Habitat - Indoor :: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:54 pm   SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

DO NOT plug any aquarium equipment into a regular household outlet.

Equipment such as heaters, filters, lighting (etc) should ALWAYS be plugged into a GFCI protected outlet.

What is GFCI? GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.

The purpose of a GFCI device is to detect leakage of electrical current to prevent electrical shock.
Electrical shock from a regular household outlet can be fatal. A GFCI device may save your life.

GFCI devices come in three forms. All three are available at your local hardware store.

1. An outlet with built in GFCI.

gfci_outlet.jpg
gfci_outlet.jpg (6.84 KiB) Viewed 47002 times

Notice the test and reset buttons on the outlet. Non-GFCI outlets are missing the buttons. A standard outlet can usually be replaced with a GFCI outlet. This can be a DIY project if you are comfortable changing out electrical outlets or a quick job for an electrician. These outlets are not very expensive and can save your life. $12-$20 US dollars for one of these outlets.

2. A circuit breaker with built in GFCI.

gfci_circuit_breaker.png
gfci_circuit_breaker.png (86.82 KiB) Viewed 47002 times

This is the most expensive of the three options, but the GFCI circuit breaker will protect all outlets that are in a serial chain coming off this breaker. This device replaces a standard circuit breaker in an electrical panel and should only be installed by a qualified electrician. $30-$45 US dollars for one of these breakers + plus the cost of your electrician's services.

3. A plug in GFCI Adapter

gfci adapter.jpg
gfci adapter.jpg (11.81 KiB) Viewed 47002 times

These adapters plug into a standard outlet and offer GFCI protection. They are available as single outlets, multiple outlets, or sometimes integrated into a power strip. They ALWAYS include a ground prong. Never use a ground prong bypass adapter with one of these devices. GFCI adapters are a very simple DIY install as they just plug into a regular outlet. Prices range in US dollars from $10 for a single outlet to $50+ dollars for contractor grade outdoor GFCI power strips.

Please consider one of these three options if you are not currently using a GFCI protected outlet. Consult a local qualified electrician if you need assistance. Every area has different electrical code standards. A local qualified electrician will be able to assist you.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:07 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

uh oh looks like im in bad shape then
3 Beautiful RES- Charlie, Franklin and Sheldon
1 Tabby Mix - Simba
xfallwithmexo

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:26 am   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

Sounds like you need to make a $10 trip to the hardware store :D
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:43 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

I use a power bar... does that work?
Karawr

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:52 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

Is it a GFCI power bar? If it's not then no. Most power strips are NOT GFCI power strips. Go get a $10 GFCI adapter and plug your power strip into that. Changing the outlet would be better yet.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:49 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

ha, then a 32540593454 dollar bill to the ER when i electrocute myself, if i manage to get out alive
3 Beautiful RES- Charlie, Franklin and Sheldon
1 Tabby Mix - Simba
xfallwithmexo

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

The outlet I have my equipment in is usually a GFCI, however when I moved I wasn't able to get the outlet replaced. I would get that adaptor posted, but according to amazon reviews, that particular one trips when it loses power. That's not ideal for an aquarium because you have to reset it. There's a lack of reviews for the other adaptors, so I'll probably replace the outlet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 am   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

Replacing the outlet is always better (more safe) than an adapter. That being said, you can still get a decent adapter from your local hardware store or electrical supply house.

I wasn't promoting any specific brands in the original post. I just picked the best looking pictures off google for point of illustration.

Xfallwithmexo - the adapter just plugs in. If you would rather change your outlet and don't know how...PLEASE seek out the help of a locally licensed electrician. I promise you the electrician is less than the cost of your ER bill.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:38 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

I worded part of my reply poorly. I meant to say that if an adaptor will be used, try to find one that will auto-reset after power loss.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:18 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

I just use a power strip which is plugged into a regular outlet. Been doing that for years.

It can't hurt to have it, but, I'm not wasting my money. A few dollars is one thing, but, once we hit the 10, 20, dollar range, that's when I get iffy.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:46 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

A surge protector doesn't do the same thing, though it's better than nothing.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

theartbook35 wrote:I just use a power strip which is plugged into a regular outlet. Been doing that for years.

It can't hurt to have it, but, I'm not wasting my money. A few dollars is one thing, but, once we hit the 10, 20, dollar range, that's when I get iffy.

It' definitely not a "waste of money". $10 is NOTHING to prevent a trip to the hospital or even a fatality. You cannot build a house in most places of this world without GFI circuitry protecting bathrooms, kitchens, and outdoor outlets. There's a reason.... particles in water will conduct electricity. If there's water, there's a risk. That same risk applies to any aquarium. Actually with pumps and heaters having cords IN the water, the risk is much much greater.

This $10 isn't for your turtle's safety. It's for YOUR safety.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:32 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

if I were to get the GFCI adapter, can I put a power strip on it?
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
ChangTang

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:57 am   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

I wouldn't put a power strip on a GFCI adapter.

I would either:
A> put a power strip on a GFCI outlet
B> Get a power strip with a built in GFCI adapter
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:11 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

I found several options for GFCI adapters, including one that split to 3 outlets, at Home Depot. Just be sure to purchase one that serves as the GFCI device, and not simply a device that splits power.
J0NATHAN85

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor