Habitat - Indoor :: Algae Control

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:14 am   Re: Algae Control

I have found this article, it might help.
http://animals.mom.me/snails-freshwater ... -6941.html
Damian

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:42 pm   Re: Algae Control

My common map had alge growing on his back, it was like that when I got him and I cleaned it off but it came right back what do i do?
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:51 pm   Re: Algae Control

You'll have to look into your water situation and setup. Most likely you'll have to reduce the amount of nutrients for the algae plus you need to have your map bask more.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:19 am   Re: Algae Control

He basks all the time . None of my other turtles have alge on them JUST him , and I'm about to upgrade tanks so I'm getting everything brand new
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:20 am   Re: Algae Control

And what do you mean by nutrients for the alge ?
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:36 am   Re: Algae Control

Has the shell been thoroughly cleaned? Because the algae will come back quickly if there is still some left. Nutrients... light and excess food/waste in the tank helps encourage algae to grow.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:57 pm   Re: Algae Control

How can I get it all completely off ? I just wiped at it with a damp cloth and it came off , could I use a toothbrush ?
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:00 pm   Re: Algae Control

Yes, pick up a new, soft toothbrush. Scrub, wipe, repeat. Just remember that most turts do not like it and will squirm and scratch.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:54 pm   Re: Algae Control

Ok I will , and I'm getting a new tank and filter and everything here in a few weeks . So all will be clear ! I hope ! I'll let you know how it goes :) thanks for the advice I wasn't sure about the toothbrush I didn't wanna hurt him !
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:14 pm   Re: Algae Control

Also, if you do it too long, you might get peed on, pooped on or fanned on (if a male). :oops:
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:58 pm   Re: Algae Control

I've been peed on several times by my midland painted . It just shoots out ! Lol it's like ahhgg he just peed on me !
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:10 pm   Re: Algae Control

Yeah, peeing is not the worst thing :D
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:46 pm   Re: Algae Control

Lol I know xD
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:52 am   Re: Algae Control

Hey , turtle girl ! How's that alge on your map? Just thinking ,haha, something I done years ago and to this day that works for me. With the amount of light's we use for turtles , food supply in water column alge will be there. We can't mess with the light needed but remove the food supply. Also no two turtles bask alike , I had some love the water more... Live plants compete more efficiently for the nutrients in the water than alge thus starving the alge out. I found to me that Hornwort does the best for that ! Even if they eat it ... it grows faster than say hyacinth or anacharis also not as messy less to clean up. If you find some in the wild like me just wash well , I also quarantine them in my plant tank for a little. Free Plants ! In my 150gallon tub I keep a minimum of what equals to 15 or more bunches if you buy at a LPS. Won't work with only one bunch from a LPS they are small , maybe 4-5 stalks. Find what works for your tank size. As it grows free snacks for your friends. I let some float and tie some down to me looks good and works for me and my water parameters. Sorry so late takes me some time to read every post in forum.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 pm   Re: Algae Control

I have to first admit I've read only about 1/4th of this thread, but what I have seen am I correct that algae do not present a danger to the turtles? Honestly, as long as it doesn't effect water quality negatively and viewing pleasure, I'm likely to let it just do it's thing. Especially their submerged resting areas, it would seem a little algae would make the surface more slick and easy to glide on and off.

I've recently moved my tank to a location that provides a ton of indirect sunlight (only about 30-45 minutes early morning direct) and I'm getting algae on the sun facing side, not on the glass but on surfaces they can more easily adapt to. Absent any of you chiming up and telling me I'm in for trouble, I'll let it go a few months and see how it behaves. I figure worse comes to worse I'll scrape, clean, replace as needed, but until then, no harm no foul, right?
ekuyper

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor