Equipment Review and Discussion :: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:39 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Drain/ clean. I still use the carbon filter to do water changes. I also use a pump to drain the water after I get done with the syphon. I usually syphon about 25 gallons.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:43 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Yes, what ever is the easiest is best in these situations. I used to use a siphon (but not with the sink attachment) and it was fine but would add a couple of hours to the job. It's so much better with a pump.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:52 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

It was just taking way too long and I realized how much water I was wasting! It actually takes less time now " more back ache" but its only taking about an hour a week.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:02 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Steve, Do you have a pump attached to a syphon?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:31 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I slip it on when it's time to drain, and off when I use it to fill the tank. The drain/faucet are next to each other, so I don't have to move things around once I get started. The sink end of the hose is threaded for the faucet, the tank end has nothing.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:41 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I just setup a fill-up filter similar to this, and had a question...
When you're done filling, do you empty the water out of the filter body? Take it apart and let it dry before putting it away? Keep the actual filter submerged in between uses?

Just curious if any of these would affect the carbon.
OtisDriftwood

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:35 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Mine stays full of water and I've never had issues doing it that way. Not sure what others do?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:45 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I've been wanting to install it as well and had the same question. I'd guess to not let the water sit too long (more than 2 weeks) and let it flush out before you use it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:56 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Would letting the carbon dry out affect it?
OtisDriftwood

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:45 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

That's what I want to know, but I'm guessing it should be fine.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:55 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I have been looking into these filters. My buddy has a 1100g salt water tank and I was helping him hook up his setup he has 3 inline carbon filters...why 3? Maybe for more water contact with the carbon. His is a one piece setup that cost is about $600.00
For about $100.00 I could have the same setup....

DuPont™ Universal Bypass Valve-in-Head Whole House Filtration System
Model Number: WFPF38001C | Menards® SKU: 6923444

$29.88
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
1 ASN 4" "ROCKY" male ( AFRICAN SIDENECK )
1 ASN 4" "VENOM" MALE ( AFRICAN SIDENECK )
Rjs

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:45 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Yes I think your exactly correct. Its just for longer contact time. I have considered useing 2 but 1 works fine as long as you make sure to run the water really slow through it. Whats slow? About 4-6 hours to fill a 150 gallon tank. At least that's how I do it. I have a 150 gallon spare stock tank and I just run the water through the filter at a trickle the morning of a water change. And yes I have forgotton about it and had spill overs. I should install a float switch :-)
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:09 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Kansas have you tested your water before and after at full blast?
Then test your water at your slow pace?
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:18 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Yes I did but to be honest I don't have that much chloramines in my water anyway. I might have posted my results in the beginning of this post. To be honest if you want you can just use chlorine remover or let your water sit overnight. Unless you have sensitive fish in your tanks its really not a big issue.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:08 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Looking into getting away from using chemicals.....I think this is a good idea to pretreat the water vs using chemicals and letting our filtration system take the full hit......

Kansas are you running a fx6 and a fx5 on your 300g?
125g habitat
FX6
1 RES 4" "GRUMPY" male
1 RES 3" "CIN" Male
Rjs

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion