Habitat - Outdoor :: Ideal water temperature for 60 gallon pond with 1 RES.

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:30 pm   Ideal water temperature for 60 gallon pond with 1 RES.

Hello,

First time posting. I built a pond for our new RES. It's about 60 gallons and get's quite a bit of sun. I put up a fabric sun screen just to keep it a bit cooler. What is the ideal temperature for an outdoor pond?

Thank you,

Jules
Jules

3 cats - Alfie, Snickers and Cooper
2 chickens - Clarrisa and Jennifer
1 Red Eared Slider - Sheldor the Conqueror (who is actually a girl-we call her Shelly)
3 Goldfish - Goldy and the Gold Tones
2 Algae Eaters - Horace and Hilda
julesmims

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:39 pm   Re: Ideal water temperature for 60 gallon pond with 1 RES.

Really isnt a correct answer. Ponds can run warm or cool depending on location. You just wanna make sure water is staying below 85. I think my stock tank on a stretch of days in 100s or high 90s hits low 80s. At that point i drain it half way and add cool water.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:03 pm   Re: Ideal water temperature for 60 gallon pond with 1 RES.

Thank you so much. I have already drained a few gallons and
Added cool water on the few really hot days. Since we are chatting
We are in Sacramento ca. We have heard it's not good to let the
Turtles hibernate here. Our coldest temps are around 30 degrees.
We've already decided to create an indoor area. Just thought I'd get
Your input.
Jules

1 Red Eared Slider - Sheldor the Conqueror (who is actually a girl-we call her Shelly)
julesmims

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:09 pm   Re: Ideal water temperature for 60 gallon pond with 1 RES.

Yea, dont hibernate your turtle if its only 60 gallons. Id imagine it would freeze solid or almost all the way. You would end up killing the turtle. The depth the water has to go down into the ground is at least 3 feet for it to be safe. You dont really have to hibernate res anyway. Almost all people on here dont.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:38 pm   Re: Ideal water temperature for 60 gallon pond with 1 RES.

Thanks. We will be bringing her inside this winter. Already discussing indoor accomodations. Yep, we've lost our minds!
Jules

julesmims

Return to Habitat - Outdoor