Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Turtle Attacked By What??-Caution-Graphic Photo

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:47 pm   Turtle Attacked By What??-Caution-Graphic Photo

Hello,
I just found this site and registered in the hope to get an educated answer into what could have attacked our neighbors pet turtle.
We have the same box turtle as some friends of ours and this morning they found a horrific scene. Something attacked and ate their little guy overnight right in his pen. They dont have a dog. Their wrought iron fences are 5' high but some neighbors have claimed coyotes can climb them. I've never seen this in my yard.( we have coyotes in the neighborhood often ). In the area, Orange County CA, we also have Cougars, Possums, Roof Rats, Skunks, Raccoons, Weasels, Hawks, & Crows. Any ideas?? Im sorry if the photo is too graphic for anyone. I was hoping it would help nail down the killer. We dont want this happening again. The teeth marks along the edges of the opening and the at the edge of the shell lead me to believe a Coyote. Im shocked it didnt carry the turtle away to finish it off somewhere else other than in a small backyard. Any help is surely appreciated. - Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Trutle Attacked.jpg
*Caution - Graphic Photo *
Last edited by MVMike on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MVMike

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:16 pm   Re: Turtle Attacked - Help identifying killer

Racoon? Bird? Hungry cat?
Turtles:
Dexter (RES)
Shelby (RES - gone and I feel really really bad).
Miracle (Box Turtle - Given to me after Shelby left us).
Orion (Mississippi Map Turtle).
AlexisAwesome

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:21 pm   Re: Turtle Attacked - Help identifying killer

Id say Raccon, as coyotes from people I know that actually have had to deal with them. The coyotes would actually make off with the turtles and not stick around to eat them the their.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:25 pm   Re: Turtle Attacked - Help identifying killer

Diamondbacks4Life wrote:Id say Raccon, as coyotes from people I know that actually have had to deal with them. The coyotes would actually make off with the turtles and not stick around to eat them the their.

They are nocturnal, eating anything they find.
Turtles:
Dexter (RES)
Shelby (RES - gone and I feel really really bad).
Miracle (Box Turtle - Given to me after Shelby left us).
Orion (Mississippi Map Turtle).
AlexisAwesome

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:38 am   Re: Turtle Attacked By What??-Caution-Graphic Photo

I'd guess raccoon as well. Rats can also be quite viscous.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:15 pm   Re: Turtle Attacked By What??-Caution-Graphic Photo

Could that be a possom?
talal

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:59 pm   Re: Turtle Attacked By What??-Caution-Graphic Photo

I'm also guessing it's a raccoon, R.I.P turtle
Fish keeper & Turtle know it all... Ish
Rizvan

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion