Equipment Review and Discussion :: Heat Lamps

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:35 pm   Heat Lamps

I am just thinking about changing my heat source for a Mississippi Map. Maybe not? Been using ZooMed lamps both UVB and heat for years with good results. That is if you don't count back around 2005- maybe 2008. Think since they reformulated those bad lamps all has been OK. Had mercury vapor until one Halloween a friend came in (big noise) and scared an adult RES. She did a belly flop in the tank ,Big Splash, there went the mercury vapor. Total mess in tank , need not say will never go back to mercury vapor. Only real splashproof I think is the ZooMed splashproof Halogen 2500hr repti tuff. If you shop careful you can find them around $9 for 75 watt. Being that I changed to Mississippi Map turtle's just looking around to see if anything's better. All I read says they are more picky about water/temp/food well they are not RES's. Found a chart that compared about a dozen lamps . Only real splash proof they had was my Zoomed lamp . (??)

Most what I read is that heat emitters are not really for aquatic habitat's. High humidity terrariums , yes. See that some people use them but how splash proof are they with turtles? Mercury vapor was bad enough when that broke... not sure whats in a ceramic lamp??? Can't seem to find out? Don't want to find out the hard way again ! Any ideas or stay with what works for RES's with Mississippi Maps. Thanks'
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:43 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

A ceramic lamp should be splash proof, but anything can happen. I think they are more fragile internally and you don't know when they are not working. I like the warm yellow light that halogens produce, I get them at a hardware store. I don't think they are marketed as splash proof and I have not tested them in that way but they seem pretty durable (PAR30L). It's a bit cheaper than the Repti Tuff, but might not make a difference if you replace them a couple of times a year. I would stick with whats working.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:51 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

Thanks' Steve. In my area the stores Lowes ,HD , Ace ,Sylvania ,Utilitech prices for PAR30L 2500 hr all are high. ( $15-$18) for one. For some crazy reason I can get a turtle bulb 75watt (PAR30l) for $8-$9ea. Amazon has some but you have to watch there vendors some are $23 and others are $8. I get the Repti Tuff $8 one's and they last mostly a year ,longest 14 months. Will stick with that. I got away from another forum due to lack/small percentage of replies. If not for you Site Admin , veipacray/moderator , jenacro/moderator , well seems like ya'll three are all over the place in this forum. Thanks! Turtle Talk...how about Steve's Talk or SVJ Turtle Talk. Anyway Thanks! Other fourms I've been on even the administrators did not care...
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:55 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

How long do you have the lamp on? I've been getting 2-packs of 53W Philips Par30L for around $14. The ZooMed doesn't look like Par30L or Par30. What wattage do you get? I suspect they just repackage halogens under their own brand.

As for the forum, the past couple of years have been tough. Social media really takes peoples attention away from the old-fashioned forum and very few forums of any kind do well now.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:21 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

Sorry , getting old forgot this post. Use 50 , 75 and 100 watt. Some tanks I use two fixtures set up different with timers so turtle can decide what they want. Time wise I mix it up , (6-10hr's on). Found cheap timers kills the bulbs also cheap fixtures. Gone through several fixtures to, they have cheap porcelain in them. I go to an electrical supply house get the best porcelain sockets they have and can get bulbs to last longer. That with high grade timers works. Before same bulbs I could only get 5-7 months out a bulb. Now I get on some 12-14 months. I have a light on my house hard to get to very high. Socket good porcelain good wire on day and night for 3 years. Was / Is only a 5000hr bulb 100watt... it's a test I'm doing to see if the off and on is what really kills bulbs. Filament from hot to cold wears a bulb out. Got the idea from the Smithsonian !!! One of Edison's bulbs still works although at a very low wattage only turned off a few times in a controlled sealed box. What's up with that? Today even the better material's used are ... lets just say 2016 most everything made cheap in another country.

About forums I agree with you must be the times... wish I had more time to give have nine hobbies...

Forgot only difference with a PAR30L and a PAR30 is the length of the neck: PAR30's---about a 3.6" neck (short)
PAR30L---about a 4.5" neck on maybe little longer (long)

The zoo meds are the short neck.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:58 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

Interesting if higher quality equipment will have a dramatic effect. Post your test results when you're ready :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:06 am   Re: Heat Lamps

Being that test so far has the bulb at double its life I say GREAT ! Difference already showing up. But will keep test going and will see how long. Sure others like me will and have come across bulbs that burned out in a week , just bad bulb. I have no problem returning it for refund keep all receipts. Five years ago Sylvania long life bulb went out. Store refused to replace $$$. Sylvania gave trouble too. Persistence paid off!!!
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:49 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

Great post litefoot. This was an interesting read! I definitely agree on keeping receipts. Bought a "heat bulb" for my turtle a few months ago, just to change it up and see if it really made a dramatic difference in heating compared to what I was using (just a regular household bulb) and the danged thing died in less than a month! My household bulbs were going for a year+ with daily turn on/off. I didn't keep the receipt though and was out the money...major disappointment. Perhaps had a bad bulb.
marie_09

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:50 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

Thanks' Marie
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:53 am   Re: Heat Lamps

I had been using cheap target lamp fixtures for years, I was getting 4-6 months out of the bulbs. One of them died, so I've been using my old but premium exo terra clamp lamp, so I'll be able to add to the data once available. The bulbs are Philips PAR30L 75W Equivalent.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:55 am   Re: Heat Lamps

Just replaced the bulb in my exo terra fixture. The bulb lasted 3 months -- I'm not sure if it was a new bulb when I started to reuse that lamp, but the lifespan is below average for me.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:03 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

We talk about something and here comes that old law. Things will go wrong in any given situation , if you give them a chance. [ Murphy's law ] My test may not be scientific but for me I'm seeing results... So far in my area , Louisiana , Sylvania bulbs overall are doing the best out of six different types . A lot comes into play storage shipping packaging even that stock person??? Then as I already found out a high quality fixture. This hobby has a high cost to it for a healthy setup. If you go cheap your pet pays the price. Doing lots of homework for that pet you tamed feels like I'm back in school. In doing that homework found you must check up on different company's and there products more so today. That is 2016 cheap products even made in the US not just overseas. Highest price does not always give best product. In my sixty's now and doing this for more than half my life. Must be me , just sad greed / profit in 2016 are more important than a good product or company name! Saw a bulb other day online cheap...10,000hrs ? 25 yrs ? That is on there chart if used ONE point something hours a day. Come on , how about real life use?
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:23 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

I initially used GE PAR30s and they seemed to last longer, but their prices have gone up dramatically. They're harder to find now too.

I completely agree about the misrepresentation of usage. That's just they way things are, especially on nutrition labels and serving sizes. You always have to do your own homework and hope companies stand by their product.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:35 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

Hey litefoot, whats your end goal? Do you just want a better way to control heat and protect the bulb from damage? If so, would moving the fixture be a possibility? Is the basking area/aquarium an open top? If it is, how would you feel about closing it? That way you could use a different type of bulb, smaller even, and maybe angle the fixture so that if water does splash, it hits the fixture and not the bulb. As marie pointed out, a regular house bulb if properly and safely used can last a really long time.
Inmate1024

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 pm   Re: Heat Lamps

Hey Steve , GE PAR30's are second in my test so far.
Inmate got all that down pretty good. I made a promise few years ago to do more homework and get involved. At my old age I want to see myself and others get some control back. Mislabeling like bulbs in fine print last 25 or more years. That is if you only use it a minute a day. Food , as Steve said , nutrition/serving size. In New Orleans I won against the RTA , took eight months , four city meetings , got the neighborhood together and all is better now. Won against four major truck lines. But my big project is the Danner Brown flood mitigation grant project. That will not work , everywhere they have been in this country been sued. (failure) Was just a way government gave out money to company's so they can say they used all the budget. If it would be good or not. Since Katrina in New Orleans we have been a test ground for all kind of ( B.S.) and test for flood protection. Not just here but all the country need to stand up more. Either for label laws or what ever. There is way too much waste in 2016 more of us need to take a better stand. Or keep paying more for stuff that doesn't work. I remember when pay phones were going to 25 cents from 10 cents what an up roar there was. Today cell phones $1.00 or more a minute or $40 plus plans with no complaint's , they just pay it. I do my homework now , some battles I will win and some I will not. Like my turtles , pets , not to me but family members. Just want what's best. Sorry for my rant maybe I should have been born in 1900. Just looking for better. Thanks' for your interest on my setup Inmate , again sorry for any rant!
litefoot

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion