Equipment Review and Discussion :: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:21 pm   

I'm trying to take advantage of big al's cyber monday deals and I was wondering if anybody could tell me which cut to fit filter media is like the RENA 20 and 30 filstar foam? thank you.
Monte

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:28 pm   Cleaning

Can anyone tell me how often these filters need to be cleaned? And how much of a pain (if any at all) it is?
MrRedmanbhs

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:18 am   

Hey, I've had the XP4 for about a month now. The hoses are starting to look a little dirty, but the water is still crystal clear. I cleaned it once only because I wanted to add media so I figured I might as well clean it - but there really was no need.

It's very easy to clean - the only pain is that the xp4 canister is pretty heavy when full of water and my bathroom is pretty far. haha. Other than that it's a breeze. I love the filter.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:20 pm   

I hate my Rena XP2! Don't get one! It's $150 for the system and then $70 every month to change the filtration media. It doesn't clean well at all and the water turns horrible shades and emits putrid odors even before the three weeks are up. It filters so poorly that I have had to change the water five times or more between Dec and Jan. When I was using a cheap little Topfin 50 gal external filter, I never once had to change the water in his aquarium and it was never anything but crystal clear.
1 male RES, Tank
2 female rats, Rosie and Vicki
1 male? tiger salamander, Hermie
1 female ball python, Cleo(patra)

www.jollygreenjane.com
www.flickr.com/photos/queenjane
www.youtube.com/profile?user=queenjane1234
queenjane

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:39 pm   

queenjane wrote:I hate my Rena XP2! Don't get one! It's $150 for the system and then $70 every month to change the filtration media. It doesn't clean well at all and the water turns horrible shades and emits putrid odors even before the three weeks are up. It filters so poorly that I have had to change the water five times or more between Dec and Jan. When I was using a cheap little Topfin 50 gal external filter, I never once had to change the water in his aquarium and it was never anything but crystal clear.

Strange issue.

I've had my XP3 for over a year now - and have ONLY changed the NEEDED media. The sponge like medias - I never changed. Just clean the heck out of them in the bathtub! You know theyre clean when you pass water through them and its clear coming out.

No need to change everything once a month either! The media you NEED to change, I wouldn't suggest it every month either...thats overkill.
DocShay

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:21 pm   

I didnt really see it in any of the posts but how do you guys set up all the media in the baskets?
I have an xp3 and have this order from top down

basket 1
micro filtration pad
bio chem zorb bag
red bio ball things

basket 2
all ceramic ring things

basket 3
2 30 pads
2 20 pads
2 RES
turbonegro32

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:35 am   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

My current setup for the xp3 from top to bottom.
Basket 1
Super Activated Carbon
Basket 2
Rena Bio-Chem Stars
Fluval Biomax Ceramic rings
Basket 3
2 30 pads
2 20 pads

Ive had my xp3 for over a year and honestly I love how it keeps my tank clean.
About once month I take out the pads and just give them a good hosing till the water coming out from them is clear again.
I also replace the carbon (although I've gone months without carbon in it. It works fine without it.)
1 RES
-----------------------------------------------------------
Leo (7 inch) boy
sanoske312

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:14 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

hey guys,
I am looking to buy xp3, what was the lowest price u guys ever seem? Where would be the best place to shop?

thanks
gabloo

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:03 am   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

The lowest price I got one for was $90 at Big Al's a few years ago. These filters go for about $130 on eBay nowadays, even more at non-auction sites.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:38 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

I just found an XP2 at Pet Mountain for $119.00.. Is this a good deal?
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:20 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

It is, but the XP2 is a rather small filter. XP4 is more in line with the filtration needs of an adult sized turtle.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:36 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

the xp3 is only $0.50 more. :shock:

i got the xp3 a few weeks ago from P.M. too. same price, incredibly fast shipping.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aqua ... ilter.html
Gracie Turts

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

o.k.. Good deal.

He is only about an inch long right now and I only put almost 1/2 full of water in the tank.. So right now, it's only running about 10 gallons.

Should I just fill it up more? I don't want to drown the little guy... Is it o.k to put a hatchling in full 20 gallon tank?
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:14 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

maybe an inch and 1/2.. I need to measure him I guess, but he's not much more than that.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:29 pm   Re: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

o.k.. done deal.. I just ordered the XP3 for 119.99 +$16.00 shipping to have it here in 3 to 5 business days... I could have gotten it shipped free, but it would have taken about 2 weeks.
Into_the_Mystic

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion