Habitat - Outdoor :: Hard water

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:56 am   Hard water

Hi
I planning out a pond for my turtles and one of my problems is working out the filtration.

My first option is a filter I have it worked out but my problem is a filter big enough for that body would require a large pump. I can get it but it's quite expensive.

My other option is to not have a filter. I have been lucky enough to have a large spring near my house which I can use. It was suggested to me that I could just change the water cause I have access to a practically limitless amount of water. Problem is it's hard water.

So that's my situation.
Thoughts?

The pond will be 900 liters btw
datturtlelover0115

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:25 pm   Re: Hard water

How hard is the water? If I did the conversion right, 240 gallons is too small to not filter.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:15 pm   Re: Hard water

Miscalculation. The old pool I'll be converting into a pond is 3500 litres
datturtlelover0115

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:16 pm   Re: Hard water

Too small to not filter. That means it may not required a filter once it reaches a certain size?
datturtlelover0115

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:27 pm   Re: Hard water

datturtlelover0115 wrote:Miscalculation. The old pool I'll be converting into a pond is 3500 litres

Much better for outdoor use. How's the shade, temperature situation? How deep is it?

datturtlelover0115 wrote:Too small to not filter. That means it may not required a filter once it reaches a certain size?

It depends on how the tank is stocked. How many turtles are we looking at?

As for the hard water situation, how about a mix the spring water and soft water?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor