Feeding and Nutrition :: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:56 am   Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

Hi guys I'm new to this site. I recently took home a hatching turtle from a small lake in my town. (Sioux City, Ia) he was just a little bigger than a quarter when I brought him home a few weeks ago. So far he destroys the earthworms I throw in there, loves crickets and absolutely demolishes the little red minnows I toss in there. The other night I threw 5 in there and they were all gone in the morning! Should I be concerned? I took this animal from the wild and I'm gonna do everything I can to make sure he has a happy and healthy life. Please give me some pointers. Really wanting to talk to some fellow owners.
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:28 pm   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

Is it legal to take a turtle from the wild and keep it as a pet in your city? Might be worth looking at..

And I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, just don't feed it too much or you'll have an obese turtle...

How much gallons are your tank? Do you have a basking spot and a UVA/UVB light?? The lights are importent for your turtles growth...
Fish keeper & Turtle know it all... Ish
Rizvan

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:37 pm   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

I'm all good legally cause k didn't buy the turtle. The fish were hitting so hard that day I'm shocked it wasn't eaten anyway..
Right now he's in a 10 gallon set up. He has a filter, 60 watt heating bulb and a 13 w uvb light. Right now I see a very happy and active turtle. Sort of a begger lol. Not so interested in dried foods or pellets though. I keep trying. If he doesn't go for them I take out the dried food after about a half hour. I'm also having a little trouble uploading a pic.

Also, my cousin offered me a 30 or 50 gallon tank for cheap! So I most definitely plan on getting him set up in that by the end of the summer.
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:45 pm   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

Iowaturtle wrote:I'm all good legally cause k didn't buy the turtle. The fish were hitting so hard that day I'm shocked it wasn't eaten anyway..
Right now he's in a 10 gallon set up. He has a filter, 60 watt heating bulb and a 13 w uvb light. Right now I see a very happy and active turtle. Sort of a begger lol. Not so interested in dried foods or pellets though. I keep trying. If he doesn't go for them I take out the dried food after about a half hour. I'm also having a little trouble uploading a pic.

Also, my cousin offered me a 30 or 50 gallon tank for cheap! So I most definitely plan on getting him set up in that by the end of the summer.

I'm really not much of an expert so I'm not sure about the pellets/dried foods, but since he munches on fish I'm pretty sure everything is fine.

For a picture you can use imgur if you want, post it in imgur then copy/paste the link here :)
Rizvan

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:20 am   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

I think Rizvan is saying it is illegal in most places to take a turtle from the wild, just as it is to release them. Specific breeds might have their own subset of regulations, but it's generally frowned upon to take wild animals from their homes. Anyway, it looks like it is allowed in Iowa.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:47 am   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

steve wrote:I think Rizvan is saying it is illegal in most places to take a turtle from the wild, just as it is to release them. Specific breeds might have their own subset of regulations, but it's generally frowned upon to take wild animals from their homes. Anyway, it looks like it is allowed in Iowa.

Thanks! And for sure.. Had to do a little checking up and I think I'm all good. What's done is done lol I definitely have to give the turtle a happy and healthy life thigh since I've made the commitment. It's fun. Another question I have is are they okay in solidarity? Should I consider a second turtle? I feel bad for him being all alone besides a few fish in his tank. I am a beginner owner though and I don't wanna overwhelm myself. I just wonder when the best time to introduce another turtle, if ever, would be.. Considering this guy just hatched this year
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:29 am   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

Iowaturtle wrote:
steve wrote:I think Rizvan is saying it is illegal in most places to take a turtle from the wild, just as it is to release them. Specific breeds might have their own subset of regulations, but it's generally frowned upon to take wild animals from their homes. Anyway, it looks like it is allowed in Iowa.

Thanks! And for sure.. Had to do a little checking up and I think I'm all good. What's done is done lol I definitely have to give the turtle a happy and healthy life thigh since I've made the commitment. It's fun. Another question I have is are they okay in solidarity? Should I consider a second turtle? I feel bad for him being all alone besides a few fish in his tank. I am a beginner owner though and I don't wanna overwhelm myself. I just wonder when the best time to introduce another turtle, if ever, would be.. Considering this guy just hatched this year

Just so there are no dominance issues, make sure your second turtle ( if you're gonna get one ) is about the same age/size as your first one, I'm not sure about aggression, but I think you can introduce them at any time, unless your turtles species is known to be aggressive around others that look like each other, which I think mud turtles are but painted turtles I don't think so... So you might want to look and see if the painted species is aggressive around others, otherwise everything should be fine.
Rizvan

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:30 am   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

OH and maybe get your 20-50 gallon tank from your cousin when you introduce your turtle to his new friend
Rizvan

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:21 am   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

Rizvan wrote:OH and maybe get your 20-50 gallon tank from your cousin when you introduce your turtle to his new friend

Will do and thanks a lot for your reply :) One is good for now
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:06 pm   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

Since it's a hatchling, I'd probably keep it alone. Male sliders and painteds can be aggressive and should be separated from other turtles.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:52 pm   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

steve wrote:Since it's a hatchling, I'd probably keep it alone. Male sliders and painteds can be aggressive and should be separated from other turtles.

Thank you Steve. Sounds good. I'll just work on setting him up a cool environment so he's got plenty to do
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:21 pm   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

Painteds are small, so you will have a lot of chances to get creative :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:50 pm   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

Awesome!
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:57 pm   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

good luck with your turt :D
Rizvan

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:25 am   Re: Baby western painted turtle eating like crazy! L

@nicholas_carterr is my Instagram. Check my page for pics and videos of him if you like
Iowaturtle

Return to Feeding and Nutrition