Urgent Care :: RIP DUMBORK -- YOU WILL BE MISSED

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:59 am   RIP DUMBORK -- YOU WILL BE MISSED

Dear Turtle Talk Team,

Dumbork passed away last night, 9:30 pm, Philippine Standard Time.

Vet said that there was an allergic reaction, since the puffiness only covered the neck and arms (not the lower limbs). Tried to give her antihistamine but I guess it's too late. I'm just glad that I was with her for the whole day.

I was able to monitor her -- puffiness showed as early as 7:45 am. She was able to bask, from 8 am onwards, but by 3:00pm she showed signs of restlessness, going crazy in the tank, going in circles.

Around 5 pm I removed her from the tank for fear of drowning and placed her in the feeding dish. I coaxed her with some pellet, to no avail, eyes are slowly closing, she's going in circles, and swinging her head back and forth, up and down as if her neck is itchy.

6:00 pm I changed the water in her tank. She was still in the feeding dish but symptoms increased in magnitude. Restless circling every 5 minutes, and then 5 minutes of being still.

By 7:00 pm I feared for the worst. Contacted the vet, told my sister to prepare herself for the worst case scenario.

8:30 pm got a call from the vet to purchase anti-histamine. Vet initially recommended washing Dumbork with a bar of soap (basic solution to counter the acidic effects of the allergy), but mentioned that if the puffiness showed this morning, allergic reaction may have already reached the organs, specifically the throat area. Thought of going to the vet but he leaves very far.

8:45 pm managed to buy anti-histamine and crushed into powder. Inserted some water in a TB syringe and force fed her. Head is already limp, limbs are weak, eyes glazed and half closed.

For 20 minutes I managed to give her 3 shots of the crushed powder (pinhead size), but she's not swallowing anymore. Moved her from the feeding container into a clear plastic container with no water. Vet gave advice to try again and pray.

9:15some signs of life, tails tucked in the body, limbs retracted; head came up but only for seconds.

9:25 tried one last time to force feed her. Hands shaking so badly.

9:30 TOD. Limbs limp, eyes not responding. When touched, the water made the limps move. Neck very bloated and puffy.

9:30 - 11:30 pm Vigil with my other sister. Made some arrangement and plans. Placed her in the feeding container with small water. Head was downcast. Limbs in normal position, it was as if she was just sleeping.

I did not have the heart to unplug her filter. The constant gargle and drip of water was soothing in my ears.

Today. Woke up at 5:45, thinking and wishing and hoping that it was just a dream.

Mom removed the water from the plastic container. Covered her with sand. Placed her in a red box with her picture on it.

6:45 finally removed/unplugged her filter. The sudden silence was deafening. Lights were off (UVB and heat). Will have to tackle her tank when I come home from work.

My heart is breaking. I'm at work and trying hard not to cry. 3 years.

Will wait for my sister before burying the body. She will arrive on Thursday. Do you think that's okay? Will she smell/decompose on her own?

Please pray for her and her safe travel to turtle heaven.

DUMBORK (October 14, 2011 - February 9, 2014). You will truly be missed.

Last edited by dumbork14 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
dumbork14

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 am   Re: gasping, restless

Oh no! Please bump up the temperatures. What did the vet say? Lethargy and puffiness is not a good sign but it's good that she ate recently. You and Dumbork are in my thoughts.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:51 am   Re: RIP DUMBORK -- YOU WILL BE MISSED

I'm very sorry to hear it :(

Yes, you will want to do something right away. Most people freeze their pet when they need to temporarily preserve it. I'm not sure what the alternatives are. Farewell Dumbork.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:17 am   Re: RIP DUMBORK -- YOU WILL BE MISSED

My condolences--it is so very frustrating when things like this happen to turtles (especially RES) who receive excellent care...Dumbork will be in my prayers and thoughts, as well. It goes without saying that you're always welcome here, turtle or not!
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:41 pm   Re: RIP DUMBORK -- YOU WILL BE MISSED

I am so sorry. I've enjoyed your posts about her and know she was loved and cared for., with a life that was mutually fulfilling for both of you.

My deepest sympathies.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:50 am   Re: RIP DUMBORK -- YOU WILL BE MISSED

I'm so sorry for your loss. Rip Dumbork.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:34 am   Re: RIP DUMBORK -- YOU WILL BE MISSED

So sorry for your loss. :-(
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
1 Common Musk Charcoal ( Rest In Peace :cry:)
1 Red-Bellied Turtle Hermes
mythicalpet

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:58 pm   Re: RIP DUMBORK -- YOU WILL BE MISSED

:( I can't imagine going through what you did and I am very sorry for your loss.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:22 am   Re: RIP DUMBORK -- YOU WILL BE MISSED

I had a turtle named Cocoamaster.Amazing he survived 1 whole month without food.She was ill with respiratory infection.My mom woke up at 3am and saw him flipped over.She flipped him over.3 hours later,when I was getting ready for school I saw that she was stiff and no heart beat.I had another one called grylls,way more sad.Same illness,died after 1 month.I picked him up while his heart was beating still,then,the heart suddenly stopped beating.It is hard and I know what it feels like
[ff0000] Turtles:
Bright eyes
Cocoamaster(Deceased)
Grylls(Deceased)
Brothers turtles:
Flip
Speedy(Deceased)
Bear(deceased)
Grandmas turtle:Gizzie
RENEGADE

Return to Urgent Care