Habitat - Indoor :: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:17 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

xfallwithmexo wrote:ha, then a 32540593454 dollar bill to the ER when i electrocute myself, if i manage to get out alive

I'll be impressed if you manage that. 110V can really only kill you in extenuating circumstances, such as if you're in water or something. You'll just get a nasty shock and your arm will be sort of numb for a few hours. It's happened to me a few times. I used to change outlets from time to time without even shutting off the breaker, and sometimes I'd do it and manage not to trip the breaker, other times, trip it, and other times still become a grounding point. *sigh* Yeah, I'm that girl.

Thanks for the tip, VC, I'd never have thought of this, and now you better believe I'm doing it. Well worth the few dollars. Just added it to my to do list in prep for my turts!
katie_turtle

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:15 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

My kind of girl, I also don't bother with breakers when working on outlets and light fixtures. As long as you are careful and don't do stupid things like grab the two hot wires with opposite hands (allowing the current to flow across the heart), the worst that will happen is a nasty jolt.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:20 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

PridgNYC wrote:My kind of girl, I also don't bother with breakers when working on outlets and light fixtures. As long as you are careful and don't do stupid things like grab the two hot wires with opposite hands (allowing the current to flow across the heart), the worst that will happen is a nasty jolt.

Woo! :D

You're kinda girl, eh...? :wink:
katie_turtle

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:09 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

Well, yes, I have a lot of respect for women that are willing to do things that might break a nail, like changing sockets without turning off the breaker, or doing their own mechanical work, or home repairs, etc. Women should know how to take care of themselves. Many don't. Of course many of those also don't know how to sew or cook either, so I have learned those skills as well. You have to respect people that are willing to learn whatever it takes to get by without relying on others.
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

PridgNYC wrote:Well, yes, I have a lot of respect for women that are willing to do things that might break a nail, like changing sockets without turning off the breaker, or doing their own mechanical work, or home repairs, etc. Women should know how to take care of themselves. Many don't. Of course many of those also don't know how to sew or cook either, so I have learned those skills as well. You have to respect people that are willing to learn whatever it takes to get by without relying on others.

For me it was always a technical challenge, the fun of doing something because you can. It has nothing to do with one upping other women, or anything of that kind. Most of the women I know are pretty capable anyway - it was two women who helped me carry my tank up a fifth floor walkup. You'll often find me sticking out from under my car like the Wicked Witch of the East, wearing something way too fancy and short for the job, changing my oil. :P According to my friend, I drive like I work for the CIA.

Still can't parallel park for anything, though, lol.
katie_turtle

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

And that is why you deserve my respect, because you don't compete with other women (which usually consists of who has the nicest things or is prettiest) but focus on the technical challenges that will benefit you. We need more people like you in the technology industry, there aren't nearly enough women in that field.

And parallel is difficult enough without the additional challenges placed upon us NY drivers of tiny slots to insert your car. Can you read a map though?
PridgNYC

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:08 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

I can read a map easily, and I'm pretty good at identifying direction without a compass, to top it off. I just usually use a GPS.
katie_turtle

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:19 am   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

This is the first time I am hearing about this danger with aquariums/turtle tanks. Since I rent my home I didn't really want to mess with the electrical so I ordered two of the GFCI power strips for my setups. Better safe than sorry for sure. Thanks for the headsup!
L.West

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:03 am   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

My goodness, good thing I started looking through these forums! I was not aware if the danger that could come from using a regular outlet! :oops: I will definitely be at the store tomorrow to purchase an outlet with GFCI. Thank you to original poster! :mrgreen:
Mommy of Tophat
1-RES
DaisyDUB

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:45 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

I've seen this advice before and I don't understand it. And, before we start telling me how electrical physics work... I've apprenticed with an electrician.
I understand why there are GFI in bathrooms - it's to prevent the water from creating a circuit. I understand that. What I don't understand is how the water in the turtle tank is going to travel the four feet from the tank to the outlet... where I live outlets are about 6" off the ground. If my tank or my filter sprung a leak (which presumably this is where the water is coming from) the water would pool on the ground. The room is big enough (a hallway is big enough) to ensure that the water wouldn't flood up to the outlet. Water, as it flows downward, is more likely to fall through my floor and leak into the ceiling below me. So how exactly is my non-GFI outlet a hazard? Is the hazard that water might leak out of the tank and flow down a cord into the outlet?
I guess I just don't understand where the water is coming from.
Pythagoras

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:06 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

Either, flow down a tank cord or flood onto a powerstrip on the floor.

Another possibility could be a crack in the glass on a heater element that uses you as a circuit when you stick your hand in.

All the possibilities are slim, but I figured the cost of a GFI outlet is cheap.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:31 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

I agree with ljapa. Glass heaters can break in the tank and recently, Visitherm Steath heaters have exploded, damaging several tanks.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:57 pm   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

Well now I'm a bit confused. Look at this 'caution' that came with my GFCI 5 plug adapter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B14f96 ... p=drivesdk
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:34 am   Re: SAFETY FIRST - PLEASE READ!

I think the caution is about water touching any exposed areas or exposed wiring.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor