Photo Gallery :: Pictures of Oliver :)

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 pm   Pictures of Oliver :)

Hey all,

Here are a few pictures of my little monster, Oliver.
You might notice that his tank is slightly cloudy, that is simply because he got a brand new filter for his 3rd birthday. :)

Also, if you guys have any suggestions on things I could add to make his tank less boring by all means feel free to leave them here.
Attachments
IMG_20140328_202258.jpg
Turtle extreme close up :)
IMG_20140328_202306.jpg
He likes to hang out there. Also, he loves to detach his basking platform when he is bored.
IMG_20140328_202240.jpg
the filter is a Marineland C-360, Tank size 29 gallons. I still have to get a bracket for the UVB light.
All the Best,
Myrie :)

1 RES - Oliver
1 Cat - Astro
Myrie_011

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:20 pm   Re: Pictures of Oliver :)

What kind of light are you using for the basking area? I would try to get the Zoo Med dock bars up, rather than down. A few, smaller turtles have been caught and drowned. What's the clear tube? Is it the filter output?

Pretty good birthday present :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:43 am   Re: Pictures of Oliver :)

The lights are:
- Repti Tuff Splash proof Halogen lamp
- Repti Sun 5.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent

Good idea about the bars. Never thought of that.

And yes, the white tube is the filter output. The Marineland' outlet tube is very short and I would have ended up with a jet of water about an inch over the water level. Is there issue with having the tube there?

Thanks for the advice!

Myrie
All the Best,

1 RES - Oliver
1 Cat - Astro
Myrie_011

Post Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:51 pm   Re: Pictures of Oliver :)

Also I am aware that his coloring is not ideal. I should mention that I did not have the proper placement of his UVB light prior to finding this forum and have been struggling to feed him veggies... currently on a pellet only diet. I have now placed his UVB over his basking area and making jello shots for him tonight! :) I hope he likes them and that his coloring improves over time.
All the Best,

1 RES - Oliver
1 Cat - Astro
Myrie_011

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:33 pm   Re: Pictures of Oliver :)

I dont think there will be an issue with the tube, though you won't have any surface agitation. Less oxygen in the water will affect the nitrogen cycle and you'll develop protein/oil slicks on the surface. His coloring looks fine from the pics, not sure what the issue is. Try veggie clips... they will hold his greens for him and its easier for them to nibble on them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:45 pm   Re: Pictures of Oliver :)

The water does get agitated at the surface. The jet of water from the tube hits the far wall of the aquarium creating little eddies at the surface. As for his color, I find that he is looking grey, washed out... not as vibrant as he used to be when younger. I figured that was because he was on a pellet only diet. I made him Jello shots and he went nuts for it. Better color or not, he is finally eating veggies :) And I also learned he loves carrot shavings.
All the Best,

1 RES - Oliver
1 Cat - Astro
Myrie_011

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:32 am   Re: Pictures of Oliver :)

Males will become melanistic, so being grayer and darker is actually normal for older RES.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:30 am   Re: Pictures of Oliver :)

You can put all kinds of stuff in with him. Mopani wood, drift wood, fake plants etc.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Photo Gallery