Feeding and Nutrition :: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

That would be a good idea. What are their genders?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:42 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

I believe that they are both female.
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

You might want to do it in a separate feeding container to cut down on the mess too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:40 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

The fish usually clean up all the scraps. The filter usually takes anything else rather quickly. Today i cut up the jelo shots into smaller pieces and that seemed to work since they weren't going for just two pieces.
2- RES
-Hester 5.25" (Female)
-Turty 4" (Female)
Eltemp

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:49 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

I love this forum! I am learning so many great tips for taking care of my turtles. That being said,I saw it mentioned before too about feeding your turtles in a separate container to cut down on the mess. I must say Amen! to that, because I am trying it now and not only does it keep your tank cleaner but my turtles won't eat right away if the food is floating around in their normal tank. If I put them in the container to eat, they eat right away and within seconds so I can really keep better track of what they are (or aren't) eating. Works great! Thanks and keep the great suggestions coming. :mrgreen: :msgreen: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
2 RES ~ Spot & Speckles
1 Western Painted ~ Freckles
smartygurl

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:36 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Current Feeding Regime

Monday: Mixed greens(red leaf, dandelion, baby lettuce)
Tuesday: Mixed greens(red leaf,dandelion,baby lettuce)
Wednesday: Live minnows
Thursday: Mixed greens(red leaf, dandelion,baby lettuce)
Friday: Live minnows
Saturday: Hikari Wheat Germ
Sunday: Fast Day

Their treat list(I give treats twice a month) currently includes boiled chicken liver,frozen bloodworms, sweet potato, and/or banana.
~jorjor~

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:21 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle Age (Aprox) 3.5 years
Turtle Size (SCL) 6 inches
Turtle habitat (indoor/outdoor) indoor

Marcie doesnt exactly have a set schedule for her diet but she does eat lettuce, fish, carrot. earth worms, meal worms

i havent tried her on much else as she enjoys eating things for a period of time then doesnt have interest in it after so when her appetite changes i try her on something new
Abi_Cadaby

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:08 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Turtle age:aprox 1yr
Turtle size:aprox 10 inches
Turtle habitat:indoor and outdoor(in summer)
But mostly indoors.inside are duckweed,apple snails,minnows,and a few goldfish.
The minnows run out fast :(

Sunday:minnows,turtle pellets

Monday:minnows,apple snails(shell removed),turtle pellets

Tuesday:fresh greens,minnows,turtle pellets

Wednesday:crickets(dusted),earthworms,minnows

Thursday:minnows,turtle pellets,chicken meat(white)

Friday:minnow,super worms,turtle pellets

Saturday:don't feed
Samuelsimjk

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:08 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

So I looked at this and didn't see anyone with a turtle my size :-(
She is maybe 10 or so years old, adopted so not sure, but she is most deferentially full grown at 12 inches. As far as I know she was given a palm full of pellets everyday. I am currently regulating her diet to what it should be. My plan is head size amount of pellets 3 times a week and veggies the rest. Every now and then I'll give her a cuttlebone and about once a month or so a few fish. I am also considering some aquatic plants though she most likely shred them.
Any rate, what kind of portions should I give her for the greens?
Litch

Post Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:20 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Personally, I think you can use pellets every day, but only a 1/4 or 1/3 of head size. For lettuce, 1 1/2 leaf portion might be enough but it's hard to estimate. Check the stool to make sure it's not very loose.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:21 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

RES: Ms. T
Weight: 1 1/2 pounds
Measures: 7 X 6 1/2"
Habitat: Indoor

After fighting shell issues for a several years, I have reverted to some degree to what I consider natural foods (those she would get in the wild). This is also the advise of my vet, but I know from experience that their
opinions vary, too. I don't have a strict schedule, but alternate between frozen herring (slices of whole fish, bone and entrails), greens, dried worms & crickets. I do give her treats of avocado, carrot, and occasional fruit. I do use a cuttlebone. I am lucky she is a ravenous eater and not too fussy. Also for that reason, I work at not over feeding, since that is supposedly responsible for some of the deformities in her shell?

The shell problems stem from my ignorance and lack of the correct lighting (& good advise ;), but she now has two lights (UV & basking) and with the new diet seems to be doing better. Diet is obviously only one part of the equation. My opinion is that they are like any other critter and they thrive for different reasons and in varied circumstances. Do you think people would still purchase these creatures if they knew they were making a 40+ year commitment? :lol:
kathywa

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:48 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Glad to hear an update about Ms. T :) I completely agree with your opinion too!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:10 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

I am new to this but I feed my turtles every other day. I combine pellets with veggies and once a week I give them freeze dried crickets - about three or four at a time. I recently made "jello shots" using carrots, sweet potato, beet greens, kale, romaine lettuce, and a bit of apple. I don't think I will continue using the beet greens given the oxalic acid debacle but thankfully I sprinkled some calcium powder in the mix, so hopefully all is well. I keep seeing that a good diet consists of 50% veggies, 25% pellets, and 25% protein. That part is easy but I have to say, I am a bit confused about which veggies are best - I have stumbled across several discrepancies. I see that water such as anacharis and duckweed are beneficial. It seems as though dandelion greens get a thumbs up. Kale seems "iffy" - perhaps best in moderation. Spinach is not recommended. Carrots, squash, and sweet potato are okay in moderate amounts...I hope I am on the right track. Perfecting the diet for a turtle is a real science. I want to provide the best nutrition possible but I am honestly feeling a bit challenged. I look forward to learning as much as possible here.
lovemyturtles

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:54 am   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

It's like raising kids :) You read and share with others (like here), and use your own best judgment! I ask myself what they would eat in their natural habitat and how to
mimic that. Some may depend on what they will eat and what you have most available. Sometimes you will make changes because of new information or a particular
need you have. I don't think it is all that cut and dried. I am grateful for a good website like this one and a good vet! Have fun!
kathywa

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 pm   Re: Feeding list! (Add yours here)

Size: 5 1/2"
Habitat: indoor

Sunday: jello shot (kale, carrot, sweet potato, tomato, blueberry, cuttle bone, tiny amount of tuna, Apple peel)
Monday: nothing
Tuesday: red leaf lettuce
Wednesday: nothing
Thursday: jello shot
Friday: nothing
Saturday: 2-5 Wardley pellets, red leaf lettuce

Treats: rosey red minnows (when he decides to chase one down) spinach (once or twice a year) worms (rare) once he had a frog (my sister thought he'd want a friend)
1 RES: Swimmy 16
1 DBT Hatchling: Roland
IG: ceti_alpha_five
Swimmy97

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition