightest sound.
{In Loving Memory Of McKenna; Silently Born Into Eternity May 27, 2007; With Us For 40 Weeks, 1 Day}
Trevor's_Mom

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:32 pm   Re: How do Red Ear Slider Sleep?

Kodi sleeps in her fake plant or on her ramp (the lower part that stays underwater). She very rarely sleeps on the bottom of the tank anymore.
0.1.0 - Trachemys Scripta Elegans (Duper)
1.0.0 - Graptemys Nigrinoda Nigrinoda (Peanut)
0.0.1 - Malaclemys Terrapin Centrata Concentric (Speedy)
Jaysea

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:57 pm   Re: How do Red Ear Slider Sleep?

They sleep pretty much wherever they want to, but usually in the water (where they feel less vulnerable).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion