Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Ornate Box Turtles

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:26 pm   Ornate Box Turtles

Hello,

Does anyone here keep ornate box turtles? I am planning to get a pair soon. I will start building their indoor habitat and would like some ideas from users present on this forum. I'm thinking of building a rectangular 80 - 100 gallon tank like habitat with bottom and sides made out of wood and covered with pond liner so the moist substrate and bath/water bowl spills don't ruin the wood. The back covered with cork bark and the front would be plexiglass the top being egg crate. I would also build a shelf for this enclosure to sit on something new since I only have ever had aquatic turtles and you cant really do that with a tank filled with water! Anyway, what do you guys think?
Last edited by talal on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
talal

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:58 am   Re: Ornate Box Turtles

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Here's a good care sheet if you need it http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/c ... eboxie.htm

I've heard that ornates are a bit more difficult to keep indoors and they're more sensitive to low humidity. Would love a pic once you get the enclosure built.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion