Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Filters

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:31 pm   Filters

Steve, I still haven't upgraded my filter but I want to. You suggested an Aqueon 120 gal. So is this a regular aquarium filter. I see some filters that are supposedly for turtles. Which should I get?
kathyqtaylor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:01 pm   Re: Filters

Can you repost some information about your turtle and tank (and near future plans)? I'd recommend an Aqueon Pro heater, I don't think they have many filter options.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:08 pm   Re: Filters

I have 1 female in a 40 gal breeder & the filter is a Tetra 40 gal. The tank gets dirty really quickly and maybe I am feeding her too much but I know I need a bigger filter. You told me an Aqueon 120 gal. Is that a specific turtle filter or a general fish tank filter? Should I get a canister filter or one that hangs in the tank? It's kind of confusing to me. Did you mean Aqueon Pro Filter? Re: near future plans, to keep her healthy and happy.
kathyqtaylor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:49 am   Re: Filters

This was from the previous conversation:
steve wrote:Usually go by 3 times what it's rated for, so for a 40 gallon tank, look for a filter that is rated for around 120 gallons. You have a lot of choices besides of an aquaclear, namely off brand canister filters but that depends on your budget and space. To be honest, I always try to shoot for 75-78F but adult RES should be fine in water that is a bit cooler. If you get a good heater, it will have an adjustable thermostat and requires no maintenance. Consider an Aqueon Pro, just remember to unplug them when you're changing the tank water.

Aqueon is a heater brand. The 120 gallon comment is in regards to a filter.

So for a 40 gallon tank filled at least 2/3, I'd look into these:

canister suggestion (lots of media storage, more configurations, should be kept under tank)
Penn Plax Cascade 1000

hang on suggestion (cheaper, tank needs higher water level, might be noisier, easy setup)
AquaClear 110
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:10 pm   Re: Filters

Hi, Steve. So I got an Exo Terra Turtle Filter FX 350. It is an external filter. After 2 weeks w it running in addition to my Tetra 40 gal filter I feel like I need to clean it. The water is hazy and I don't feel like it is healthy for the turtle. So, am I feeding the turtle too much? I am feeding her Omega One w occasional lettuce and a cricket every now and then. Maybe once or twice a week. Can you tell me how much to feed her? The length of her carapace is 5 inches, front to back. Can you tell me grams of the Omega One pellets?
kathyqtaylor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:49 am   Re: Filters

The Exo Terra is not a good filter (and neither are most "turtle" products or Exo Terra goods) so you will likely need to clean it out sooner than later plus don't forget about partial water changes. Hard for me to estimate the pellet amount, next time I pick up Omega One I will check for you.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:29 pm   Re: Filters

Thanks, Steve. I am going to return the Exoterra. I was thinking about getting 2 more Tetra 40 filters which would equal 120 gal. Does that work out? I'm driving myself crazy trying to get the right filter system. I got the turtle in May and I have been cleaning out the tank every 2 weeks because I can't stand the hazy water.
kathyqtaylor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:17 am   Re: Filters

I'd rather deal with one, more powerful filter. Remember, you need to fit in 3 types of media into a filter:
mechanical (foam pads) - collects physical waste in water
chemical (carbon) - removes chlorine/chloramines and other fine particles in water
biological (rings, stars) - allows beneficial bacterial to colonize in the filter and further break down waste

With a new filter, the water might be a bit hazy to start and it's "cycling"... it's the nitrogen cycle starting which breaks down toxic nitrogen into less harmful components. Don't forget, you also need to do partial water changes as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:29 pm   Re: Filters

OK, so I will go for a canister filter. If you don't mind giving me a couple of specific brand/specifics of canister filters that you feel are good I will get it. I don't have enough knowledge to decide which one would be best.
kathyqtaylor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:15 pm   Re: Filters

40 gallon tank, right? Maybe the Penn Plax Cascade 1000 seems to be a middle of the road choice.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:08 pm   Re: Filters

I was looking on Amazon and I saw a couple of different Sun Sun canister filters w UV filter for $80ish. Should I get one w UV filter? I can afford up to $150.
kathyqtaylor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:12 pm   Re: Filters

Some like them, just be aware they are budget filters with a knock off design. While UV filters are pretty good, do keep in mind those bulbs need to be replaced regularly.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:17 pm   Re: Filters

Oh, good to know. OK, Penn Plax it is. Thanks, Steve.
kathyqtaylor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:29 pm   Re: Filters

Have you looked into a smaller fluval? Not sure about their price but I do know the fluval fx 6 is a great filter. So I guess you could say I like fluval.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:19 pm   Re: Filters

I received the Penn Plax 1000 yesterday. There are 3 floss pads, 1 coarse sponge, and 1 carbon mesh bag. I watched a few YouTube videos & it sounds like I need biologic filters, too. I haven't set it all up yet until I see if I need to buy other stuff. What else should I get for my 1 female RES adult, 40 gal breeder, feeding Omega One pellets, and a few krill daily for treats.
kathyqtaylor

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.