Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Planted pens for box turtles and tortoises

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:41 pm   Planted pens for box turtles and tortoises

Hi all,

I'd like to add some plants to Apollo's enclosure. I want to stick with stuff that will be completely safe for him - leaves/flowers/seeds and all. What do you recommend? In poking around I'm hearing that hibiscus might be a good choice. I have some herbs like basil and oregano, and spring mix lettuce as well. Would those work? I'm just hoping to make his pen a little more interesting and maybe help it retain humidity better.

If you recommendations would be different for a Redfoot tortoise, I'd like to hear those too! My boyfriend is in the process of building a better tortoise table for his Redfoot and he would like to plant it as well.

Thank you!
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 pm   Re: Planted pens for box turtles and tortoises

What the stuff that's part of his diet now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 am   Re: Planted pens for box turtles and tortoises

He eats a wide variety - greens (romaine/dandelion/mustard/collard), fruit (strawberries/raspberries), veggies (bell pepper/sweet potato), occasionally a hard boiled egg or superworms, and pellets a few times a week.

(Incidentally, has Reptomin changed? I just bought a new container and all three turtles are turning their noses up at it.)
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:20 am   Re: Planted pens for box turtles and tortoises

I don't have an answer for you about Reptomin, as I've never used it.

As far as planting, I grew cat grass in my boxie's pen for a while, and that allowed me to let earthworms live in there so he could hunt/dig for them.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:08 pm   Re: Planted pens for box turtles and tortoises

I can't recall any significant change to Reptomin. How large of container do you buy?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:11 am   Re: Planted pens for box turtles and tortoises

I can certainly get cat grass easily enough - did you just use the stuff that comes in kits from the pet store?

Steve, I buy the big 10.59 ounce container.
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
Starchick

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion