Photo Gallery :: New to forums, excited to share setup!

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 am   New to forums, excited to share setup!

So here is my res set up for the moment. It is simple, but effective. I have a 35 gallon, more tall than wide, tank for my res. I have two filters, one in-water filter and over the side filter. My wife bought me a turtle topper for christmas and I use that and I also bought a suction cup ramp and placed it half way in the water for a little landing area. Tell me what you think! Any questions or constructive criticisms are welcome. I will post more pictures soon!!

MuttKali

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 am   Re: New to forums, excited to share setup!

Where's the turtle? ;) Great set up! Do you have/need a water heater where you are?
devilduck

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:15 pm   Re: New to forums, excited to share setup!

devilduck wrote:Where's the turtle? ;) Great set up! Do you have/need a water heater where you are?

Thank you! I'm really excited about it. Yes, I do, I have a great heater. I wouldn't be able to tell you much about it since I bought it a while ago from a mom 'n pop shop. But I only need one and it keeps my temperature regulated nicely. I keep it at 75-77 area. I do live on the east coast of the US so it's cold right now, so when it's cold in my bedroom the water is a little colder, but that's to be expected.

The turtles where on the little landing pad under the topper. That's their favorite place. But I did take new photos today! I'll post them after this one!
MuttKali

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:24 pm   Re: New to forums, excited to share setup!

This is Squirt. The smaller, newer one.

And this is Chibi.

MuttKali

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm   Re: New to forums, excited to share setup!

Oh and if anyone is curious, the tank next to mine are my wife's bearded dragons.
MuttKali

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:33 pm   Re: New to forums, excited to share setup!

Looks good, though the UVB needs to under the basking area as well. I'll sift and get rid any of the small pebbles/gravel in the tank. The tank looks like it's been resealed, I would carefully check it occasionally.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:36 pm   Re: New to forums, excited to share setup!

steve wrote:Looks good, though the UVB needs to under the basking area as well. I'll sift and get rid any of the small pebbles/gravel in the tank. The tank looks like it's been resealed, I would carefully check it occasionally.

Yeah I resealed it right before I signed up here. I didn't do a pretty job, but it's sealed well and I check on it continuously. (I'd hear it from the wife if her dragons got wet haha.) I didn't think the uv needed to be there but I'll have to get another lamp when the money comes. So I need one for the water /and/ the basking area?

and as for the gravel, I don't even want it in there. My wife makes me so it doesn't look plain. But she's not the one cleaning it. =\
MuttKali

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:56 pm   Re: New to forums, excited to share setup!

Switch from gravel to play sand. They can eat the gravel and it could get stuck in them, this could kill them. Plus sand looks more natural, and the turtles will play in it;)
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:05 pm   Re: New to forums, excited to share setup!

There is still debate about UV rays traveling thru water. The problem I have noticed is the UVB bulbs that are currently available on the market produce a much smaller amount of UVB intensity than the sun. For this reason we keep our bulbs close to the animals. When using a UVB meter you can see how dramatic the UVB intensity will drop off as you move the sensor farther from the bulb. For this reason, the thought is UVB from the bulbs will not travel thru water or at least the rays will be to weak for D3 photosynthesis. We all position our bulbs over the basking zone to expose the basking bulbs rays to the basking zone.
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:06 am   Re: New to forums, excited to share setup!

Cute turtles! Hope to see more pictures :)
nariangel

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:32 am   Re: New to forums, excited to share setup!

Your turtles are adorable! I would love to see the bearded dragons.
:mrgreen: Bill - RES
Dixie, Georgia, and Scrappy - cats
ataraxiamb

Return to Photo Gallery