Urgent Care :: Swollen skin or bump on back of baby RES turtle's neck?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:47 pm   

I'm so glad to hear the good news. You never know when your medical skills can come in handy:) .

Keep us updated
Check out my blog at: http://turtleaffairs.wordpress.com/
Tank #1:
~Charlie - 4 inch male RES
Tank #2:
~Charlotte - 6 inch female RES
worldpeace

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:40 am   

Very nice! I'm looking forward to the photos. Thank you for the procedure info.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:07 pm   

Make sure all the infection is out of it before it closes up.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:49 pm   

nice story. I hope enerything works out. It is my understanding that it is illegal to sell a RES under 4 inches but not to own it or buy it (at least that is the way I understand it in NY)
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
bradmeisel

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:02 pm   

Good Luck cervoned1!!! Let us know what happens!
2-R3S Buster & Eugene
1-African Side-Neck Herman
1- Nicaraguan Slider
1- Concentric Diamondback Terrapin
:D 5 total

RIP Samus
Moose

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:34 pm   

Photos as promised! I have two photos so far of the healing progress on my little Donnie's neck. It looks like he will be just fine. I still have been using sulfa dip once a day and cleaning the area twice daily and applying antibiotic ointment. I also have a reptile wound healing oil that I use on him at night. He's still basically in dry-dock and getting lots of time under the UVB light! He's been such a good patient through it all.

Here is the link to the photos:
cervoned1

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:39 pm   

I would skip the sulfa dip and get some chlorohexidine (you can buy it as Hibiclens in places like Walgreens or CVS), dilute a bit 50/50 with water and clean the wound before applying the ointment. I'd apply it with a q-tip, rinse well, let it dry and apply the ointment (Neosporin?).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:04 pm   

i have always read the sulfa dip does not help.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Got them -- 9/2007
bradmeisel

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:25 pm   

Yesterday was the last day for his soaking dip anyway. The instructions had said 7 to 10 days, so he's finished with that. I clean it out twice daily, with an antiseptic wash, either Bactine or Band-Aid brand. The first few days I used Hydrogen peroxide, then switched to these. Then follow up with Neosporin ointment and lots of UVB light time. I think he is definitedly on the road to recovery. There is no sign of any lump returning. Except for the skin still healing around the cavity, his neck skin is starting to fold down flat now. Poor little guy, I know he'll be happy to get to start living like a real turtle soon. I really think that this was caused during transit, because when I took him out of the box when he first arrived, I didn't notice any problem with him. The lump appeared either later that night or the next day. It was right where his neck rubbed against the edge of his shell. I actually saw the UPS driver swinging the small package back and forth as he was carrying it up the walkway, so I was just thankful that the two little guys were alive when I opened the box up! There was a big red sticker that said "Live Turtles, Handle with Care" but UPS had stuck another label right over it, so it was hard to read. The cost of the overnight shipping was high enough that you would think the delivery companies would use more care, but it's just a package to them. I am sure they are not used to delivering many live animals in their daily rounds. But, I can't buy RES here is Tennessee, so my only option was having them shipped. Anyway, I am just glad that I have been able to treat it and get him healed up again. He is extremely healthy, active and lively is every other way. He was definitely not a sick turtle to begin with thank goodness! Just had an unfortunate injury. Maybe he will develop an even stronger bond with me after this is all over. :)
cervoned1

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:34 pm   

I am gald it seems to be going well. I could not have done what you did ;)
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Got them -- 9/2007
bradmeisel

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:52 pm   Re: Swollen skin or bump on back of baby RES turtle's neck?

Hi Cervoned: Hi! We are :mrgreen: :?: NEW to Redearslider.com! I have a friendly sweet hatchling, same situation, as I'm in Japan and finding a vet for a turtle would be a situation. I only have had Goodluck for 2 days now, but he loves me!! . Goodluck came with a bump on the top of his neck, right side. I got him at a fair stall at the shrine. I was worried and glad I found this super website. I also have the same working background, and I teach Reiki, and with no vet who'd do this around here, I also did the medical surgery, while applying hands on healing which really healed the wound fast. A hardened white pus came out too. But ther still seems to be more in there, but nothing came out, so I don't know if I have to make a bigger hole, as I only did a pin prick, and searched for more in the bump, but nothing else oozed out, so I will clean out more as the days go by if needed..., then I cleaned with bactrine solution afterwards and water. RIght now, Goodluck is in a white basin, dry. I don't want to place the baby in water, because just like Donny, Goodluck loves to swim too and be submerged. I'm wondering how your baby is doing? Is he still with you and OK? DO you or (ANYONE) else have any recommendations for this hatchling? He/she is very young, only a 1 incher.As for her habitat I don't have a heater yet, as i just got him, but its hot here. As for food, he only likes to eat if I hand feed him, and it has to be new pellets each time. Plus, I also put - wakame (seaweed) and tiny oyster shells in the water aquarium for calcium and in case he might eat the kelp, and a few organic greens, but all he wants is the pellets. Can I keep the wakame in there for a while? As Goodluck asks me to feed him already, I really love him/her, so any assistance in making my baby more comfortable and happy would be great. Right now Goodluck is sleeping. No water, I hope that is okay, until the morning when I feed him, (but he does have lettuce in there and a shell with water in it. Thank you, Goodluck's Mom
Goodluck

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:38 pm   Re: Swollen skin or bump on back of baby RES turtle's neck?

Welcome. If you have specific questions about your turtle, it would be better to start a new thread...Since the last post is almost 10 months old, it's doubtful the original poster is going to see your post.

I will say, though, that I used to live in Japan and acquired my RES as a sick hatchling in a manner similar to yours. He's back in the States now and is a big boy at approx. 9 years of age. If you live in Tokyo, there is at least one herp vet that I know of.

It would be good for starters if you did some reading on the main site---you will find a lot of info about creating a set-up and diet that will keep your hatchling healthy and growing. I wouldn't make kelp or seaweed a regular part of his diet.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 pm   Re: Swollen skin or bump on back of baby RES turtle's neck?

Hi! cervoned1 i was wondering if your procedure worked becasue my baby turtle also has the same problem and i cant take it to a vet :(
Neomi7

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:42 am   Re: Swollen skin or bump on back of baby RES turtle's neck?

Hello Neomi7, Wow, I had no idea that this thread was still active until I received an e-mail notification today. Yes, Donnie is just fine. There is absolutely no sign on his neck that anything was ever wrong with him. He is 3 years old now and about 5 inches long. He is such a wonderful little turtle. I was just reading the post from 2010 that I hadn't seen before. I am certain that he had an abscess. I continued to treat the area with antiseptic and it took weeks for it to heal. I don't remember how long it took for the scarred area to disappear, several months at least. But as his skin shed naturally over time it is impossible to tell where that lump was. He is happy and very healthy now. Just be sure to keep everything sterile so that no additional infections result if you try to remove it yourself as I did. Holding their little head still to work on that tiny neck is the hardest part. Best of luck with your baby!
cervoned1

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:55 am   Re: Swollen skin or bump on back of baby RES turtle's neck?

Omg you saved us a vet trip , I have two kids and two dogs and this is my first baby turtle and I started seeing the same lump on her neck and many pet owners were telling me it’s natural but I had a gut feelings and it took me two weeks to find this post but I’m so grateful to you . Our yellow belly slider had a solid hard rock and we are currently having her in a seperate tank and watching her closely but she seems happier and more active she was actually letting herself the first couple tries she would wiggle so much but after we open her skin a bit she seem calm down a lot and let us proceed taking out the solid rock under her skinny her skin looked better automatically within minutes . Once again thank u so much
Mialvarez

Previous

Return to Urgent Care