Other Turtle Discussion :: NYC Turtles Need New Home :( Very Sad Day

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:38 pm   NYC Turtles Need New Home :( Very Sad Day

The short story: I've been trying to find advice and resources for turtle re-homing - is there a section on here by chance?

Long Story: I've had my two red ear slider turtles Elvison (first prize in the latest redearslider.com photo contest!) and Fat for about four years. At the beginning, I had NO idea what I was getting into, but luckily I found this website and have raised them, with your help, into healthy young adults. They are now roughly 4.5" (elvison: 13 oz, fat: 15oz)

Unfortunately, I'm moving to a new apartment way uptown- renting a room in a two bedroom share, and after trying to conceive of ideas to make this work, it's apparent that it can't.

This week I brought them to my mom's apartment in Chelsea where they can stay for a week or two while I figure this out. I had to toss their bigger tank (broke in transit) and put them together in a 30 gallon one from when they were babies (please don't yell at me - I know - I've scolded other turtle owners and can't believe I myself am in this position), and I feel horrible. Luckily they get along and bask most of the day, so they don't seem at all traumatized so far, but its not right.

I called a place in Long Island, but they are apparently not taking turtles at this time. I've asked friends, posted on Facebook, and I've had no luck except for ignorant people telling me to put them in Central Park.

I know re-homing red ear slider turtles is no easy task, but do you have any advice or resources you can point me to?

I'm happy to spend the money on a new 90g tank or anything a new owner would need. They currently have lighting (1 heat, 1 UVB blub and fixtures), water testing supplies, a basking pier (they're growing a little big for it, but cozy up there together okay now), a Fluval canister filter, and a couple months worth of bio, chemical, and mechanical filtration media. No water heater - it was so hot all the time in my last apartment that I didn't need one, but I'm happy to buy for new owner.

Thanks so much for your help, any thoughts are much appreciated.
Marilyn
2 RES Elvison & Fat
marilynm

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:22 pm   Re: NYC Turtles Need New Home :( Very Sad Day

Why don't you think it can work? Can you do something semi-permanent until you have things sorted out? Storage containers, stocktanks, etc?

I'm sure you know the dangers of releasing her. Doing so in the current eastern US weather conditions is certain death. It takes weeks to condition and for them to wind down.

Here are some links, but it's usually very tough to get it done right: http://www.redearslider.com/links_adopt ... scues.html
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:07 pm   Re: NYC Turtles Need New Home :( Very Sad Day

Thank you so much Steve. Yeah I would never release them in the wild - especially up here! Putting aside their well-being (and that they would die in an hour, especially this time of year) - I'm pretty anti disrupting up a native ecosystem by introducing non-native inhabitants.

I did follow a few of the links - and sent about 20 emails out - and eventually heard from my local Turtle & Tortoise society, which passed along the name of a man in Tennessee who will likely be able to take them come Spring, assuming I can cover transit and donation for their care, which I'm more than happy to do. I've emailed him directly and I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Until then, I ordered a large storage container (hey, as long as they can swim and bask, they don't care if its pretty, right?) that I think my filter input and output can clip to, and my mom agreed to keep them for a couple months as long as I come by to clean them and what not.

Thanks so much for your help, I don't know what I'd do without Turtle Talk!
Marilyn
2 RES Elvison & Fat
marilynm

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:07 pm   Re: NYC Turtles Need New Home :( Very Sad Day

There are plenty of RES and non-natives in the parks around here, but the adjustment from captive to wild environments is particularly dangerous. I'm glad there's a prospect for you. It's so hard to re-home RES and you're being very generous too.

Anyway, a storage container will do. Good luck!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:41 am   Re: NYC Turtles Need New Home :( Very Sad Day

Hopefully you can find homes for them please keep us updated my cousin is thinking about getting one and if he decides to I will def let you know first, but don't hold onto them for me

1 Female RES named Raphael
75 gallon tank :D
butterflygirl921

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:54 pm   Re: NYC Turtles Need New Home :( Very Sad Day

Have you found your turtles homes?
RES female ~* Gamera
Russian tort ~* Tortuga
TortsNTurtles

Return to Other Turtle Discussion