Feeding and Nutrition :: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:29 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle Age : Both are 3 years (Bonnie is 2 months younger)
Turtle Size: about 4 (Herbert)and 6 inches (Bonnie)
Turtle habitat indoor 50 gallon aquarium and about due for an upgrade! LOL!

They get pellets everyday..rosies every month or 2..as they wont always eat them..last time we got them rosies they lived with them for 6 months! LOL! Veggies and fruits as we have them...least something every day to every other day...I did not know about calcium blocks so I'm go researching about them on our forum here :)
David & Chrissie
:mrgreen:
MrsQuick

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:45 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Every day Hurricane and Typhoon get three pellets each, and one pellet in the evening. They also get tons of cuttlebone a few times each week, plus the occasional lettuce or tomato treat.

Sadie gets one or two mealworms, a few dried krill and a couple of dried brine shrimp.

Sadie's diet seems to be working fine, but, I don't swear by the diet for the other two...
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:20 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle Age: ~4yr old male.
Turtle Size: ~5.5in
Turtle Habitat: 75 gallon glass tank with ATBA (indoor).

I've always seen this thread and I never posted b/c I didn't know how to answer. I don't have a set schedule for Tomi, however, I usually feed him pellets as his staple diet.

-So... every other day,head size of pellets, next day could be lettuce or something else (depending on what green I have in my fridge).
-Tomato I've given him only about twice since I've had him.
-About every other Sat. he gets strawberries (when we make pancakes at home), sometimes blueberries.
-Carrots he gets once in a while, maybe once a month, depending when I have them in my fridge.
-On special occasions (i.e thanksgiving or xmas) my dad brings him earthworms which he devours.
-In the summer I sometimes buy crickets for fishing, anything I don't use I feed him... but this is very rare.
-Cuttlebone is usually always in the tank.
-Once in a while I buy him minnows... he chases them nonstop for a few hours until they're all gone. It's fun to watch him.

That's all i can think of now. but generally it's pellets every other day and something green in between. :)
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:05 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle Age (Aprox) 3-6 months
Turtle Size (SCL) 1-1.5 inches
Turtle habitat (indoor/outdoor) Indoor 10 gallon tank (upgrading to a 20 soon, she was a rescue so I had to make do with what I had, it atleast has a filter, heater, and all the lights needed just a little small, but she swims in my 50 gallon tank with my fish a couple times a week. She goes nuts in there)

I plan to feed pellets daily but I also have fish tanks so whenever I am feeding them frozen food my turtle usually gets some which is about twice a week. One day she gets frozen krill, the other she usually gets a mix of bloodworms and brineshrimp. She almost always has anachris in her tank (this reminds me I need to get more :roll: ) Then I usually keep guppies in her tank but she rarely eats them I call them her friends. Usually get can get her 4 and they are usually finally gone at the end of the month.

Treats (and frequency)
-Small crickets about once a month I give her about 6

I am starting fruits and veggies soon when I first got her she wouldn't eat at all.
Picasso

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 am   Re: Feeding list!

Turtle Age (Both a few months 2-3)
Turtle Size (Zombie Kid is closer to 2'' and the other Unnamed one is 1.5'')
Turtle habitat (indoor)

I have been feeding them the small repto-min skinny pellets. they're like the size of a clipped fingernail.
I given them each 2 a day, one in the morning and one at night, but they never finishe the whole thing because the guppies/swordtails get the bitten off pieces.

Every other day I give them each a frozen cube of bloodworms, which they have to fight with the other fish for, so they never get the whole thing themselves.

I have been caring for my turtles based mainly on the info from this site, and it was said to feed the turtles the amount of food approx the size of it's head. I have been roughly doing that.

I would like to add some veggies/fruit to their diet, but they are still young and I have only had them for a few weeks, they only recently started coming out of the water fully to sun themselves, so they are still gettin comfortable, but I have been able to fe by hand with the pellets.

Are any fruits/vegetables better for young RES's? I'm thinking banana and maybe some berries.
Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms. ~George Eliot
DrexelTanker0712

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:08 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

@ DrexelTanker0712 - I do give a small piece of banana once or twice a month. This is the plant overview section: www.redearslider.com/plants.html
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:57 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

thanks, yea i went and looked up that section right after my post.

the first food item is dandelion leaves. should I just go outside and rip some out of the lawn, rinse and then feed that to them?

they try to eat the java fern but they don't like it, they just spit the pieces back out, so now i have plant confetti in my filter...lol
Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms. ~George Eliot
DrexelTanker0712

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:38 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle Age
- Squirt 4months
- Crush approx 6 months

Turtle Size (SCL)
- Squirt 2.5”
- Crush 3”

Turtle habitat (indoor/outdoor)
We have an indoor tank setup for the turtles. The tank is around 75 gallons. Right now we have 2 Clown Knife fish in the tank with the turtles, 2 zigzag spiny eels and 2 Plecos.

Sunday – mix between feeder fish and pellets
Monday - mix between feeder fish and pellets
Tuesday - mix between feeder fish and pellets
Wednesday - mix between feeder fish and pellets
Thursday - mix between feeder fish and pellets
Friday - mix between feeder fish and pellets
Saturday - mix between feeder fish and pellets

Treats (and frequency)
Every other day when the eels get fed their bloodworms the turtles get to munch on them, shrimp maybe once a month. If we don’t hide the Pleco pellets the turtle get a few bites off of those as well.

Note – both turtles are still quite young. We are going to start introducing them to organic fruits and vegetables to add more variety to their diets.
2 Redear Sliders
Squirt
Crush

2 Clown Knifes
2 Zig-Zag Spiny Eels
2 Plecos
Samm

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:12 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

DrexelTanker0712 wrote:thanks, yea i went and looked up that section right after my post.

the first food item is dandelion leaves. should I just go outside and rip some out of the lawn, rinse and then feed that to them?

they try to eat the java fern but they don't like it, they just spit the pieces back out, so now i have plant confetti in my filter...lol

If you know the dandelion leaves are clean and pesticide free :)
Sorry about the Java Fern, they do like to destroy things.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:10 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle Age (Aprox) 2-3 Months
Turtle Size (SCL) 1.5"
Turtle habitat (indoor/outdoor) Indoors

Sunday --- Jello shots and pellets
Monday --- Shrimp and pellets
Tuesday ---- Jello shots and pellets
Wednesday --- Shrimp and pellets
Thursday --- Jello shots and pellets
Friday --- Shrimp and pellets
Saturday --- Jello shots and pellets

Treats (and frequency)
3 Beautiful RES- Charlie, Franklin and Sheldon
1 Tabby Mix - Simba
xfallwithmexo

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:38 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Wow! Thanks for all the lists. I am a new turtle owner to my little guy Flick... well he's not very little. I adopted him from my aunt cuz she was moving and no one wanted him :( I think he is the cutest thing but didn't know they ate beef, chicken, lettuce, crickets (*shudder*), bloodworms... really I didn't know they ate anything but pellets, shrimp, and krill. So Thanks for this topic! I can't wait til I get his new tank setup and I'm going to start trying some veggies today :D
1 Red Eared Slider: Tiko
2 Cats: Zodiac and Galaxy
CKWhitney

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:41 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Leela- unkown age approx. 7-8 inches
Turbo- unknown age approx. 5-6 inches

Monday- pellets, sometimes cuttlebone
Tuesday- lettuces, red leaf green leaf mustard greens
Wednesday- veggies, carrot cucumber sweet potato
Thursday- pellets, sometimes cuttlebone
Friday- gourmet mix, comes with pellets, cranberries and river shrimp, little meal worms, dried
Saturday- lettuces
Sunday- fruit, banana mango apple

as treats i give them krill or rosy reds or earthworms mm maybe like 2x a month or when i feel its been a while
also when i have the extra cash i buy them anacharis as often as i can

ive also gotten them water lilies (disaster) and hornwort? horn something.. and duckweed (also disaster)
the fruit and veggie combos i plan on changing up every week, i eat a ton of fruit and veggies so im not really going out of my way and its not a problem,

im curious about crickets? do the turtles eat them live? i never found any dried crickets at a petstore. im so paranoid about feeding them right i want to try and mix it up as much as i can because reading the forum's feeding section i realize how big of a deal it is for them to get variety
alexia

lovely (dachshund/yorkie)
siva (coyote/pitbull)
leela (RES)
turbo (RES)
leopard167

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:42 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

You can use live crickets, and some people dust them or gut load them to add nutritional qualities to the crickets. It'll probably be easier to get a Can-O'-Crickets (mini-sized) though.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle Age: Unknown
Turtle Size: 4 inches
Turtle habitat: Indoor

Sunday: Pellets
Monday: Pellets
Tuesday: Veggies
Wednesday: Pellets
Thursday: Veggies
Friday: Feeder Fish/Feeder Insects
Saturday: Pellets
55 Gal(US) tank,
One Female Red Eared Slider
Name: Brixie
Bought on February 6th, 2011
Peva

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:42 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle Age (Aprox) 1 year
Turtle Size (SCL) 4 inches
Turtle habitat (indoor/outdoor) indoor

Sunday: Veggies
Monday: Pellets
Tuesday: Dried fish
Wednesday: Pellets
Thursday: Bloodworms
Friday: Pellets
Saturday: Pellets

Treats (and frequency) Guppies, I drop about 3-4 once or twice a week, get eaten in less than 2 hours. I give him every few weeks dried mealworms, or baby dubia roaches.
poxilina

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition