Equipment Review and Discussion :: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:43 pm   Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

I have a 40 gallon tank with one 5" YBS. Thoughts? Recommendations? I keep going back and forth between the two. HELP (please)!
Lrigyttiw

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:38 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

I have no experience with the Filstar.

I had a Fluval 406 for about two years before finally upgrading to an FX6. Easy to clean. Ran great. And actually had a larger biomedia capacity than the FX6.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:32 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

I just got the Fluval 406 today! Time to break down the current tank configuration and get it started!
Lrigyttiw

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:57 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

My fiancé surprised me and bought the Fluval 406 for me yesterday. I had to reconfigure the tank stand to accommodate the filter. Last night, I did the cold water filter set up (described in the Filter thread), but I had to use the media that came with the 406. I'm still waiting for the water to get to 78 degrees - my heater is the 50 watt Via Aqua that I used with my 10 gallon tank. The new 200 watt 50 gallon heater will be delivered on Wednesday, along with the BioMax Bio Rings, Purigen, Prime, and Discus Buffer, a stick on thermometer, a floating thermometer, and an extension tube for my Python.

We moved the power strip, and it's hanging on the back of the middle left cement block. I think this set up should hold me for awhile.

And to add to matters, my co-worker had to re-home her YBS, so I offered to take him. Meet Roger Daltrey (hitching a ride on Elton's back, in the 10 gallon "holding" tank):
Attachments
03292015 (8)a.jpg
03302015 Fluval 406 (4)a.jpg
03302015 Fluval 406 (3).JPG
03302015 Fluval 406 (1).JPG
03302015 Fluval 406 (6).JPG
Lrigyttiw

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:53 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

Got to this a little late but it needs to be said. The new API Filstar filters are made in china out of cheap materials. The customer service is horrible. This filter should be added to the filters to avoid list ! Glad you went with the Fluval.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:45 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

Now, I'm just confused about tank cycling. I'm reading and reading, and reading.....
Lrigyttiw

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:15 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

Just fill it and let it go for a while. Its not hard to cycle a tank and turtles don't care if its done cycling! It only effects fish. Any more questions myself and others on here will help you out. That's why we are here. Chear up!!! Life is great! :-)
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:50 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

Kansasslider is right. Turtles aren't breatihing the water like fish, so the cycle won't affect them much.

I'd still test levels and be ready to do water changes if ammonia/nitrite/nitrate get very high. That may prolong the cycle a bit, but even though they don't breathe the water, turtles do swallow it.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:00 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

My babies seem really happy, swimming and diving off the basking platform ramp. I love this forum! Thanks for all the info and the advice.
Lrigyttiw

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:28 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

So, all my new media was delivered today. I ordered more boxes of Biomax Bio Rings than I needed, but that's okay. Let's see if all this research and reading pays off.
Lrigyttiw

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:28 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

As a rookie RES owner, I initially housed them in a 10 gallon tank for about a month until I saved up the money and purchased a 75 gallon w/stand. I did my research on canister filters and decided on the Filstar (Rena) XP4. Now I'm starting to think I made a mistake. I set my new tank up Friday evening. The filter was so powerful! Fast forward to Monday (3 days later) and the filter is down to about 50% of the suction and output it started with. I've re-primed, checked all hose and tubing connections. When I take off the filter strainer, I can feel the suction but feel nothing if the strainer is attached. I took out the micro filtration pad to ensure it wasn't clogged-even though it had only been 3 days and Fred and Wilma are only about 2 inches. The water is also cloudy. I am new to the canister filter community but I am so frustrated. I hope this filter isn't going to be this much work every couple of days considering I still have not found a solution. After further research, I'm seeing posts about the Filstar being cheaply made and several owners stating they have problems too. Any advise to a newbie?
Tmac

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:37 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

Hello : See you added to another's old post , Ok for now , You can start a new post anytime just for you under NEW Topic. I do not use any Rena , I'm a Fiuval fan now with FX6. Seen/ heard a lot people start with that XP and have nothing but problems short life , leaks and flow... The biggest complaint inconsistent flow. The way it primes and to the level it primes . Remember motor impeller on top any air trapped there will be a problem. Let it prime as manuel says look at where it stops at. Then release only one of the four clamps on top , let air out slowly an you will see it prime all the way. Then close that clamp. Should help , now impeller all the way in water! Just me but I feel motor/impeller works better on bottom . Any filter sucking air and impeller on top no good , impeller on bottom no chance of air messing with it.
Cloudy water , new tank syndrome , give it time to cycle properly. RES's don't care about a cycle they are hardy , that's only for fish. Few more days will clear.
Did you modify any media if over packed the top you may have blocked the chambers that the water flow follows. Did the lid fit easy or you had to push down to do the clamps. Make sure all baskets seated down correctly again. This filter top should have at lease 1/2 clearance don't over pack.

Did see photo of your tank and ATBA looks very good , Fred and Wilma will be happy.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:26 pm   Re: Fluval 406 or API Filstar XP-L Canister Filter?

What media do you have in it and how is it arranged?

Many of the fine filters that are great for fish clog quickly in turtle tanks and reduce flow.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
ljapa

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion