Urgent Care :: White spots on turtle's skin - not so active or eating much

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15 pm   White spots on turtle's skin - not so active or eating much

Hello everyone,

i've had my female red ear slider since she was a baby.

She is very active, & the least shy out of all my turtles. Please give me some help, I dont want anything to happen to her or the rest of my turtles!

My nephew took my red ear slider out of his tank to bask in the sun in a big plastic container, its very long alot of space for them to walk around. All of the turtles where in the container for about 2 hours.

When he put them back into the tank, they all seem fine except for my female res. She's has gotten white spots on her skin & AROUND her eyes, the red mark on the side of her face is starting to fade also. She is becoming less active, not basking or anything. She hasnt eaten in the last 3 days either.

PLEASE ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU NEED TO KNOW IN ORDER FOR ME TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM, I REALLY DONT WANT ANYTHING TO HAPPEN TO THIS SPECIFIC TURTLE, SHE IS MY FAVORITE & MOST TRAINED. PLEASE HELP ME GUYS!!!
BrandonNicholas

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:34 pm   Re: White spots on turtle's skin - not so active or eating m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_6Pjq8j ... e=youtu.be

here is a video i made of her, check it out please!
BrandonNicholas

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:36 am   Re: White spots on turtle's skin - not so active or eating m

It looks like fungus, though I can't be certain. I would have a separate tank for and place to dry dock her until this is sorted out. As for her behavior, it's possible she could sick from something unrelated to the fungus or maybe she's being harassed be the other turtles and is withdrawn.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:28 am   Re: White spots on turtle's skin - not so active or eating m

how will i go about with the dry docking? just put her above water? for how long also? & also i know for a fact shes not being harrased, she is the one usually harrasing the other turtles. She's really active but lately not so much. Do you reccomend i buy any products to sort this out quicker ? Today i checked on her & her hands are becoming more puffy. She hasnt eaten in a while either
BrandonNicholas

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:58 pm   Re: White spots on turtle's skin - not so active or eating m

If there is actual swelling (I can't tell to clearly from the video), then I would take her to a herp vet. If it's just fuzzy from the fungus then a warm, dry place will do. You can try the turtle sulfa dip or some gentle scrubbing with diluted betadine... some more advice here: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm

If it is skin fungus, air drying should make a noticeable improvement.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:17 am   Re: White spots on turtle's skin - not so active or eating m

Its the fuzzy stuff what do you reccomend ?
BrandonNicholas

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:31 pm   Re: White spots on turtle's skin - not so active or eating m

Some dry docking and light cleaning... from atp:

This is not an uncommon sight in some species. This is your classic skin fungus. Not taken care of, it can enter the blood stream, become septicemic, and destroy certain organs within the body.

Note: The dry-tank method has yielded the highest success rate.

Remove turtle and place in a quarantine tank. The infected areas should be cleaned. Be careful when cleaning out the injury as the infection may have gone deep. Going too deep can cause extreme pain to your turtle.

Listed below is a regimen that I have followed in treating shell and skin problems and has yielded great results. While treating, you are looking for signs of healing and this may take several days before you can actually see a difference. A good idea is to take a clear photograph before treatment and compare it to another photograph of the same area a few days or a week later.

1) Clean infected areas thoroughly with a strong, undiluted betadine, iodine or Nolvasan solution. Let the turtle air dry in a warm setting for about 45 minutes.

2) Apply a generous coating of Silvadene cream. Work into problem areas. Neosporin is also an acceptable alternative (Polysporin for those keepers in Canada).

3) Leave the turtle dry and warm, ensuring that you do not over-heat, for 18-21 hours each day.

4) The next day, gently clean the affected area with a one of the previously mentioned solutions.

5) Place them into fresh, clean water. Let them swim, drink and eat for approximately 1 - 1 ½ hours.

6) Repeat procedure from Step 1.

This treatment performed daily or twice daily, should show you improvements within a week to 10 days.

NOTE: The betadine bath's 'weak tea' solution is not advised as this can potentially bring about health issues later on.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care