Feeding and Nutrition :: Stopped eating pellets?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:15 pm   Stopped eating pellets?

:?: We have been feeding our 4 year old 8-9" slider pellets with some dried (worms, crickets, shrimp) protein mixed in. This has been fine. She has a voracious appetite and usually will eat as much as I will put in front of her. Lately she has begun to eat less and less of the pellets but all the dried protein. I tried using just pellets and she eats but leaves a lot of it uneaten. She's never left any pellets uneaten before. She will still eat all the dried protein but my understanding is that this provides minimal nutrition.
Is this something to worry about? Any suggestions? :msgreen:

Roazbear
Roazbear in Austin
Keeper of Abigail the Redslider
Roazbear

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:57 pm   Re: Stopped eating pellets?

Sounds like too much protein and 8-9" @ 4 years is pretty big and is/was like;y overfed. I would remove the dried stuff, use a good pellet and reevaluate the other parts of her diet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:55 pm   Re: Stopped eating pellets?

She gets the protein meal every third day and red leaf the other two. She has never eaten any other fruits or vegetables. Does this sound OK?
If I am over feeding her what is the rule of thumb for how much she should get fed? I have only had her for about a year and was following the feeding instructions from the guy who raised her.
Roazbear in Austin
Roazbear

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:49 pm   Re: Stopped eating pellets?

Introducing other stuff is to help offer variety because it does seem that they sometimes tire of the same stuff.

Can you be more clear on what she's getting? A S-M-T-W-Th-F-S breakdown would be helpful.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:24 pm   Re: Stopped eating pellets?

She gets red leaf Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday. Pellets on Friday, Sunday and, Tuesday. Usually mixed with dried protein. The guy who raised her only gave her protein. He told me the size of her head is the amount of food to give her. I've cut way back on the dried protein. I can't get her to eat any other vegetable than the lettuce.
Roazbear in Austin
Roazbear

Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:17 am   Re: Stopped eating pellets?

For veggies, it could be more than the head amount, for protein it should be less, though giving that amount 2x a week should be OK.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition