General Care Discussion :: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:51 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

yes I was referring to the gizzard post. I'm just looking into the gravel situation because I have it in my new setup. 55 gallon with a 4" RES...
pdrobber

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:39 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I was watching tv and was suprised to hear that they eat gravel and stones to help grind up food in there stomachs.. is this false information?
Four Red eared sliders..
Lola, 7 Years old. (Female)
Junior 4 Years old (Male)
Spongebob, 4 Years old (Male)
Raphael, Raf-eye-l, 18 Months old. (Unsure)
Joel

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:57 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Ive kept turtles for years with gravel and have neer had a problem..turtles in the wild sometimes eat small pebbles for altering their buoyancy etc.
In my experience they tend to chew them allot before swallowing which is thought to be them making sure the rocks arent sharp or too big. :)
[u]Imogen Devaux :)[/u]
ImogenDevaux

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:38 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I Have Nearly 2 1" RES Hatchlings :mrgreen: ....And Have A Bedding Made Of River Rocks Of 2 Inches, And Gravel... Will They Eat The Gravel At Such A Young Age? Their Mouth Is Too Small I Think..But Always Experts Advice Is Always Appreciated :)
proud Owner Of:
2 RES
1 Star Tortoise
1 Indian Flapshell Turtle
Rishabh

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:25 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

If the gravel is the size of their head they can eat it. I would ere on the side of caution and not have gravel. Could be a large vet bill later on if they become impacted. Large river rocks are good as is sand. I had gravel in my tank before I knew better. It was disgusting when I got rid of it. I vacuumed it once a week but it was still gross. All the debris would fall through it and rot. I now have sand and I love it. Debris (poop) stays on top and I can vacuum it right up.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:48 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I have 2 res's and they are so destructive! The lady that I got them from said they were both males but I have one that is constantly picking at the other one even bit the end of its tail off! Should I seperate them even tho' they have been together all their lives? No more damage had been done but I don't want anything to happen to either of them!
rana

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

That's a bit off topic, but if there any signs of aggression, then you should separate as soon as you can. If you need help determining what sex they are, please post pics and we'll try to sort it out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:44 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I use smooth glass stones that are about 1/2 in size. I guess I could go with out, but I think it makes the tank look more interesting, plus my turtles like to dig and move them around.
inshing

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:02 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

My RES ate his gravel too. I didn't know any better until I found this site. I took all the gravel and anything smaller than his head out of the tank.
Lizzy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:23 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Yeah I tottaly agree pet store ppl have no idea what they r talking about..and pet shop ppl know even less..
skipperdee

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:57 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I heard some of the most bogus information today from a guy who claimed to be an expert....and argued with me about the subject.
He said that turtles would only eat gravel if they were malnourished or needing nutrients. So I guess that all captive turtles who are fed a well balanced diet are eating gravel because of this. He also said that turtles in the wild that have been in good conditions and always been able to bask with UV light are free from salmonella.
Miss Bowser - 7 inch female RES
Ashley

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:18 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

This is pretty much why I don't talk about turtles outside the forum.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

When I got rid of my gravel, Wasabi was crapping out rocks all week. I was like DANG! Where are you packing it all?!
Wasabi

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:12 pm   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

I have nothing in the bottom of the tank and I find the tank is much cleaner this way, and I don't have to worry about them eating gravel.
WorkinHard

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:55 am   Re: Get Rid Of the Gravel!!!!! ~ Really

Isn't it wonderful?
At first I wanted my tank looking "cool" - until she pooped rocks
Now I love it with NOTHING!!!
Streamline, and plenty of room to swim.
I finally realized that many unfriendly / unsafe addtitions are more to please the owner than the RES.
Glad to see a purist!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion