Photo Gallery :: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:40 pm   Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

My turtle is obsessed with my jack dempsey...They have been "roommates" for several years. I think my turtle is "sweet" on my fish...

http://youtu.be/dlyPvaJ-u0Y
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlyPvaJ-u0Y[/youtube]
Hammerstix

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:38 am   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

I embedded the video for you.

Pretty cool standoff, hopefully they stay as roommates. :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

Yay! this is the cutest video ever!! Can't believe your turtle is reacting that way! :D
MikeyTheRES

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:08 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

Thanks Steve, I too hope they remain roomates.

Despite having a pair of angels & one blood parrot, my turtle has eyes for that jack dempsey.

Thanks for watching!
Hammerstix

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:16 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

I had a friend who had a tank with cichlids and the turtle was able to get all but one. I've heard because cichlids are a little more aggressive they have a fighting chance against them. Although if the turtle ever gets bigger than the fish all bets are off.
All I Want in Life is to be Happy!!
Listen97

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:01 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

I might be mistaken but my turtle won't get much bigger & he's 4". My jack is 6". I'm really pleased w/the cohabitation. The turtle doesn't have an interest in eating any of my fish, including the newest addition, a blood parrot.
Hammerstix

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:33 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

RES can get up to 12" for females and I believe 7" for males. So there is always a chance. Mine didn't get to full size until recently and I got them in 2005.
Listen97

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:15 am   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

Hahahaa, it almost looks like hes eating something or cleaning something off of the Jack's chin. XD
valladin82

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:14 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

@Listen97 you're right about the RES size, but i think Hammerstix has a different turtle species, probably one of those small map turtles.(X res)
Gracie Turts

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:13 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

Gracie Turts wrote:@Listen97 you're right about the RES size, but i think Hammerstix has a different turtle species, probably one of those small map turtles.(X res)

Yeah I didn't even notice to begin with. If it is a map they only get to be about 8". But still that's double the size the turtle currently is, just an FYI to Hammerstix.
Listen97

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:42 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

haha i don't know for sure. someones gotta know. but for the sake of turtle care, i hope its the 4 inch kind of species.
Gracie Turts

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:50 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

Yeah, he's a map & will only get 5". I've had him 4 years & he's right at 4". It's been mentioned that he's eating/nibbling something off my JDs mouth but I don't see his mouth opening to support that theory.
A turtle hobbiest/friend has said the shaking of the head is part of a mating ritual males perform to entice the female. I tend to believe this over food on chin theory.
Hammerstix

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:28 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

What is wrong with my turtle? He's mated with my neighbors girl turtle so he's not sex deprived. Territorial aggression? But he never snaps @my jd. Im stumped...
Hammerstix

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:48 am   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

omg that's adorable! my girls like to eat all living things around them. that includes fish :?
RESlove

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:15 pm   Re: Turtle & Fish cohabitation (video clip)

I love this video!
Hammerstix

Next

Return to Photo Gallery