Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Painted Turtle

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:11 pm   Painted Turtle

Hi, I'm new to the site and I have a couple of questions about my baby painted turtle, Vernon.
Ive learned a lot since I found "him" (I guess he's a him) in late May. I got a new setup in August. 40 gallon with heat and UVB bulbs and a nice basking island. Around the time I got this new tank, I noticed that his shell had a little give and was becoming oddly shaped as you can see in the picture.

I have a couple of questions.
Around August, I changed his diet from veggies (butter lettuce and collard greens), to reptomin pellets covered in calcium powder. But I was worried I was feeding him too much since he started to look overweight, according to pictures I saw. So I went back to the veggies. My question is, how much should I be feeding him and how often?

Since I noticed the give in his shell and putting him in a high calcium environment, I haven't noticed a huge difference in his shell stiffness. Its not worse, but I don't think its better. Am I doing everything I can to help him out?

Now Im noticing his shell is becoming somewhat recessed. What could be causing that? Is he starting to shed, or is it something more serious?

Any input would be helpful. Thanks :)
Attachments
IMG_3702.jpg
jakejh02

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:06 am   Re: Painted Turtle

Hi Jake, pellets at most should be a smaller amount that his head. In fact, be conservative with the pellets. You can still use veggies everyday. I'm not sure as to why the shell would look like that. It might be related to a drastic change in the diet?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:31 pm   Re: Painted Turtle

Got it. I was a little generous with the reptomin in the beginning, that's why I thought he might be over weight. He's about two inches from front of the shell to the back and that hasn't changed for awhile. So I cut him back to two pellets a day. Is that too little?

Thanks.
jakejh02

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:12 pm   Re: Painted Turtle

Two is a bit little. Check redearslider.com/pellets.html and be a conservative to those recommendations. I'd also remove any gravel or pebbles in the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:55 pm   Re: Painted Turtle

I was feeding him 3 - 4 reptomin pellets a day and also collards and butter lettuce then I noticed the shell beginning to deform. Since he has adequate lighting and has calcium powder and a cuttlebone, I figured I was over feeding him. So for the past month I've cut him back to 2 pellets and veggies. He is still active, but his shell isn't showing any real signs of improvement. I know it will take a while, but I thought I'd see some improvements.
jakejh02

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:28 am   Re: Painted Turtle

Not a painted turtle. Most likely a Northern Red-belly Turtle: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/world_ ... index.html or a florida redbellied cooter: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/world_ ... index.html, depending on your location.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.