Photo Gallery :: Picture of eggs!

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:25 pm   Re: Picture of eggs!

They'll probably get some calcium back, though it's an incredible mess.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:16 am   Re: Picture of eggs!

lol :) tiny eggs :) and why they broken?
vsoftpk_1

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:02 am   Re: Picture of eggs!

Turtles always attack their eggs when they lay them in the water. They arent fertilized dont worry :) I have two females
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
sflemin2

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:05 pm   Re: Picture of eggs!

I used two plastic gardening pots that plants came in from the store. I dug two holes in our garden, in our back yard. I placed the pots on their sides, allowing half of the pot to stay above ground, creating a cave. I filled them up half way with the dirt from the holes.

I let the male and female walk around the yard all day. The female found the cave and nested in it. I had to show the male the other one when he tried to go in hers.

Once inside, they both burrowed down to the bottoms and have yet to come out. It has been one week so I decided to pull them out to check on them. Both hissed at me, so I guess they liked the caves.

So curious, I dug down in her cave and I discovered one egg, soft shelled, approximately one to one 1/2 inches long, slightly curved, slightly dented, and has a small patch of bruising on the egg.

What do I do now??
Turtle GMPA

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:44 am   Re: Picture of eggs!

Hi Turtle GMPA, this is an old post, so you might not hear from any of the original posters.

Are you sure these turtles are RES? They mate in water. They also would not borrow down or take that long to lay eggs.

The egg also sounds too small to be a healthy RES egg, so you might want to discard it. RES are over populated anyway, so it might be a good idea to throw away any healthy ones.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:33 pm   Re: Picture of eggs!

Yes, they are RES. I had them in a 90 gal tank. I let them roam the back yard every once in a while. I had seen them matting, or trying to for a long time. I tried making her a nesting bed from moist sand using a large plastic container. She never enjoyed the set up. She kept trying to get out. So I tried the pots as mentioned up above. Honestly, they both enjoy them. They dig themselves down. I am going to create a pond environment that they can go back and forth, from water to land, as they desire. She is about 7 inches long, shell length. He is about 6 inches. He is a year or so older but she surpassed him a long time ago. :)
Turtle GMPA

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:35 pm   Re: Picture of eggs!

I am concerned how mean he is to her in the 90 gal tank. He chews at her neck, the soft roles of her top side behind her head. He has caused it to be pretty big. I had to separate them. He never stops.
Turtle GMPA

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:53 pm   Re: Picture of eggs!

New RES caves.jpg

This is what my RES caves look like. They are in them now. :msgreen: :mrgreen:
Turtle GMPA

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:23 pm   Re: Picture of eggs!

This is our female RES. :msgreen:
Attachments
Our Girl RES.jpg
Our RES girl.
Turtle GMPA

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:44 am   Re: Picture of eggs!

It will always be necessary to separate males in captive environments. The opportunity to fight and harass is too great.

The girl looks very nice!
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Photo Gallery