Other Turtle Discussion :: Female RES keeps laying (then eats) unfertilized eggs!!

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:28 pm   Female RES keeps laying (then eats) unfertilized eggs!!

Hey everyone!! OK, I have had Money for about 10 and a half years. Since the beginning of this year, she has laid 2 large "batches" of eggs. (8 eggs the first time and 6 eggs the second time.) Then she ate them and it was not fun cleaning the tank afterwards! Any who, a couple months go by and nothing so I figured it was done with. Nope! Middle of June she laid maybe 3-4 eggs (it was a mess in her tank!) and then this past Saturday she laid another one!! What gives?? She has never mated, doesn't even have another turtle companion (she dominated over her tankmate 9 years ago which resulted in his death), and eats the eggs!! Not the whole egg, maybe bout half of it. Any ideas as to what's going on??
Money-Green Rocks!!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:27 pm   Re: Female RES keeps laying (then eats) unfertilized eggs!!

Well, it's good that she's laying them (does she exhibit nesting behavior?) but it's normal for them to eat them if they see them in an aquarium. Hey, they think it's a good idea to eat poop :roll:

I'd just try to take it up or clean up as soon as you can.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:13 pm   Re: Female RES keeps laying (then eats) unfertilized eggs!!

"becoming very restless and exhibiting a lot of digging motions with her hind legs and will frantically try to get out of the tank" - copied from your "Reproduction" section, she has always been like that! She's feisty!! So I guess if eating her own poo doesn't hurt her, eating her eggs won't either! But I can never catch them b4 she gobbles them up! Thank you!!
Money-Green Rocks!!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:37 am   Re: Female RES keeps laying (then eats) unfertilized eggs!!

"becoming very restless and exhibiting a lot of digging motions with her hind legs and will frantically try to get out of the tank"

Also note that they will likely ignore food when they are doing that (not to be confused with begging).
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion