Habitat - Indoor :: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:27 am   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

He means the narrow part. Your place is likely rectangular and the joists (they are the wooden beams that support your floor) are perpendicular between the walls that run closest in parallel to each other. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joist

If you have wood flooring, I think the slats usually run perpendicular to the joists as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:50 am   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Yep Steve . Your turtle should be OK.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:06 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

I will never be able to figure out where my joists are. I thought they can be shared between apartments, no? If they can be then knowing the skinniest part of my rooms won't do anything. And our place is a square with a square of space inside.

So the joists can be positioned in so many ways. I put it by the window on the same wall that the bathtub is on. I'm hoping that since the space under the bathtub is reinforced that I'm catching some of that reinforcement. Of course I realize that it can just be reinforced directly under and that's it but maybe it spreads to either room on the side and I'm hoping it spreads to the livingroom and not the bedroom.

Lolol so many iffs
Lalachka

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:43 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

As far as perpendicular to the flooring. On one site I saw that the floor is perpendicular to the flooring underwood or whatever it's called, which in turn is perpendicular to the joists. So then that'd make the wood floors be aligned with the joists.

But that still wouldn't help me. In that room I have tile looking wood floors. Look at the pic)))))

I can't catch a break with this project))))
Lalachka

Post Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:07 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Post a pic of the room the turtle will be in. You floor should be fine, especially if you have this right next to a supporting or exterior wall. Imagine 2 fat guys standing there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:03 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

How fat? Lol.

My thing will top 1500 but I should be fine

The room is on the pic I posted earlier. I will move it to the left wall instead of the right, so it will share a wall with the bathroom

Check out what I'm going to do
I'm building another box on top of the stand (2x12 standing on the perimeter. Then that will be lined with a pond liner. Inside that there will be a water alarm and a sump pump with the hose going into the bathtub.

So hopefully, if it ever overflows, the water will stay inside that thing with the pond liner and hopefully will get pumped in the bathtub. If it doesn't get pumped I'm hoping that it still stays inside that thingie.

So I think I'm OK))))) as long as this whole construction doesn't cave on my neighbor's head)))))
Lalachka

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:01 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

I forgot about those pictures. I think the location seems fine (the one on page 2). Are you sure that's a Rubbermaid model? It doesn't look like their typical design.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:12 am   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

That's a Rubbermaid tank.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:56 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Will the stock tank sink or float if it's sitting in a pool of water and it's empty?
Lalachka

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:42 am   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Good question. I think that depends on how deep the water is, but it should float in several feet of water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:46 am   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Sucks)))) but not that bad.

This is taking longer than expected. I will post pics once done
Lalachka

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:25 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

Lalachka wrote:Will the stock tank sink or float if it's sitting in a pool of water and it's empty?

Not sure why you ask but the answer is float. How much water you need depends on displacement.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:49 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

i ask because i built a box around the tank. so in the worst case scenario, if it leaks i'm hoping that the water will just flow back in the tank, leak out, flow back in and on and on until i get home and can fix whatever happened.

if it floats then once enough water leaked out it will float and the water won't be able to go back in the tank, it will overflow the box and go on the floor and on my neighbor's head.

so now i will secure the tank in place so that if it ever leaks it doesn't float.

i might be a little paranoid but we flooded this guy 6 times, i feel horrible, it was my daughter but still.

but i have another problem. i have a pump with a 1 inch female connector. i need to connect a hose to it. what are my options? are there 1 inch hoses? i have a 1 1/4 inch hose but i can't find a connector that's 1 1/4 in barb to 1 in male
Lalachka

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:27 pm   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

If it leaks, it'll stay between the barrier and the tank. What kind of hoses? You might need to check with a plumbing store for more fitting options.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:36 am   Re: Filter for 100 gallon Rubbermaid

The barrier is not big enough for 100 gallons. So at some point it either overflows on the floor or, as I'm aiming for, back into the tank once the water level rises above the tank height.
That's why I'm asking if it will float. If it floats then the water level will keep rising along with the tank and the water won't go back in the tank and will overflow.

I'm securing the tank to the box so it stays there.

But I think I just did something really stupid. I'm setting up the drain to drain in my bathtub. This is what I have

On all the connections and inside the tank by the plug is plumber's epoxy. I didn't realize it might be harmful to the turtle.

I put aquarium safe silicone around it but I doubt I caught every spot. What will happen?

Lalachka

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor