just soem quick questions

how long can turtles live out of water
with no food?

blah blah

i'm thinking a while correct?
Justin...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 pm   

Have you lost your turtle?

The best thing to do in that scenario is to look under EVERYTHING. Turtles like dark quiet places. Being out of the tank is stressful for them so they'll look for someplace quiet. YOu can also try to set out a bowl of water or tuna to attract them.

In regards to your questions, turtles can stay out of water without serious consequences for a few hours. How long they can live without food depends on the situation and how healthy they are.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:28 pm   

Turtles can easily stay out of the water for 24 hours, if not longer depending on the environment. Food, generally they can go for about a week without food.

Neither of these are recommended, though. Why do you ask? If you are traveling, look up the tips on the main site about traveling with your turtle. If he's lost, follow meg's suggestions. Otherwise, try to keep them hydrated and well fed. Any added stress can harm the turtle in the long run.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:31 pm   

I hate to admit this but with my first RES (I had no access to information at the time) We let her just roam the house of her own free will, she would usually wander around then snuggle up under some laundry for a while, then when she was hungry she'd come back out, the longest she did this for was a month without coming out. mind you she wasn't used to proper treatment either. (I had no access to any information on turtle care so we did what we did with the other animals, she's in a better home now with a young family)
Nimz

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:24 pm   

Why are these questions even being asked?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:59 pm   

^ Why not? Maybe he as a missing turtle. Even if he doesn't, is curiosity not enough to ask questions?

Justin, a healthy turtle can survive out-of-water for days, even weeks (though is NOT recommended and is NOT good for your turtle). However, if you are talking about taking your turtle out for exercise, only do so if room temperature matches their requirement (70*-90*s).

X2 AKITA
X2 R.E. SLIDER

Respect
ALL beings.
Arisu

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:28 am   

Arisu wrote:^ Why not? Maybe he as a missing turtle. Even if he doesn't, is curiosity not enough to ask questions?

I think more specific questions would result in better answers. Questions asked more seriously would yield more serious answers and discussions. Thats just my opinion though.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:02 pm   

oh no reason really i was just curious! lol my turtles swimming happily in water lol
Justin...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:00 pm   

Oh! In the future, give more info in your posts. I think you had everyone worried!
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
TheComputerGremlin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:52 pm   Re: How long can turtles live out of water

I know this is years and years later, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their information. We are having our house painted and re-floored and I was in a bit of a panic as to what to do with my turtles and if they would be alright outside of the tank until the work was finished. Everyone's answers were very helpful in my decision to try to set up the tanks in the small area that I had left that was neither getting painted nor floored.

Again, thank you.
2 RES, Chi, Mango (11 yrs old)
1 Eastern Painted, Painter (4 yrs)
7 Cats, Misao, Dexter, Schuichi, Elonah, Iris, Isis, Zoe (various)
Bluekachu

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:52 pm   Re: How long can turtles live out of water

Good luck with your renovation and welcome to the forum!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion