Feeding and Nutrition :: 5 Year Old Male Red Eared Sliders Refuse to Eat?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:26 pm   Re: 5 Year Old Male Red Eared Sliders Refuse to Eat?

Rocks aren't usually recommend since they take away space for water. UVB bulbs are generally pretty weak, so I don't expect them to really help. If you take them outdoors often, then you won't need a UVB lamp. You should still have lights for basking.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:09 am   Re: 5 Year Old Male Red Eared Sliders Refuse to Eat?

steve wrote:Rocks aren't usually recommend since they take away space for water. UVB bulbs are generally pretty weak, so I don't expect them to really help. If you take them outdoors often, then you won't need a UVB lamp. You should still have lights for basking.

Here's my plan (just for the cold season):
- Two 56 Qt Plastic Tubs (insufficient space so I have to get small but big enough for a turtle)
- Two DIY Basking areas, which I have to research on
- Two heaters if necessary, unless room temperature is warm enough
- Clean water and ReptoMin sticks

Will keeping them in temporary homes stunt their growth? :o

Maybe when spring comes, I will look on Craigslist for a tank for both of the turtles. Big enough that I can divide the tank to prevent aggression as they are fighting these days.
Jimmy
Turtlesarecoool

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:50 am   Re: 5 Year Old Male Red Eared Sliders Refuse to Eat?

I'm guessing you will take them out during the day? At what times will you bring them in?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:08 am   Re: 5 Year Old Male Red Eared Sliders Refuse to Eat?

steve wrote:I'm guessing you will take them out during the day? At what times will you bring them in?

I would take them out during the day, but when they're in the tub together, they'd fight forever. I'll probably bring them in late afternoon until the next morning.
Jimmy
Turtlesarecoool

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition