Feeding and Nutrition :: Duckweed Dilemma

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:20 pm   Duckweed Dilemma

So I am thinking about introducing duckweed to my tank because it seemed like one of the easier plants to grow in an aquarium that are natural to the sliders environment. After doing some research I am a little nervous because it can become out of control quickly, but I think it's worth the risk if it makes Sheldon happy.

Anyhow, I was reading through some articles and discovered that duckweed contains protein.

"The nutritional value of duckweed varies, but most species have protein contents in the range of 15-45% which is good and duckweed is a convenient feed for fish."
http://aquaponic-gardening.blogspot.com ... lemma.html

Obviously if it's growing like a weed I can't control how much Sheldon eats, but if it's naturally a part of the diet I can't see how this could be that bad...

Any input on the protein levels/nutritional benefits of duckweed? Any success or horror stories?
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:47 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

I have duckweed in my platie tank. I don't think it grows out of control unless it has a lot of nutrients to feed off of. I started with just 5 little pieces of it when my tank was first cycling. It hitched in on some purchased plants. I was thrilled. It grew to a small amount and then just maintained and didn't over grow. I have a lot of surface agitation though. I don't think duckweed likes that. I could never get it to grow in my turtle tank because my turtle eats every little bit I put in there.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:38 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

So your turtle really likes it then? I'm going to give it a whirl, I think it is worth it :)
happycamper

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:39 am   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

Can't hurt to try. I hope he leaves enough in your tank to multiply.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:53 am   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

Turtles love it. If it's growing in the tank, they won't eat it like little pigs. That would only happen if you threw some in during feeding time. It's perfectly healthy.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:53 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

Alright, thanks guys!
happycamper

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:43 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

i used to have it. but i had wayyyy too much to start and since i had too much i got rly annoyed with it and it getting caught on my filter intake and it was just a mess. if you only have some its awesome. just dont over do it
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
rsour24

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:47 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

Oh man, that's what I don't want is an out of control mess. I ordered it on ebay, they said it was about 2 tablespoons full...
happycamper

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:53 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

that stretches more than you think. but im sure your turtle will eat some right off the bat
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
rsour24

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:55 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

Hope so :)
happycamper

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:20 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

Are any of you doing a separate planted tank for stuff like this? I was thinking about doing a small plant only tank with CO2 + lighting to grow stuff like duckweed, anacharis, and water lettuce. My turtle devours any plants and makes a mess so trying to grow them in the turtle tank has proven to be fruitless so far.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:12 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

I have a small Pond in the back where I grow Duckweed, Azzola, Anacharis and Water Lettuce and Water Hyacinth. I'll get a pic tomorrow, it's too dark now.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 am   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

I agree with the second tank for plants.. that duckweed may never have a chance to grow in the turtle tank! I have a 10 gallon with a beta fish and water sprite (although I am switching to anacharis as soon as I can find some) and then I have an outdoor planter that I sealed off and brought inside that I grow water lilies in. Have you considered anacharis? I hear it grows like water sprite and its really good for them. The water sprite will grow new roots on it about once a week and you just pinch it to break it off and you have another plant.

How big is your turtle? You may be able to grow something in the turtle tank if its a smaller, less destructive turtle.
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
sflemin2

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:07 pm   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

I would love to have a seperate tank, but I had to promise no more aquariums to get the husband to agree to the 100 gallon. :(
I do have a 29 gallon axolotl tank with low flow, maybe I should grow it in there then transfer to the big tank for feeding. Either way if he scarfs it all down and it doesn't grow it's a healthy 7 dollar snack!

He is about 6 inches, pretty well behaved as far as destuctive goes... Besides his mortal enemy, the suction cup, he leaves most things alone. Although when I got back from my last camping adventure he had moved all the drifwood to one side of the tank, pretty impressive how strong he is!
happycamper

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 am   Re: Duckweed Dilemma

Haha yeah I think it would be better off in the axolotl tank
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
sflemin2

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition