Equipment Review and Discussion :: Ceramic Heat Emitter Advice

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:21 am   Ceramic Heat Emitter Advice

I keep my RES in the garage in a kiddie pool that has about 80 gallons of water. I live in CA so the winters are mild but it can still get much colder out there than I would like.

I bought a 250 watt ceramic heat emitter. It's been plugged in for a few hours and I can still touch the dome of the light fixture because it's only slightly hot. Considering I can't touch the dome of normal heat lamps without getting burned I'm thinking the CHE isn't working. Does anyone have any experience with them? Should I return it? Both the lamp and the CHE are brand new but I'm thinking the lamp is working because it did get hot just not by very much. I was also thinking it could possibly be the outlet since it's a weird garage outlet but I have no idea. Any advice?
LionTurtle

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:12 am   Re: Ceramic Heat Emitter Advice

Personally, I think ceramic heat emitters are not reliable. Some brands state that you're not to use domes with them as well. I'd return it if possible. Any particular reason you went with a CHE?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:51 pm   Re: Ceramic Heat Emitter Advice

I was actually hoping someone might know a good brand. I returned the first one because it wasn't working and got a second and one that also isn't working.

I can't seem to get my turtle's basking platform warm enough so that she will bask. I was hoping to get a 250 watt so that it would help keep the water warm as well. In the summer it's warm enough so that I don't have to use a submersible heater which I like because I've read so many horror stories about heaters breaking and killing their fish so I'm always worrying mine might break and kill my turtle. The idea was to heat up the area where the kiddie pool is to summer temps and forgo the water heater.

I have two cement garden stones stacked on each other but the surface is always cold. What wattage do you think I'll need to get her basking platform warm enough with a regular heat lamp?
LionTurtle

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:16 pm   Re: Ceramic Heat Emitter Advice

How close was the emitter to the ramp? I would have no expectations of it warming up the water. Have you considered getting a mercury vapor bulb?

How big is she and how cold does it go?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:45 pm   Re: Ceramic Heat Emitter Advice

I readjusted the CHE so it's closer and she's basking now! It's about a two feet away from the basking platform, maybe a little more. Before it was a few feet away and it wasn't getting very warm. I have thought about a mercury vapor bulb but this seems to be working for now. I'll probably try one out if/when the CHE and uvb bulb goes out.

Do you have any recommendation for submersible heaters? I'm currently using the 300 watt version of this heater: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I ... UTF8&psc=1

It's getting a little old so I wouldn't mind upgrading it. I'm not sure how warm it's been keeping the water. At night she's usually right next to it so I worry she's too cold.

Her shell length is probably around nine or ten inches. The absolute low in the middle of the night has been around 44F but it usually stays in the 50s and during the day it's in the 70s. It stays about this cold throughout the winter.
LionTurtle

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:22 am   Re: Ceramic Heat Emitter Advice

Eheim heaters are pretty good. I have a few of them in my tanks. Aqueon Pro is also a good one (with a lifetime warranty). I would take another look at your electrical outlet though, make sure it's completely safe. Also have your electrical equipment plugged into a GFCI for safety.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:10 pm   Re: Ceramic Heat Emitter Advice

I have a surge protector but I'll look into getting a GFCI as well. Thank you for the recommendations for heaters.

Do you know if it's safe to put fake plants that aren't made for aquariums with turtles? Like the kind you'd buy at a craft store?
LionTurtle

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:23 am   Re: Ceramic Heat Emitter Advice

I wouldn't put them in the water. Those not made for aquariums are not as durable and might have paint/glue that would come off.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion