Equipment Review and Discussion :: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded tank?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:24 pm   Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded tank?

I am raising a hatchling western painted turtle and for sure going to upgrade him from his current ten gallon set up. My first question I guess is how soon can I do this? He is an excellent swimmer and I feel like he'd do well with some more water to swim and do his thing. Today I saw a 55 gallon aquatic breeder kit with hood, lights, filter, and heater on sale for $149. I should have taken a pic but they had a few of them. I'm thinking of snagging it this Thursday when i get paid if I can make it work. I feel like I could replace one of the lights in the hood with a longer uvb bulb and set his basking area up on the other side. Let me know what you think fellow turtle lovers. I'm just trying to give my turtle the happiest life possible for what I can afford

Side note: I have a 55 gallon tank I can get from my cousin for $30. I just figured I'd be spending $150 atleast on the filter, heater and hood. Thanks
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:07 am   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

You can upgrade at anytime. Turtles are excellent swimmers. Just make sure your turtle has several resting spots where it can have its head out of the water. Fake plants with suction cups work great for that. Also keep in mind you will need a heat lamp. An incandescent or halogen bulb will work just fine for heat.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:13 am   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

Kansasslider wrote:You can upgrade at anytime. Turtles are excellent swimmers. Just make sure your turtle has several resting spots where it can have its head out of the water. Fake plants with suction cups work great for that. Also keep in mind you will need a heat lamp. An incandescent or halogen bulb will work just fine for heat.

Thanks! And for sure, he has both heating and UVB lights. This being a much bigger tank I think I'd have to get a nice tubed UVB light on one side to light up the tank and give what he needs. Possibly up the wattage on my heating bulb for the basking area since it will be a little farther up For now. I'd prolly go 1/3 to half way full to start it out. Idk
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:42 pm   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

I think I answered your post on FB. Upgrade anytime but I would probably skip a kit. Does your cousin's tank include a stand?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:17 pm   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

steve wrote:I think I answered your post on FB. Upgrade anytime but I would probably skip a kit. Does your cousin's tank include a stand?

Hey! Yes you did lol.. I don't believe it does come with a stand. 30 bucks isn't bad. I feel like we have a really sturdy old coffee table around here somewhere for temporary use. Any recommendations on what filter I should run in a 55 gallon?
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:33 am   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

Make sure the table is solid wood, and maybe think about reinforcing the legs or something. That thing could weigh close to 500 pounds when filled up. $30 is fine as long as the tank is in like-new condition. With the filter choice, FX6 is pretty powerful but it would not use that with a hatchling... maybe get a simple hang-on filter like an Aquaclear. Then when he's bigger, get the FX.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:51 pm   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

Nice, thanks so much Steve. Found me a nice 20 gallon. Gonna stick two little hang on the side filter in it. Should stay nice and crystal clear untill I make my upgrade. So far my hatchling is doing amazing. He eats everything I give him (EXCEPT THE PELLETS) , swims, chases fish, basks. Not too shy of a little guy either. Comes right up to you at the glass. Feeling better and better about it. Just want him to grow up healthy.
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:40 pm   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

What kind of pellets are you using?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:25 pm   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

I'm using baby repro-min
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:25 pm   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

Repto**
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:18 pm   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

That's fine, but look into Omega One when you need a new batch.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:27 pm   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

Will do!!
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:28 am   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

I actually got him to eat a few pellets. Just got home very late from work. When I turn on my room lights I can see in his tank a little. He goes night hunting chasing after fish. So I opened the top and gave him a few dried shrimp as a treat. Threw in a pellet in the mix and he went for it! Slowly but surely. I will always feed him fish, greens, worms and stuff but I'm happy to see him go for a pellet. I think he's understanding that if food is offered he better eat! Lol
Iowaturtle

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:48 pm   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

He has no problem eating his greens?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:19 pm   Re: Can I buy a "fish tank kit" and use it for an upgraded t

steve wrote:He has no problem eating his greens?

Nope. Every other day I toss in a piece of red leaf lettuce or romain about the size of him. He totally munches on it. At the end of the day I scoop out the leftovers.
Iowaturtle

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion